Highest heart rate during cardio?

Options
Just wondering what people find themselves sitting at during a cardio workout? I usually find myself around the high 170's during an hour session, or high 180's-low 190's during a sprint (HRM during last minutes of w/o). I thought that this was quite high because my resting heart rate is 68, but my doctor (a runner) says that this is fine for me. My pace is good for the best part (I think) - 8-10 km/h endurance with high resistance, 12-14 km/h for sprints.

I've heard of people running at higher HR numbers than this, but I'm not really talking about avid runners. I'm talking about chunky beauts like myself. Just wondering what other people find themselves running at, and if there is anything that I should be looking out for.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, yours is within the normal range. I have hit over 200 a couple times myself (though very briefly).
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Mine normally runs over 170 when I'm challenging myself. Yesterday I ran 4 miles and it was 167 for the average. I think the highest I've seen is 182. I normally hit this rate on a short hill at about the 2 mile mark. Can't seem to get it over that but then I don't do long extended sprints up hill or anything to cause it to go higher.
  • sll1083
    Options
    During a 50 min workout, I usually hit 158 about 5 minutes in then sit at 168-172 until cool down. I find that if I don't do that particular workout for a week or more, then the first few days back it runs a little higher until my body gets used to the pace again.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm 39, and I have been in the 190s before (briefly - and I'm really gasping at that point), but the 180s is normal for me during those times when I'm really pushing it....
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Interesting comments, thanks folks.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Google it.
    There are a number of theories behind figuring your max allowable heart rate. The simplest one I know of is 220 - your age. This puts me at 169, which I find to be on the high end of what I can sustain, so that's probably a good place to stay below.

For the record, I've been above my max many times and have yet to explode.

Edited to add:
    I doubt there is much to be gained from being at 110% of max versus 95% of max. Decreasing returns probably kicks in around there somewhere. Staying below max seems a sensible way of maximizing your results without running any undue risks.