Serving Sizes

If this has already been posted, I am sorry I didn't see it anywhere.

My question is this:

How do you figure out what a serving size is? I am making a Chipolte Chicken Stew for dinner and it serves 6. So, what should the serving size be?

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    From a recipe? Or a can?

From a recipe, I will enter all the ingredients in the "recipe" section of MFP and it has an option to break it down by serving size, so that's easy to figure out. The serving size, for me, is however I divide it. If I make, say, beef stew, and it ends up making about 6 bowls, then I divide the recipe by 6.

Generally on a can or package, it SHOULD say how much 1 serving is (if you are in the US).
  • mswanger09
    mswanger09 Posts: 863 Member
    It is from a recipe.

I was hoping there would be a way to measure out one serving without having to get out six bowls and divide it evenly.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Just guess. When I make things from a recipe, I usually just eyeball about how much I'm taking. I mean....if you make a soup and you use, say, 2 cups of broth and then veggies and meat...you end up with 3 to 4 cups of soup. So you can estimate that way. Starting with 4 cups of soup, estimate how much is in your bowl. Etc.
  • mswanger09
    mswanger09 Posts: 863 Member
    OK, I will try that. Thanks!
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    When I make a soup for the first time, I will strain the soup into a large bowl and them measure it out into my measuring cups, then I weigh the solids. It does make one more dish but then I know how much each serving is forever, and I usually name it in more recipes, such as beef soup 68g/1 C for 68 grams solids to 1 cup broth. But, I am anal about things :laugh:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    If it serves 6, then a serving size is 1/6 of what you made. If you enter the recipe on MFP it calculates the calorie for you per serving.