Biggest Loser at the Office

Options
Hey everyone, I am starting a biggest loser in my office. My supervisors gave me the go ahead and I am kicking it off tomorrow! I don't watch the show every week so I am not an expert on the show, but i have watched it enough to know the premise. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has done this at the office successfully and if you had any tips?
I would like to split the group up into 2 teams, and do a weekly weigh in at our gym downstairs. Also, since i am kind of heading this thing i am going to be sending daily e-mails to the participants w/ healthy meal ideas, helpful links, and general info. Also, I am going to encourage everyone to sign up here and start tracking!!!
Any ideas would be welcome!!!!!

Replies

• Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I did one at my work, but we made it an individual competition. Had our "weigh-ins" on mondays, but we're switching to tuesdays this time. We didn't record people's weights, just the percentage of weight lost (everyone is on the honor system). Each contestant deposited $5 per week, and at the end, our 1st place winner (did TOTAL percentage of weight lost from the beginning) won $200, 2nd place $40, and 3rd a $20 Wii game (had to be fitness related). We did a weekly email, with a weekly tip, and sometimes I did the tip, sometimes I asked the person with the highest percentage lost that week to do the tip. Made it fun, and encouraging to everyone. We did one healthy recipe swap, but it didn't go over super well (not everyone participated). I often used Weight Watcher magazine, and other books for the tips.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser at my office ends next week and so far I am in the lead WHOO HOO!

The way we do it is:
    $10 per person initiation fee. $1 in per lb. that you gain. We are not going off of pounds lost but weight percentage lost to be fair. We weigh in every Monday and post results per percentage lost for each person and as a fun thing we post how many lbs lost all together as a group. The prize is the accumulated money... from the initiation fee to money put in forgained lbs. Only one grand prize winner, no second or third. We are doing it for 8 weeks. The last one was for 12 weeks. Also the last one we had was three winners. First place took $600. Second place $300.00 and third place $180.00...not bad.

I think emailing/posting helpful tips and meal ideas is great and encouraging.

TIP: Be careful...some people get kind of crazy over this stuff, especially if there is money involved. I've heard of people using weight anklets, etc. for their first weigh in to weigh in higher, etc. just as an example. Not saying that will happen in your office but if the stakes are high enough....there are people who will do anything to win. But have fun with it. It will be great! It's great to see how motivated everyone can be.
  • teenuhbees
    Options
    I did it with my roommates once, and it wasn't as formal, but the first week we did something really inspiring. I had come up with some hard to answer questions, such as "Why do you want to lose weight?" "Who inspires you?" "What do you hope will come from this?", some of the answers were really inspiring. My roommate answered that she wanted boys to finally see her inside and out, and not just from her smile and personality, etc. It was a great way to put things on the board and understand why we were doing it in the first place. So possibly something to kick off the week, like a motivational meeting perhaps. I don't know, take it for what its worth, but have fun!! (And good luck!))
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    forgot to mention, we ended our competition with the show finale - I kept the winner a surprise until that night - and we had a finale party (watched the show, brought healthy snacks, and before/after pants). was a fun get-together to see everyone's success.