Pumpkin Recipe's

Options
vicky1804
vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
Afternoon all,
My local market has pumpkin's in and I have never tried eating them.
I'm going to grab one to try but can anyone recommend any recipe's for me to try?

Thanks

Vicky

Replies

• Gurlyknockout
    Gurlyknockout Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    All the ones I have are not healthy. Do you want those? lol
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I prefer using canned pumpkin. Much less mess than having to carve, shave and boil a whole pumpkin in quarters. Just a thought.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    Maybe you should start with the pumpkin that comes in can's? If you do get a pumpkin, make sure you don't get one of the really big one's. Those are for jack-o-lantern's and not for the eating's. You can use pumpkin's like you would use any kind of gourd's or squash's. I love to make soup's and ravioli's with them's.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Try pumpkin soup... Don't have a specific recipe, but if you google. I do want to try one with Light coconut milk and curry. Generally roast and then puree the pumpkin meat. and then you can do lots of stuff. I think I also saw a recipe on Clean Eating Magazine, for chocolate chip pumpking muffins.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Oh and make sure you DON"T cook with the normal orange "Jack O Lanterns". I seem to recall they are really not that good eating, Last year I had a sugar pumpkin that I got a ton of stuff from.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    Options
    Check in Food Network Magazine, it has some pumpkin recipes in it (I imagine that the next issue of Cooking Light will too) I'm going to (hopefully) be trying a recipe for Spicy Pumpkin and Collard Greens (it's baked in the pumpkin!) Once I try the recipe, I'll pass it on if it's good (I got it out of Food Network Magazine if you want to try it now)
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    Pumpkin bisque
    Ingredients
    Serves: 4 Prep: 20min|Cook: 20min |Total: 40min

NOTE: Ingredients for a changed serving size are based on a calculation and are not reviewed by the author or tested. Please also consider scaling up or down cooking containers as needed.

2 teaspoons olive oil
    2 onions, chopped
    1 large red bell pepper, chopped
    1 potato, peeled and diced
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon oregano
    4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
    1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup chopped roasted unsalted pumpkin seeds
    2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

Directions
    Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell pepper, potato, garlic, and oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onion is softened. Add the broth, pumpkin, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the potato is very tender.
    Transfer the soup to a food processor fitted with a metal blade or a blender (in batches, if necessary). Process until smooth.
    Return the soup to the pot. If necessary, add water to thin to desired consistency. Reheat if needed.
    Ladle into 4 bowls and top each with 2 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds. Drizzle lightly with the balsamic vinegar.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    ^^ Shave and boil??? F that! buy pumpkin,( make sure it is a "sugar pumpkin" those are for eating, not a jack'o'lantern one those wont taste good) when you get home wipe it off with a damp cloth, then using a sharp knife take the stem off ( like for carving) and then slice it down the middle. Scoop out the insides( in the same manor as a melon really) then place in a shallow baking pan ( you can do half at a time), add about 1/2 inch of water and cover with tinfoil, bake at 375 for 45 mins or so, untill the skin starts to come off and the meat of the pumpkin is soft. The skin will come right off so easy!!!

You can then puree and use like canned pumpkin or I like this

I bake a butternut squash at the same time as the pumpkin, not untill its really mushy just most of the way soft, cube them both up and put in a baking dish, cut up some apples into chunks, then add those in too. Add a few pads of any buttery spread you like, cinnamon to taste ( clove, nutmeg or even pumpkin pie spice itself), a sprinkle on top of your favorite sweetener ( I go all out adn use brown sugar as I dont use much, just a few tablespoons) you can use the splenda brown sugar, or some stevia.

Bake that untill its all yummy and bubbly...seriously good, tastes like dessert, but not too bad for you. You can serve it on oatmeal at breakfast time the next day, or on french toast with syrup yum, or I like it as a side with some ham, or other lean meat, and asparagus.
  • schparks
    schparks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin bisque
    Ingredients
    Serves: 4 Prep: 20min|Cook: 20min |Total: 40min

NOTE: Ingredients for a changed serving size are based on a calculation and are not reviewed by the author or tested. Please also consider scaling up or down cooking containers as needed.

2 teaspoons olive oil
    2 onions, chopped
    1 large red bell pepper, chopped
    1 potato, peeled and diced
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon oregano
    4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
    1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup chopped roasted unsalted pumpkin seeds
    2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

Directions
    Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell pepper, potato, garlic, and oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onion is softened. Add the broth, pumpkin, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the potato is very tender.
    Transfer the soup to a food processor fitted with a metal blade or a blender (in batches, if necessary). Process until smooth.
    Return the soup to the pot. If necessary, add water to thin to desired consistency. Reheat if needed.
    Ladle into 4 bowls and top each with 2 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds. Drizzle lightly with the balsamic vinegar.

i need to try this!
  • Brunner26_2
    Options

i need to try this!

It's awesome.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Easy Pumpkin Spice Granola

Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 11 • Serving Size: 1/3 cup
    Calories: 133 • Fat: 4.5 g • Carbs: 21.5 g • Fiber: 3 g • Protein: 3 g • Sugar: 8 g
    Sodium: 10 (without salt)

Bowl of Cereal (1/3 cup granola, 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup apples)
    Servings: 1 • Size: 1 bowl
    Calories: 183 • Fat: 6 g • Carbs: 32 g • Fiber: 5 g • Protein: 3 g • Sugar: 14.5 g
    Sodium: 69 (without salt)

Ingredients:

1/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well and pat dry with paper towel
    1 1/2 cups rolled oats*
    1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
    1/4 cup pepitas (or other seed)
    1/4 cup chopped pecans
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1/4 cup real maple syrup (or honey)
    1/4 cup pumpkin puree
    1 tsp oil (coconut or canola)
    1 tsp pumpkin spice (or more to taste)
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    pinch kosher salt
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325° F.

Spread oats* and quinoa out on a parchment lined baking pan. Toast in the oven 10 minutes, stirring once.

Remove the oats from the oven, pour the toasted oats into a medium bowl and add the ground flaxseeds, pepitas, pecans and dried fruit.

Reduce oven to 300° F.

In a second medium bowl, combine maple syrup, pumpkin puree, oil, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Pour over oats and stir together with a spatula. Spread back onto a baking sheet and bake an additional 20 minutes, or until golden.

Makes 3 2/3 cups.

*Use gluten free oats for gluten allergies.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/09/easy-pumpkin-spiced-granola.html#more
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/breakfastandlunch/r/pumpkinsmoothie.htm

Tried this smoothie this morning and it is yummy. I used plain Greek yogurt, Fage of course.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
  • jonielena
    Options
    What splashwags said! Make sure you get pumpkins that are good for cooking! They're easy to cook - you can find directions w/ a simple google search.

That said, there are so many amaaaazing pumpkin recipes out there. Right now I'm eating one of my pumpkin chocolate protein breakfast bars, and it's pretty delish. They're perfect if you have busy mornings - just make a pan of them on the weekend, cut them up, and keep them in the fridge for the week. Quick, easy, and really healthy! I followed this recipe pretty closely: http://oatcoutureblog.wordpress.com/2011/10/09/pumpkin-spiced-dark-chocolate-granola-bars/ Tip: spread almond butter on top!

Also, I made pumpkin sage ravioli last week and it turned out really well. I plan on making LOTS this fall and freezing them so that I can have them on hand all winter. You can make or buy pasta dough for the raviolis, but I actually used won-ton wrappers (I live in Chinatown so they're easy to find, and cheap - $1.20 for a pack). If you use wonton wrappers (or pasta dough for that matter), I find that the ravioli stay together better if you bake them in the oven for about 10min before boiling. For the filling, mix together: 1.5 cups pumpkin puree, 1 cup ricotta cheese, 3tbsp fresh sage, 1-2tsp salt, 1-2tsp black pepper, 2/4tsp nutmeg. You can also use butternut squash, which is another great and abundantly available flavour this time of year! Also, I eat mostly vegan and gluten-free (made the above-mentioned raviolis for dinner w/ friends), so I plan on making the recipe again and substituting cashew "cheese" for ricotta to make them dairy-free, and making my own gluten free pasta dough. Hoping it turns out!

Pumpkin is really versatile, and you can pretty much add it to anything. In the past I've made pumpkin bread, cupcakes, muffins, pancakes, lasagna, soup... the list goes on. Once you start using it, you won't want to stop 'cause it's so good! Same thing goes for butternut squash. This time of year I buy out my farmer's market, make lots of pumpkin puree, and can or freeze it to use through the winter (ok, not the whole winter, most of it disappears by Christmas).

I love to cook, and I try to stick to local, seasonal produce as much as possible, so feel free to friend me/message me if you want any more recipe ideas :-)
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've just finished making a butternut squash soup which taste very similar to pumpkin so you could use that instead of the squash.

Here's what I used;

870g Squash, Peeled, de-seeded and roughly chopped
    290g Onion, roughly chopped
    15ml Light olive oil
    1 x Knorr Oxo Cube

Seasoning;
    Cumin, red pepper flakes, oregano, garlic, bay leaf, salt & pepper

Just heat the spices up in a large saucepan first and when they give off their aroma add the chopped onion and sauté on a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add a splash of water to the pan if the onions begin to stick to the pan.
    Add the chopped squash, crumble the stock cube over and add enough boiled water to cover the lot.
    Bring to a boil and then simmer until the squash has softened, approx. 10-15 minutes. Check the seasoning and adjust as necessary.
    Take the pan off the heat, wait for it to cool down a bit and remove the bay leaf then either blend the soup in the pan with a stick blender or transfer to a food processor/blender and blitz until it reaches your desired consistency.
    Serve with a dollop of natural yoghurt and a sprinkle of chilli flakes.

Nutritional Info per 100ml (not including the yoghurt);

Calories; 40
    Fat; 1
    Sat. Fat; 0
    Carbs; 7
    Protein; 1
    Fibre; 1

My soup came out at a total of 1450ml and I'll portion it into 250ml tubs for the freezer so each portion will contain only 100 calories, perfect for a snack on these cold autumn days.
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I used canned pumpkin, but you could measure out yours after you've prepared it.

Pumpkin Fluff

15 oz can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie it has added sugar)
    1 package of SF vanilla pudding
    8 oz tub of ff cool whip
    1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix it all up well and let it chill for at least an hour.

I also make tons of pumpkin rolls and freeze them for dinners, and to give away. You can make traditional ones or there are some healthier versions out there as well.