Exercise Fatigue

TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
I have been working out really well lately and have been getting that "few hours after workout" fatigue. Do any of you get that??

Immediately after working out, I am energized and ready to go but a few hours later...wow..it hits me and I need a nap!! LOL

Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    I have been working out really well lately and have been getting that "few hours after workout" fatigue. Do any of you get that??

Immediately after working out, I am energized and ready to go but a few hours later...wow..it hits me and I need a nap!! LOL
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    yep I definitley hear ya there. I actually just snoozed on the couch for about 10 minutes - until the phone rang and woke me up thank God. I can just imagine what my 5 year old what have gotten into!!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Used to get that after rugby matches all the time. Your adrenalin has worn off and your body is realizing that it is depleted. It's a good thing, it means your building muscle. Keep fed during those periods, plenty of protein to build that muscle.
  • nicole777
    nicole777 Posts: 16 Member
    hey guys! i get that feeling. but when im working out, i get on my elliptical machine and i get worn out after just a few minutes. does anyone else get that feeling??
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    hey guys! i get that feeling. but when im working out, i get on my elliptical machine and i get worn out after just a few minutes. does anyone else get that feeling??

Yes, I still get that feeling. It takes a couple of minutes to work through it, but then it starts to feel really good. Just keep telling yourself to give it 5 more minutes.. That usually works for me..
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    I agree with Banks, Protein immediately after your workout will help recovery. I usually get 30 to 40 grams of protein right after my workouts and i do not have that crash
  • nicole777
    nicole777 Posts: 16 Member
    i started my eliptical doing 10 minutes and adding 5 everyday. i was doing so good then i got sick and started over and now i cant get past 15 without feeling really tired.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    I get this around 1 in the afternoon and I do one of two things, I either take a 30 minutes power nap or i get on the treadmill for 30 minutes or so. Both work, but sometimes a nap is really sweet.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    For fatigue while your working out, it may just be the "wall". Runners talk about the wall all the time. I hit it at about 12 minutes, it passes by around 15 - 17 minutes where you get your "second wind". I know people hear the term all the time, but it really is true. For me it's very dramatic. I actually up my speed when I get it on the treadmill. I push it up a whole mph usually. It is where the adrenaline kicks in I think.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    I agree with Banks, Protein immediately after your workout will help recovery. I usually get 30 to 40 grams of protein right after my workouts and i do not have that crash

Same here, I eat some protein right after working out and I never get an afternoon crash.
  • Clara
    Clara Posts: 88 Member

Yes, I still get that feeling. It takes a couple of minutes to work through it, but then it starts to feel really good. Just keep telling yourself to give it 5 more minutes.. That usually works for me..

I get very tired when i start on the eliptical. I was watching the minutes and it felt like time stood still. I switched the display to calories and listen to a 30 minute CD. It goes by a lot faster and because my music has a good beat, I am burning more calories too.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Try eating something small before your workout if you crash mid-workout. Some simple carb/sugar like fruit or 1/2 bagel. Avoid high protein prior to, but everyone is right, it is crucial after. When you're feeling great for that first 30-60 min, the protein has time to digest and get into your system so that you don't crash later.

15 minutes must be a magic number because that's when my breathing catches up with my body's demands and my asthma is less problematic. The 7-12 min window sucks! Don't give up!