Easy Butternut Squash/Pumpkin Soup - 100 Cal's Per Serving

Options
janemem
janemem Posts: 575 Member
I've just finished making a butternut squash soup, as it tastes very similar to pumpkin you could use that instead of the squash.
Or any other variety of squash will work as well.

Here's what I used;

870g Squash, Peeled, de-seeded and roughly chopped
290g Onion, roughly chopped
15ml Light olive oil
1 x Knorr Oxo Cube

Seasoning;
Cumin, red pepper flakes, oregano, garlic, bay leaf, salt & pepper

Just heat the spices up in a large saucepan first and when they give off their aroma add the chopped onion and sauté on a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add a splash of water to the pan if the onions begin to stick to the pan.
Add the chopped squash, crumble the stock cube over and add enough boiled water to cover the lot.
Bring to a boil and then simmer until the squash has softened, approx. 10-15 minutes. Check the seasoning and adjust as necessary.
Take the pan off the heat, wait for it to cool down a bit and remove the bay leaf then either blend the soup in the pan with a stick blender or transfer to a food processor/blender and blitz until it reaches your desired consistency.
Serve with a dollop of natural yoghurt and a sprinkle of chilli flakes.

Nutritional Info per 100ml (not including the yoghurt);

Calories; 40
Fat; 1
Sat. Fat; 0
Carbs; 7
Protein; 1
Fibre; 1

My soup came out at a total of 1450ml and I'll portion it into 250ml tubs for the freezer so each portion will contain only 100 calories, perfect for a snack on these cold autumn days.

Replies

• Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I was about to search for a butternut squash soup recipe! this is perfect, thanks!
  • janemem
    Options
    I was about to search for a butternut squash soup recipe! this is perfect, thanks!

That was good timing then, lol!

I hope you enjoy it, really you can add whatever you want to it to make it more to your taste but I'm having it just as it is, I'll probably put some chopped fresh garlic in the yoghurt too as I love strong flavours. :)
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I am definitely going to be making this tonight, I have two butternut squash's on my counter. Do you drain the water or just leave it in there and blend?
  • dy617
    dy617 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love both squash and pumpkin soup! Thanks for sharing.
  • coliema
    Options
    I just got done making this :) It's delicious! I used butternut AND yellow squash though, because I had a big yellow squash that I bought the other day and didn't want it going to waste. It's such a delicious recipe, and perfect for fall.
  • janemem
    Options
    I just got done making this :) It's delicious! I used butternut AND yellow squash though, because I had a big yellow squash that I bought the other day and didn't want it going to waste. It's such a delicious recipe, and perfect for fall.

Woo hoo! I'm sooo glad you like it :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • ljl150
    ljl150 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious, thanks for sharing.
  • xBeckie_Sx
    Options
    want to try this!! i need a blender :( any tips for someone who doesnt have a blender!?! :-)
  • NatsukoG
    Options
    I'm hooked on squash soup at the moment. I add a chopped up rasher of grilled (lean of course) crispy bacon and some pumpkin seeds to the top just to add some bite. Delicious!
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You could mash or rice with a potato implement and then use a mixer in lieu of blender or food processor. Might not be quite as fine , but perhaps a close second. :wink:
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    A tasty twist on this recipe: roast in a 400 degree oven- toss the following with olive oil s & p-the cut up chunks of squash, garlic and onions until tender. Throw into the blender with organic chicken stock, and add a little brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and s & p. Out of this world!!!!!
  • coliema
    Options
    want to try this!! i need a blender :( any tips for someone who doesnt have a blender!?! :-)
    I used a mixer on low, because the only blender I have is a small two cup serving one. It was a little messy at first, but just leave it on low, and I used a masher and mashed it before I mixed so I didn't have to mix it for so long.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It's cooking right now, thank you!
  • janemem
    Options
    It's cooking right now, thank you!

You're welcome. :flowerforyou:
  • janemem
    Options
    A tasty twist on this recipe: roast in a 400 degree oven- toss the following with olive oil s & p-the cut up chunks of squash, garlic and onions until tender. Throw into the blender with organic chicken stock, and add a little brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and s & p. Out of this world!!!!!

Roasting the squash/pumpkin first is an idea but I wanted a quick, easy recipe with maximimum flavour for minimal calories. :smile:
  • janemem
    Options
    I used a mixer on low, because the only blender I have is a small two cup serving one. It was a little messy at first, but just leave it on low, and I used a masher and mashed it before I mixed so I didn't have to mix it for so long.

Actually I very rarely blend soups and if I do I prefer not to blend completely smooth as I like a bit of texture every now and again so a potato masher would be ok to use, I'd just chop the onion finer if I wasn't going to blend. :smile:
  • janemem
    Options
    I'm hooked on squash soup at the moment. I add a chopped up rasher of grilled (lean of course) crispy bacon and some pumpkin seeds to the top just to add some bite. Delicious!

That sounds wonderful, especially the crispy bacon, nom nom nom......... :wink:
  • xBeckie_Sx
    Options

Actually I very rarely blend soups and if I do I prefer not to blend completely smooth as I like a bit of texture every now and again so a potato masher would be ok to use, I'd just chop the onion finer if I wasn't going to blend. :smile:

Thank you!!! going to try this week x
  • janemem
    Options

Thank you!!! going to try this week x

I made another batch yesterday, I just can't get enough of it lol! :drinker:
  • wildmustng87
    Options
    bump :)