The color blue helping with weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• faithjobes
    faithjobes Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    hahaha, I'm painting my whole house different shades of blue...i like the color anyways!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    My kitchen in my last house was blue-- country blue curtains, chair rail, cute little blue print wall paper and border-- blue print Corelle dishes-- dishcloths, towels, cups--

I ballooned up to 221 pounds--

Be sensible--
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I moved to my current house in 1996....and have had a blue kitchen from day 1. I went from 143 lbs to 231 in 6 yrs....??????
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    haha, by the way keep in mind, blue is not the answer to weight loss by any means! That's not at all what this post is about ...
  • xeniasimms
    Options
    That's funny because I have these portion control plates I eat on and they are blue. Does it matter what shade of blue?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I too believe that colors represent certain energies - green and blue for calming. When I used to have severe anxiety attacks, I would coach myself through it by imagining a blue circle in front of me and focusing on that. But really to say the color blue will help you lose weight is nonsense.
    And what kills me is that the poster of that thread has a Jillian Michaels Quote in her siggie -do you really think the contestants are eating off blue plates? It's dedicating yourself 150%, and eating healthy, whole foods in reasonable quantities!! That is how they get contestants to lose 30 pounds a week!
    It's just frightening how many people will go along with snake-oil science, sell their soul to the devil, rather than do the hard work and get a sense of accomplishment out of their efforts.
    If that sounds harsh - well, I'm sorry... maybe I'm harsh, but I'm not being critical - I just want people to realize what they are *thinking* and *writing*...
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It is my idea that it doesn't really matter if a plate is blue or not, or if you should suppress your appetite. From every article I have read, and everything I have seen and researched you should actually be EATING all day long. It's about portion control. You use a smaller plate because psychologically it makes you think that you have more food when a smaller plate is covered in food than when a bigger plate is. When in reality they actually have the same amount of food on them.

Mostly though, I bet the "studies" that have been done on this color thing are probably legit in SOME way, but I think it's more if you THINK that blue will make you want to eat less you will eat less because you think that you are going to. In a way you almost trick yourself into eating less.

As for not seeing blue in foods in nature, I am not sure if that's completely true--- some fish ARE blue... so even if their meat isn't... or mold is generally a blue color on cheese and it's not necessarily bad for you to eat it. But--- the thing about blue is that it's the hardest color for your eyes to see. Which is funny because we use it so much. So maybe in that way it has some validity.

But my point really is--- I used a waist trimming belt when I work out--- does it work? Probably not. BUT it makes me FEEL like I am doing something extra, so I work harder so the belt might have to work harder. And if I clean or do chores, I am more likely to want to do them so that I can wear the belt and maybe it will help me. It's all in my head, but it helps because I am tricking my brain into thinking its helping, and it's not making me as stressed about weight loss as I might be otherwise. I think the blue is the same thing.

I don't think fast food places should put more blue on the walls---or whatever. I think they should just stop trying to make everything so cheap and easy and fake--- and put more QUALITY nutrition into their food. Ya know?

-Becca
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    just painted my room and bathroom two shades of blue.. the kitchen is currently calamine lotion pink [was that way when i moved in! haha] and i was gonna do an orangey theme but i suppose more blue will do! haha
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    I too believe that colors represent certain energies - green and blue for calming. When I used to have severe anxiety attacks, I would coach myself through it by imagining a blue circle in front of me and focusing on that. But really to say the color blue will help you lose weight is nonsense.
    And what kills me is that the poster of that thread has a Jillian Michaels Quote in her siggie -do you really think the contestants are eating off blue plates? It's dedicating yourself 150%, and eating healthy, whole foods in reasonable quantities!! That is how they get contestants to lose 30 pounds a week!
    It's just frightening how many people will go along with snake-oil science, sell their soul to the devil, rather than do the hard work and get a sense of accomplishment out of their efforts.
    If that sounds harsh - well, I'm sorry... maybe I'm harsh, but I'm not being critical - I just want people to realize what they are *thinking* and *writing*...

I feel like you're taking the original post the the color blue is supposed the be the answer to weight loss? The research isn't saying that all you have to do is live in a blue house, wear blue clothes and eat off blue plates and you'll lose weight. It's just saying that you tend to eat less food in a blue room, than a red one. You still have to EXERCISE, you still wouldn't lose weight if the food you're eating in the blue room is pizza and cheesy french fries ... I think you're taking it the wrong way and were really rude in the mean time.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    I wasn't rude, I expressed my opinion...
    Your 1st post insinuated that the color blue was the cure-all for weight loss.
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    I wasn't rude, I expressed my opinion...

I guess when I originally read it I thought of appetite suppressant as something that suppresses your appetite and not something that will eat the fat off your bones. my bad.

NOTE TO EVERYONE READING THIS POST. THE ORIGINAL POST IN NO WAY IS MEANT TO BE DONE ALONE. YOU ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO EAT WHOLE FOODS IN HEALTHY SERVINGS AND EXERCISE REGULARLY.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options

How did you get that from:
    Bring the color blue into your life more often.

That is the only thing she actually wrote. The rest was a quote straight from the article.
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    that's what I'm confused about ... whatever ... and I thought this was a friendly sight?!
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    "Believe it or not, the color blue functions as an appetite suppressant. So serve up dinner on blue plates, dress in blue while you eat, and cover your table with a blue tablecloth."

I dunno... is it just me?
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    "Believe it or not, the color blue functions as an appetite suppressant. So serve up dinner on blue plates, dress in blue while you eat, and cover your table with a blue tablecloth."

Again, quote from the article. . .
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

Well, it's not me.
    What I took from the original post is that being surrounded by a certain color makes most people feel a certain way. As you said, blue is calming for you -- it's calming for a lot of folks. I didn't read the article because the effect of colors on myself is something about which I'm already aware, but I don't think it's a big leap to claim calm people are less likely to delve into an eating frenzy. So, it follows that surrounding yourself in blue and being calm when you eat may help suppress your appetite and/or senseless eating.

Edit: That is to say, I, in no way, felt the OP was suggesting that surrounding yourself in blue when you eat means you can eat gobs and gobs of whatever you want & not exercise. I suppose it's possible I'm giving other MFP users too much credit, but I tend to think most of them are a little too intelligent to make that astounding leap from the information provided in the post/article.
  • 00Angela00
    Options

nope, don't see it. An appetite suppressant is something that causes you to eat less ... sooo ... which the color blue through research is proven to do ... so ... what's the problem? The article doesn't say that the color blue makes you crave healthy food, and makes you gaine muscle without any exercise. Didn't anyone get that impression besides mojogurl when reading this article?
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should go buy some sunglasses with blue lenses....then everything I eat would look blue....I will be a supermodel in no time...hehe.
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is meant to be an argument, honestly just from reading all the posts. Basically I will tell you what I read when I read the post. It was as follows--- Blue should be in more places because it will make people want to eat less or better put, suppress their appetite. There is nothing wrong with this post. However, what I think mojo's response was more of a reaction to, was the fact that many people try to blame their weight gain on eating too much, instead of WHAT they are eating and their lack of activity. That when you eat less you assume you will lose weight. But, I could eat a happy meal a day, and "eat less" and I am going to be far from losing weight.

SO I don't think it was the OP that mojo was responding to. Honestly I think she was responding to the loads of people who were like "OMGGGG that makes so much sense! I need to go out and buy blue plates right away!" and the one post that was like "I have portion control plates that are blue... does the color matter?"

She asked (her first post) "You guys really buy this?" or something of the sort--- she wasn't necessarily knocking the OP, but the fact that the way people were responding made her go "WTH?! It's not as easy as some pill...." And I can say from my own perspective that losing weight and exercising is a frustrating thing when the diet companies are selling quick fixes and I can't seem to lose a damn pound eating LESS and eating RIGHT and trying to stay ACTIVE!

Just my two cents.