I think it is shin splints but what I do about it...

Options
When I run I get a muscle ache on the left side of my shin. It is almost more like a burn. This really slows down my progress. I am training for my first 5k in December and wondered if you guys had any advice or information about this. It gets frustrating and prevents me from really enjoying my run. Thanks for any help. !!

Replies

• JenSpinnaChick
    JenSpinnaChick Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what NOT to do, and that is to keep running through the pain. I did and I ended up with a stress fracture which completely put me out of two races I had signed up for. I was told by my orthopedic surgeon that with the stress fracture I could swim or bike for exercise until healed.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Did you get fitted for your running shoes? I had hip pain and bad shin splints ( to the point where I had bruising all up and down my shins even) before when I would try to stay with running. It totally affected my running. I went to a running store and had my gait evaluated (free of charge) and they told me the best shoe for me. It was dead on! Have not had either problem since. The right shoes make all the difference in the world, especially if your gait is a bit different then the normal (I never knew mine was).
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How do you warm up?
    Do you stretch after running?
    Are your shoes excellent?
    Are you running leaning forward or back? How is your running form (toes in or out)?
    Tenderness post run? Swelling?

Typical treatment includes ice and rest then strength training of the tibialis anterior muscle. But see your doc, could be a couple of different things and a doc should look at it, no Internet or self-diagnosis is the best solution.
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    1. stretch by sitting on your feet like kneeling down I would do this on a carpet with your feet both flexed and relaxed so your toes are pointed out ( I am really bad at explaining this sorry hopefully you understand what i am talking about)

2. if you have a track or even your drive way run backwards but dont fall that is why I say a track you dont have to worry about cars people or other stuff that you could trip over

sorry for all my spelling errors I am sure there are some
  • octleigh
    octleigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. I stretch before. I will try the new stretches and see how that works. I have heard several times that shoes are key so I we have to find a shoe store. I have never been one to spend more then about 50 bucks on sneakers but in this case it sounds like it will be worth it. The discomfort never lasts into the next day but it's good to know not to push it to far just in case. Thanks for the advice. :)