Work out and time of day

Options
I see a lo of people putting in major work outs early in the day, I just can't. I have no energy to work out at all in the AM. My workouts are always between 3-6 on my day off and after 7 on the days I work. I wonder if I'm the only one like that and if the time of the day you work out at is affecting the weight loss.

Replies

• rayjess
    rayjess Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I also do not have the energy or time to get up and work out in the morning. I started this work out journey when my weight was at 185 and I now weigh 148. I started working out and still do at about 7pm and sometimes at 8:30pm. It's great to work out anytime of the day.

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Denise
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make a difference. Some people just like to get their workouts done early. I work out at the same time you do.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I workout whenever I can. For me, lifting is generally in the morning, but cardioi stuff is almost always in the afternoon/evening. It's just the way my schedule and things line up.
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I used to work out early in the morning, shower at the gym, then go to work from there. However, my life and schedule are different now (I am usually up later with my boyfriend since he works 2nd shift) so I really don't see being able to do the early morning thing anymore. I saw online that you will burn calories well during your sleep after a work out so maybe it's better to do it in the evening?
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    My workouts are around 4:30 in the afternoons, right after I get off work.
  • alaliberte
    Options
    Agreed with what is said here. In the winter when i can't get on the bike or run when it's snowing, I get up early and get on the bike trainer in my house, which makes early am workouts easier, but my preference is to workout during lunchtime or just after work 5-6. You will still burn the calories either way. just remember if you are working out at night, adrenaline is an issue (at least it is for me) it takes me a while to calm down and sleep after an intense PM workout.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout early in the morning but I also recognize that not everyone likes to get up at 5:00AM. While there have been studies that suggest there may be some(very marginal) benefit to doing cardio in a fasted state the differences were so so small as to be, for practical purposes, non-existent.

Work out when it fits your schedule and your temperament.
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    On days off I usually work out around 1pm, but on days I work and/or have class it can be anywhere between 7pm and 10pm.
  • StressedChaos
    StressedChaos Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    With being a SAHM I workout whenever I get the chance. I prefer mornings after taking my son to school. If I keep pushing it later into the day the more likely I am to not do it. I also can't eat or drink for about an hour and a half before working out so it's easier in the morning. As long as you are getting it done it doesn't matter what time of day you workout.
  • Flutterloo
    Flutterloo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am a SAHM so it's easy for me to adjust my schedule for working out. Like this morning I got up, fed and got kids ready for the day, cleaned my house, and then exercised while they played. I don't really struggle to find energy in the morning unless I didn't sleep well or long enough. And on those days I usually wait until afternoon to exercise. I used to have a really hard time getting goin in the morning, but since giving up all soda, I have been a lot more rested.
  • tayboo90
    Options
    I don't think the time of day makes a difference as long as you can fit it in anytime. I workout at night usually between 8:30-10:00 p.m. It's when my babies are in bed and the only time I have to fit in. It has been working for me. Lost a total of 20 pounds in 3 months (:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person, so I do my workouts around 4:30 when I get home from work. I find that working out after work is a huge stress relief for me...However, I have been playing around with the notion of working out in the early AM as it would be nice to come home and have my work outs done...

If you want to try and work out earlier..set your alarm for 45 minutes earlier then you would work out and try to go for a run..I have been doing that and finding that I get used to getting up in the am..I have not played around with working out with weights...yet