San Diego?

Options
navywife5810
navywife5810 Posts: 63 Member
So, my husband just got his new orders. Hard copy in fact. Needless to say, it has been a pretty exciting/nerve-wrecking day. I quickly realized, after we celebrated leaving the little town we are currently stationed at, that i know NOTHING about living in San Diego.

I am turning to ya'll for help. Where is safe to live? Are apartments there as small as they are near Washington D.C.? Is it nice there? Are there a lot of things to do?
If any of you are/have been military, what do you wish you would have known before going to San Diego?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!!!
Have a great day :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jp619
    jp619 Posts: 20
    Options
    Which Base will he be stationed at?
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am from the DC area and travel to San Diego often. It is a beautiful place. Much more expensive than around DC. You won't get as much space for your money. I think you will like it. What base are you stationed on now and where will you be? North Island? I work at a navy base just south of DC. There is a ton to do there. I would move there if I could. :)
  • Ginagogogo
    Options
    You will loooooove San Diego. I'm also a Navy wife, been here almost 11 years. It is one of the safest cities in the US. And there is so much to do, from the beach, to the mountains, to the zoo, Legoland, Sea World, Balboa Park, and I could go on and on. Where you live will depend on which base you are stationed at.
    Get a good travel book on the city so you can get a feel for it a bit and get excited, you're going to love it!
    Friend or message me if you have any more questions!
  • navywife5810
    Options
    Which Base will he be stationed at?

not specified. just san diego.
  • navywife5810
    Options
    I am from the DC area and travel to San Diego often. It is a beautiful place. Much more expensive than around DC. You won't get as much space for your money. I think you will like it. What base are you stationed on now and where will you be? North Island? I work at a navy base just south of DC. There is a ton to do there. I would move there if I could. :)

We are at Pax River now so I know all about DC area prices. They are ridiculous compared to what I'm used to being from Louisiana. You'd get a 4 bedroom house for what you pay in rent for a 1 bedroom here. I guess I figured it would be at least a tiny bit cheaper! Jokes on me :laugh:
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

We are at Pax River now so I know all about DC area prices. They are ridiculous compared to what I'm used to being from Louisiana. You'd get a 4 bedroom house for what you pay in rent for a 1 bedroom here. I guess I figured it would be at least a tiny bit cheaper! Jokes on me :laugh:

I am at Pax too! Small world! What does your husband do, if you don't mind me asking? Do you ever do any classes at the Energy Zone? I really like some of them!
  • navywife5810
    Options

I am at Pax too! Small world! What does your husband do, if you don't mind me asking? Do you ever do any classes at the Energy Zone? I really like some of them!

Ground Electronic Maintenance. He's an ET.
    & right now, all i do is upper body strength training. I have a torn ACL :grumble:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Funny, I live in San Diego and I went to college in DC. I know both worlds well. :)

First, cost of living will be different, but his housing allowance is going to be bigger here, too, so don't worry too much about that.

Second, San Diego is a much bigger area than DC, in the sense that DC-proper is really a big downtown-ish area. San Diego is more suburban as a whole; plan to drive to get anywhere and plan to drive at least ten minutes. (Oh, and though we have traffic here, it's nothing like what happens on the beltway, because we have more lanes!)

Apartments will vary just like anywhere, but again, it depends on where he is stationed. Your username says he is Navy, so probably North Island (Coronado) or somewhere near there. Coronado is really high income; admirals live there. If you don't live on the Island, Point Loma is a generally nice area, it's close to the bases, and has a youthful, beachy, college-town vibe.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me. :)
  • annahuebscher
    Options
    You'll love San Diego. My bf is in the navy stationed here, and I've been living here for years. It's the best place ever :)
  • navywife5810
    Options
    Funny, I live in San Diego and I went to college in DC. I know both worlds well. :)

First, cost of living will be different, but his housing allowance is going to be bigger here, too, so don't worry too much about that.

Second, San Diego is a much bigger area than DC, in the sense that DC-proper is really a big downtown-ish area. San Diego is more suburban as a whole; plan to drive to get anywhere and plan to drive at least ten minutes. (Oh, and though we have traffic here, it's nothing like what happens on the beltway, because we have more lanes!)

Apartments will vary just like anywhere, but again, it depends on where he is stationed. Your username says he is Navy, so probably North Island (Coronado) or somewhere near there. Coronado is really high income; admirals live there. If you don't live on the Island, Point Loma is a generally nice area, it's close to the bases, and has a youthful, beachy, college-town vibe.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me. :)

thanks so much! :flowerforyou: