Laxatives not for weak stomachs SERIOUS QUESTION

Options
ALL the info i got was from WEB MD and a few other places....

Ok, im going to be honest and a little bit gross sounding. I dont always use the restroom "2" everyday. Their are times when i go every 3rd day. Im reading a healthy person goes 2-3 times a day. Also, with this i have read that when you take laxatives, it cleans out the intestines of "left over waste". Things that add up in the walls of your intestines and cause a weight gain. So, what im saying is that I do need the laxatives because of the issue (temp). Ive been using then for this being my fourth day. I drink 8-9 glasses of water with these and they said they are good for the water retention during PMS as well... which is what i have right now! boo :(

The question- Am i losing water weight or actual weight? I went from 113 to 111.2 in these 4 days. I weighed at different times of the day with both and have seen the same numbers. Im stopping it today because i hear they're addictive. And thats the last thing i need! Tell me what you think please.

Replies

• Eliaheart
    Eliaheart Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, yes, laxatives can make your bowels lazy over time. At least, that's what my doctor told me.

What REALLY helps me is Kellog's Guardian Cereal. 1 cup a day. That, plus water, keeps everything going nicely for me. :wink: Plus, these cereal taste really good!!! 110 cal for 1 cup. :)

HTH!
  • jennbissonnette
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion! I appreciate it!!!! Im trying to up my fiber! lol
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I have the #2 problem too. Like every 2-3 days. Upping my grams of fiber really helped out for a little while. I get in my oatmeal, my raisin bran, spinach, apples, banana's and they even have these neat benefiber on the go packs that provide 3 grams of fiber per 16 ounce drink and there yummy flavors like cherry pomegranate, raspberry tea, etc.

If you try to up your fiber to maybe 30 grams a day, I think that might help out a lot with "our" little issue. Also about 2-3 times a week, I drink organic herbal stimulant laxative senna tea. It is made by Traditional Medicinals called Organic Smooth Move. I drink it before bedtime and in the morning....OH BOY...I have no issues going!

I honestly don't think taking laxatives will clean out your 10 year old poop that is clinging onto your colon walls. I think the laxatives may help you go if you have a problem and get rid of the more recent junk but I would not be doing this everyday. Fiber is the key...believe me!

OH and I cannot answer your question if it is just water weight or actual weight. I honestly have no clue.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have issues with that as well. Usually it is all about stress for me. A doctor friend said that taking one of the fiber powders mixed into water is far better than laxatives. It can be hard to get enough fiber in a diet and with bowel issues, it is worth a try.

I think everyone is different and not having a bowel movement everyday means there is something wrong with you. However, if you haven't in 3 days, then there could be problems. It can also eventually cause other issues i.e. hemorrhoids if you push too hard and they can always come back once you have had them once.