Squatting with bar causing discomfort.

Options
For my skinny bish friends who lift (and builders in general)..I am having issue with my BB squats. I know I can take more weight on my legs easily, but I am having an annoying amount of pain from where the bar sits on my back/shoulders (not muscle ache, but tenderness on the actual skin) and the way I hold it is causing a bit of ache in my arms too...Is this just normal, is my technique off? Any advice? I wear clothing that covers the skin there, and I have wrapped the bar (maybe foam will be better) but as I am still skinny and the bones in my upper back are prominent, and the traps are still developing, I am feeling tender from the weight of the bar...I'm only squatting at 75% of my body weight and know I can do a lot more if I can get my upper body to handle it.

Alternatively I have tries squatting wit DB's but can't get them as heavy with out them really straining my arms obviously.

Advice??

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You may be holding the bar too high on your back. The bar should rest comfortably on your traps/upper back with your muscles tightened.

You may want to put the bar low, below the bone at the top of your shoulder-blades and on your back muscles - NOT on your spine. If you still find it uncomfortable they make pads for the barbell which you will often see in gyms such as below-

3337.jpg

Note his placement. ;)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Above picture is wrong. Sissy pads should not be used. (Not because only sissies use them, but mostly because they change the center of gravity in a bad way.) Arms so far apart traps aren't engaged.

Basically, the low bar rests on the compressed traps and spine of the scapula. (Spine of the scapula. Not to be confused with: Your actual spine.)

I can't get to youtube from here so I can't link, but go to youtube and look up: rippetoe squat bar
    There's a video where he explains bar position, wrist angle, etc. VERY useful.

Also look up a video on 'shoulder dislocation stretch.' This helps a lot.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you're positive that you're placing the bar in the right spot and it still hurts too much, maybe try a Manta Ray?

http://www.amazon.com/Advance-Fitness-Inc-4662-Manta/dp/B0017DGBY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348588233&sr=8-1&keywords=manta+ray

Don't use those foam pads though.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I find a low bar resting on my contracted scapula to be most comfortable and stable - it's the position recommended at stronglifts.

I also find it very uncomfortable high up even when I have tried one of those manta rays.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys..

I really do hold it low, but i honestly just think as I don't have a lot of meat there, it does dig in, I will really try to make sure i am engaging my trap muscles too (and build them up more if i can)

Thanks for the advice.

:heart:
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Above picture is wrong. Sissy pads should not be used. (Not because only sissies use them, but mostly because they change the center of gravity in a bad way.) Arms so far apart traps aren't engaged.

Basically, the low bar rests on the compressed traps and spine of the scapula. (Spine of the scapula. Not to be confused with: Your actual spine.)

I can't get to youtube from here so I can't link, but go to youtube and look up: rippetoe squat bar
    There's a video where he explains bar position, wrist angle, etc. VERY useful.

Also look up a video on 'shoulder dislocation stretch.' This helps a lot.

Thanks for the video recommendation too. Yes I will make sure I am really squeezing everything to get a good place for the bar to sit.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have a bony shoulder area too and I know exactly what you're talking about. What I do is wrap a thick towel (hand towel) over the bar and it covers the area where my skin is well enough. The pads are horrible, and they do throw you off balance not to mention slip. Do not use those.

You can also change up the kind of squats you do, there are a lot of squats you can do with dumbbells, I love sumo squats, plie squats, or just regular squats with 2 dumbbells. You can't go as heavy IMO but they are just as effective and sometimes a nice change.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    IMO but they are just as effective

lifting 50lbs as effective as 150lbs? what about all the core/stabilizing work you miss out on?
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
  • whatever33
    Options
    You can get wrist straps to do dumbbell lunges.. Thats less tension on the back, and probably be able to do more gaines w/ lunges carrying heavier weights!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with using a bar pad. It will in no way hinder your form. I use one and I am far from being a sissy...

As already mentioned, make sure the bar is low on your upper back. Keep your elbows up and your chest up - that should help.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Check out "So You Think You Can Squat" on YouTube. It very well might be your lack of padding in that area. I found it takes some time to get use to and it is best to do it without the pad because it does actually have some impact on form.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I actually think if you know your traps are engaged and you're holding the bar correctly, you need to just wait it out. I used to have a bruise across where the bar sits, but you get tolerant and it stops hurting when you've been squatting a while. I don't use any kind of pad, I just drape my towel across my shoulders to minimize sweaty slippage, and especially if I'm wearing a tank top to keep the dirty-*kitten* bar from sitting directly on my skin- makes me break out.

I say you probably need to do nothing but more squatting. :drinker:
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I think it still hurts if you start out more *fleshy* like I did. It does get better with time and practice, like anything else. I think the pads are a bad idea, too.
  • JNick77
    Options

I love the way your mind thinks Bean. :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I actually think if you know your traps are engaged and you're holding the bar correctly, you need to just wait it out. I used to have a bruise across where the bar sits, but you get tolerant and it stops hurting when you've been squatting a while. I don't use any kind of pad, I just drape my towel across my shoulders to minimize sweaty slippage, and especially if I'm wearing a tank top to keep the dirty-*kitten* bar from sitting directly on my skin- makes me break out.

In my experience every word of this post is on point. Your traps get used to it the same way your butt gets used to a bike seat. Whatever you do don't start using that foam pad. Changes the balance point too much.
  • JNick77
    Options

In my experience every word of this post is on point. Your traps get used to it the same way your butt gets used to a bike seat. Whatever you do don't start using that foam pad. Changes the balance point too much.

^^^
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    You may be holding the bar too high on your back. The bar should rest comfortably on your traps/upper back with your muscles tightened.

You may want to put the bar low, below the bone at the top of your shoulder-blades and on your back muscles - NOT on your spine. If you still find it uncomfortable they make pads for the barbell which you will often see in gyms such as below-

3337.jpg

Note his placement. ;)

What placement?!? I can't get past the back muscles!
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it but use a grip with your thumbs over the bar. This will take pressure off of your wrists and the rest of your arms.

I'm reading Starting Strength and there is a ton of great info about form, BB placement, even visualization techniques. It's about $30 but well worth it!!