Fitbit vs. Nike Fuel?

Options
Hey guys,

I've been considering a pedometer, but not just any simple step counter. I know a lot of people on here have fitbits and love them, but I also know a bunch of people that have the Nike Fuel, which seems similar, that also love that. The price difference is pretty big so I was wondering if anyone had experiences or information about one or both to help me decide which would be more beneficial to me before I shell out the cash haha.

Replies

• clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I did not like NIKE Fuel at all. You must swing your arm to get step count. If you run on treadmill this won't count steps .
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I can't run yet, my heartrate jumps right past my AT :( But that's good to consider because I want something for the long term...Thanks for the info
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I also read that the Fuel doesn't give you distance traveled the way the FitBit does. I can also look at the FitBit itself to see how many stairs I've climbed, calories burned, steps traveled, etc., which can be really helpful.
  • sdeconda
    sdeconda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i bought a fitbit (new fitbit ultra)- just got it this past Saturday and i am NOT impressed- planning to send it back. From the videos online, the reviews, they all report it is VERY accurate and will transmits via wi-fi to the online program and logs everything including your sleep pattern. It transmits- even your sleep pattern monitoring which is really neat, but it does NOT track my workout accurately.

So it depends on what you want- most people that responded to my complaints about fitbit said it is to monitor your non-workout activity to make you more active during other times- more so than monitoring your workout and that is not what i wanted it for.
    I used it to work out Sunday through today and each day between the stairmaster and the treadmill i have done 5.5 miles (usually running 3 miles and 2 miles on stair master) and it registered sunday as 4.04 miles, Monday as 3.25, and today as 4.16.
    it is a very neat little gadget- just does not optimize what i wanted it to.
  • Erienneb
    Options
    after reading sdeconda's post I should clarify more:

I'm looking for something for my every day, not for workouts. I'll eventually get a hrm moniter to be more efficient with my exercise but for now I have a sedentary job and want to force myself into activity.
  • sdeconda
    sdeconda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    In that case i would HIGHLY recommend the fitbit! It is a very neat gadget- and even gives little words of encouragement on the display!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    They have the new Zip for like $50. I am considering it too
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit. It's addictive. I was talking every evening to get up to 10,000 steps a day. Now I'm jogging.
    And I've registered for 3 5 K races.
    And an 8K race!

it synchs here with MFP, so be careful. I like MFP for logging food. Once I log it there I do not have to log it in fitbit. Fitbit in turn will log your activity here on MFP and adjust your daily cals.
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    i just got my fitbit ultra friday...i love it. it really does make you work more toward your "goals" or "badges" . it makes you want to be more active and do more. im glad i ordered one. well worth the money!
  • Erienneb
    Options
    I thank you all for the serious opinions and information! It really helps hearing what you all think.
  • atldrew
    atldrew Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Fitbit Ultra and, for the most part, like it.
    Disadvantages:
    * Uses a holster which the unit tends to slip out of.
    * Doesn't track biking very well.
    * Needs a docking station to sync. (so if you have one at home you can't track your progress till you get home)
    * Some have reported it dying after getting caught in a rain storm.
    Luckily they just came out with an updated version that addresses most of those issues: http://www.fitbit.com/zip

I like that there is an API for myfitnesspal so I can record my food here and get extra credit for the walking I do automatically when my Fitbit syncs.
  • letzmoveit
    Options
    I vote for the FitBit!!!! But I have to say I haven't used NIKE Fuel but I looked at it before I made my decision. And to be honest with you, am so happy with my FitBit I'm not looking for anything else. I've had it for about a month, lost 15 lbs. I attribute that to the fact that it is making me want to move. Its always in the back of my head to get the steps in. After lunch at work, I take a walk. Around 3.30 when I could get sleepy:yawn: , I take a walk. I visit people more at the office instead of sending emails. Little things like this add up to your daily goal. I now wake up on weekends to get a walk in before I get my day started (never knew my neighborhood looked so good in the A.M. ha-ha).

I also do bootcamp 2-3 times a week and unless we are running/walking, the FitBit doesn't count your steps as it doesn't do side to side movements/ push ups etc. I will say that there is something called an 'active score' on your dashboard. So doing these other activities will count towards that even if it doesn't track those side to side movements. The higher the active score the better!

I love love the sleep tracker. It also tracks how many stairs you've climbed. Don't be suprised if you start parking your car on different levels! And its amazing what you will do to get the next level badge:smile:

Either way, I think whatever you choose will help you become more active:).
  • letzmoveit
    Options
    And to second that....its sometimes not user friendly on certain ellipticals. I guess coz you glide on it as opposed to walking.
  • letzmoveit
    Options
    [And to second that....its sometimes not user friendly on certain ellipticals. I guess coz you glide on it as opposed to walking. ]

Disadvantages:
    * Needs a docking station to sync. (so if you have one at home you can't track your progress till you get home)
    Luckily they just came out with an updated version that addresses most of those issues: http://www.fitbit.com/zip

I like that there is an API for myfitnesspal so I can record my food here and get extra credit for the walking I do automatically when my Fitbit syncs.
    [/quote]
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have been using my FuelBand for almost 2 months. I love it. Before purchasing I read all of the reviews I could find. It's known to crap out on some people. After one month of use mine stopped working too. By that time I was addicted to it and a quick visit to teh Nike store meant I had a replacement immediately. The rep with customer service would have shipped one too. Not as fast, but at least they are willing to replace it.

So why do I love it? It keeps me motivated. I have a desk job. The NikeFuel band helps to guage my activity through the day. It records any movement with your arm. So when you blow your hair dry or drive you are earning Fuel Points. Some people find this a deal breaker. I jsut take it off before drying my hair. I also compensate for my drive time by bumping up my goal by 100 points.

The iPhone app is great. I love seeing how close I get to my goal each day. If I've not met my points I'll find a way to get there. Many nightts that means I'm straightening up the house or running stairs a few times. Because everything counts toward Fuel Points. The animations you get when you reach your goal or go on a streak are very cute.

I'm a big Nike fan anyway, so this fits right into it.

What don't I like? I wish the band was a little thinner. It clashes with my work clothes, but it reminds me to look at it.

I considered teh Fitbit, but didn't like the look of the belt clip. I think I'd break it anyway. The FuelBand is a bracelet that won't fall off. Even though I read where some people had problems with it breaking, I've had no issues at all.

To sum up my long reply, my FuelBand keeps me motivated, and that's what I bought it for - I'm not concerned with a little bit of innacuracy. I see the results on the scale, and that's what I'm looking for!

To address comments in other replies:
    I pump my arms on the treadmill, so getting points isn't an issue. I wear it when I'm riding my bicycle outside and get plenty of points. In spin class or on the stepmill I clip the bracelet through my laces. That works great. You get calorie read outs on the band, total distance in the app, and you get to see an oeveral read out of your activity through the day.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Disadvantages:

Edited to add - yes you're right though won't track while I am not near the station. Only part of fitbit I don't like.

You do not have to dock it for it to synch. You have to be within 15 ft of the station. I only dock mine to charge it.