Gaining and losing throughout the week? Please HELP!!

Options
I'm not new to diet or exercise- I've spent my entire adolescent and adult life bouncing from one "diet" to another. I was a devoted athlete through highschool and have since gone through phases of gaining then dropping and fiendishly working out. I am trying to make a LIFESTYLE change now.. not a phase, but my normal meter is broken when it comes to food/eating etc.

I am almost 5'11", currently 186 lbs. I had a baby almost 4 months ago (238 lbs at delivery). 212 lbs at 10 week check-up which is when I began really trying to drop the weight. I started tracking everything through MFP (not the first time I've used it) a few weeks ago at 198 lbs so I've lost 12 lbs in those few weeks. Hard and fast.

I eat at a calorie deficit every day- not uncommon for the deficit to be around 1000kcal. But, I'm breastfeeding and work out 30-90 minutes/day (I'm doing 30 Day Shred and usually run, do HIIT, or at least walk the baby around on top of that), so I'm usually hitting my original calorie goal then adding more "available calories" with calories burned. Here's the dilemma- I'm GAINING weight thoughout the week- my official weigh-in days are on Saturdays and I haven't had any official gain yet- but I weigh every morning and it's discouraging. I fear that I'm not eating enough. I eat ALL day long, but I eat very small portions and low calorie foods. I weigh and measure everything I eat and record every morsel. I know that fluctuations are natural, but I'm talking about 3 lbs between one morning and the next. And yes, I watch my sodium intake and I drink a LOT of water (it's one of the necessities of keeping my supply up).

Should I try eating more? If so, HOW and WHEN? I eat ALL the time as it is, and I don't want to start eating junk just to get more calories in... and what time of day would it be best to add calories- which meals?

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing every day and weigh every week or every 2 weeks.

If you're exclusively breastfeeding you should be taking in 300-500 extra calories for that if you're not already.

If you can't eat more then eat full fat versions, whole milk instead of skimmed, full fat cheese instead of low etc.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I assumed someone would say to weigh less often.. that in and of itself will be a battle but I think I can manage it. I don't eat dairy unfortunately- baby doesn't do well with it and I've always had a bit of a sensitivity to milk anyway, so it wasn't much of a change. I'm going to buy a crockpot today so I can get some heartier meals without dedicating too much time. It's nearly impossible to stand over a stove and cook with the baby, AND work out, AND get everything else done around the house. He's a good baby, but he's not THAT good.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself once a month preferably the same time during your cycle
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Log it once a week. Seriously, your weight fluctuates by 10 lbs a day. If I eat too much sodium, I can gain 7lbs overnight. I weigh everyday, I log once a week. Stop stressing it, just watch for a downward trend after 3 weeks or so.:smile:
  • Plemmons84
    Plemmons84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    from everything i have read, I would assume that your body is in starvation mode. Esp. since you are breastfeeding. Your need quite a few more calories when breastfeeding. You have to account for that. I would add in more calories.
  • FitandFab33
    Options
    from everything i have read, I would assume that your body is in starvation mode. Esp. since you are breastfeeding. Your need quite a few more calories when breastfeeding. You have to account for that. I would add in more calories.

I add 500 kcal per day for breastfeeding, but I usually don't eat those calories back- so it's kind of a "what's the point of that" thing. I think I'll start eating those 500 in addition to the MFP calculation.. and seeing how I feel from there. I still sit at the dilemma of when and what to eat though. I guess eliminating one of the protein shakes I eat now and subbing with something more substantial.
  • FitandFab33
    Options
    Log it once a week. Seriously, your weight fluctuates by 10 lbs a day. If I eat too much sodium, I can gain 7lbs overnight. I weigh everyday, I log once a week. Stop stressing it, just watch for a downward trend after 3 weeks or so.:smile:

I only log on Saturdays- but I think the weighing every day freaks me out! I either need to calm down about the numbers or stop weighing daily but that's a hard habit to break!
  • FitandFab33
    Options

Might be TMI, but I don't currently have one as I'm less than 4 months post partum and am exclusively breastfeeding. I would definitely STRUGGLE with weighing once per month, but I think that might be a challenge I need to take on to get over my obsession with the numbers on the scale.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Might be TMI, but I don't currently have one as I'm less than 4 months post partum and am exclusively breastfeeding. I would definitely STRUGGLE with weighing once per month, but I think that might be a challenge I need to take on to get over my obsession with the numbers on the scale.

I also don't as am still BF'ing my 2 year old but I have certainly noticed a trend once a month where my weight goes up and I want to eat loads!

Add some thing like dairy free flapjacks into your diet, oats are good for milk production and it will help you up your calorie intake.
  • Plemmons84
    Options

I add 500 kcal per day for breastfeeding, but I usually don't eat those calories back- so it's kind of a "what's the point of that" thing. I think I'll start eating those 500 in addition to the MFP calculation.. and seeing how I feel from there. I still sit at the dilemma of when and what to eat though. I guess eliminating one of the protein shakes I eat now and subbing with something more substantial.
  • 86rollyb
    86rollyb Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem!! I weigh every day & the numbers fluctuate quite a bit but i only log on Friday. I had a glass of wine after my baby went to bed the other night (still under my calorie goal) and was like 3 lbs heavier the next day :-/ very discouraging! But like you the weekly # is always a bit lower so that is the # I focus on! I don't always eat back the breastfeeding calories either, but the only supply issue I have is over supply so I'm not too concerned!
  • Plemmons84
    Options
    I would add in healthy snacks, lower in carbs, maybe nuts or something higher in protein and eat them earlier in the day. I notice if I eat my calories early in the day and fewer later, I always lose the next day. Eat like a King in the AM, Prince at lunch and pauper at supper.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Take a look at this thread - with the amount of exercise you are doing on top of breastfeeding you are not eating enough.
  • vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've actually heard from other women that breastfed, that for some reason we're not able to lose weight while nursing & then I hear from other that the weight falls off because of it..so I'm not sure, but if your working out & I'm doing the 30 day shred too, just did day 5 today, it's possible that your gaining some muscle, so your weight may not drop right away. I say as long as your eating right & exercising, try & give it some time & see what happens. I myself have been eating better & exercising more now than ever (my son is 3 months old) & my weight doesn't seem to be moving, i'm hoping it's muscle I'm building too from the workouts :) Good Luck!! :)
  • FitandFab33
    Options
    I would add in healthy snacks, lower in carbs, maybe nuts or something higher in protein and eat them earlier in the day. I notice if I eat my calories early in the day and fewer later, I always lose the next day. Eat like a King in the AM, Prince at lunch and pauper at supper.

I will definitely try this... I need to find some sort of balance with meals. I blow my protein goal out of the water daily though (I eat a TON of grilled chicken breast and protein shakes with almond milk).
  • FitandFab33
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Take a look at this thread - with the amount of exercise you are doing on top of breastfeeding you are not eating enough.

Thank you so much for this link- I've been looking through it and doing calculations to see where I am calorically and where I should be.
  • FitandFab33
    Options
    I've actually heard from other women that breastfed, that for some reason we're not able to lose weight while nursing & then I hear from other that the weight falls off because of it..so I'm not sure, but if your working out & I'm doing the 30 day shred too, just did day 5 today, it's possible that your gaining some muscle, so your weight may not drop right away. I say as long as your eating right & exercising, try & give it some time & see what happens. I myself have been eating better & exercising more now than ever (my son is 3 months old) & my weight doesn't seem to be moving, i'm hoping it's muscle I'm building too from the workouts :) Good Luck!! :)

Thanks Vickie! I've heard it both ways too (re: breastfeeding) but I'm planning on breastfeeding at least a year so I hope I can drop the weight before I stop.. I think you're right- I need to be a little patient and give it time to work. And good job on the 30 day shred! I finished day 4 today and it's much tougher than I anticipated.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't weight everyday. That is only going to emotionally affect you, especially after you just had a baby. Weight every few weeks or once a month, then you will always see a difference. Good luck!