Weird things nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• VarnerChic
    VarnerChic Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wasn't prepared to be noticed all the time... Sounds weird but it's hard to get used to when you are used to being a wallflower.

Was feeling my rib cage (yes, it actually exists...who knew???) a couple of months ago. Couldn't figure out what that hard knot was until I realized it was my oblique muscles!!!! Never had those before...EVER..

Also, couldn't figure out what that huge lump was between my ribs in the front until my RN sister told me it was probably my sternum.... =)

Sometimes it kind of annoys me that people treat me better now that I'm smaller. It shouldn't be that way but it is...
  • Melisamab
    Melisamab Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bought a belt before I started loosing, it was on 3rd from last notch. now (and i'm not even half way to my goal), its on the last notch! woo hoo! guess its (almost) time to buy a new belt. i'll wait with replacing the pants until I'm where I want to be :-)

also very much enjoyed discovering I had a collar bone ;-)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    What I didn't anticpate...it's a total mindf*uck and people are just plain nicer to you when you aren't fat.

YES! I tried to explain this to people when I lost weight the first time, and people said it was in my head, but it is NOT. People started being nicer to me, talking to me more, holding doors for me, etc.

It is not in your head. I make it a point to greet people of all sizes now.. Whether it is a skinny teenager running a cash register at the grocery or the overweight wattress at a rural breakfast place when traveling. The best thing about receiving kindness is passing it along to others.
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    bought a belt before I started loosing, it was on 3rd from last notch. now (and i'm not even half way to my goal), its on the last notch! woo hoo! guess its (almost) time to buy a new belt. i'll wait with replacing the pants until I'm where I want to be :-)

also very much enjoyed discovering I had a collar bone ;-)

I keep making new holes in my belt! haha!
  • knighthood77
    Options
    Weirdest thing I ever heard obout losing weight: guys gain a half inch of "useable length" for every 20 pounds they lose. Of course I know this is total BS. Still funny that someone actually thought that up. :bigsmile:

Whoohoo! I'm looking forward to two extra inches. ;)

In all seriousness though after reading everyone complain about bathtubs being uncomfortable now, I'm wondering if loosing too much pelvic cushioning could be a bad thing.
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I bumped my ribs on a high counter the other day , oh wait I am sorry did I just say ribs!? YES there is way less fat over them, my hip bones are closer to the surface, My boobs are getting smaller and sadly slighty saggy!

The mental part for me is amazing! I am dressing better, I feel better, I am a freaking large, no longer and XXL or XL unless I shop at the skinny stores hahahahaha!

I dont have to shop in the plus section anymore

and the last but def not the least it feels better when my boyfriend touches me, hugs me, there is less to wrap around etc almost like my skin is more alive
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Me too on the rings! My wedding ring is now perilously loose, and I've only lost 20 lbs since my wedding two years ago. Money is tight so I haven't been able to resize it and I already lost it once in the snow this past winter and (miraculously) found it a week later when things thawed out. I'm thinking of wraping it in string or something so I can at least keep it on my finger!

If you go back to where your fiance bought it, they should do free sizings for life... at least that what most of the places around here do. Congrats on your amazing progress!!
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    COLD!! (all the dang time)
    walked out of my "new" jeans (thankfully no one was around)
    the girls stopped filling my bras and yeah like others here went to sports bras (but damn it I bought every bright color sports bra I could find - lol )
    oh and seeing gray pubic hair --- that just ain't right (fixed that rofl - sorry for TMI)

DId I say COLD --- 70s outside and I am in a thermal shirt or sweatshirt
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My word there are so many. I have lost close to 250 lbs since my highest weight. My extra skin is a huge problem that will have to repaired mecially. Here are a few of my new discoveries...

Smaller fingers - I have lost 4 ring sizes
    it is sometime painful to lean against the back of a chair due to my shoulder blades (I nicknamed them wings)
    my eyes actually seem larger
    people tell me I look taller
    I have a dimple in my smile that I really hadnt noticed more before
    my knee bones sometimes touch and it can be painful
    tailbone is a HUGE issue I have to sit on a special cushion and it still hurts almost all the time
    my belly button got smaller who knew! lol
    totally freezing as many have said, there is a blanket near me at all times and I use an electric blanket for sleep
    I find new bones all the time I have never seen or felt before
    I went to a wedding last week and someone I have known for 20 years almost didnt recognize me, she did a double take
    I have a longer neck then I realized
    but it is all worth it. I am much different much happier person then I ever imagined. :)

:flowerforyou:
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Funny how you don't notice things.... we are so used to NOT looking in the mirror! Was blow drying my hair last week and suddenly thought I saw some strange lump. On closer inspection discovered it wasn't fat or some growth ... it's muscle! Thought I was imagining it so took some pics for conformation.... and YES....I'm not crazy!!
  • mscolleen2003
    mscolleen2003 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I laughed so hard when I read this. I have been working out 6 days a week for months. One day I am riding down the road and I noticed a lump in my forearm. I was like "what the heck is that", looked at my other arm and there was another lump... it's called a muscle. Duh!!!
  • mscolleen2003
    mscolleen2003 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 250 weight loss. Good for you.
  • vcorbin01
    vcorbin01 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a lot of changes...

#1 My engagement ring is loose. When my fiance had first purchased it, It fit very snug - NOW - it almost falls off on it's own. I'm getting that ajusted once I get the last 19 lbs off

#2 I discovered not only my collar bones again, but I'm discovering bones right below my collar bones. At first I was freaking out asking my mom if I should be concerned. Then after while it dawned on me...they were covered by fat and I couldn't see them. Now I'm loving it because it looks healthy not sick.

#3 I've also noticed since my arms and shoulders are starting to shrink that I'm seeing more definition and it's giving my body more of a femine look rather than a bulky football player look.

#4 My legs are shrinking which I absolutely never thought could be possible.

#5 I can see my two dimples on my lower back...haven't seen those cuties since high school swimming =D

#6 Cold all the time!! EEEKKK but so worth the benefits!!!

#7 My hip bones have once again been discovered.

I could think of a million more things to mention, but bottom line is....it's so worth every sweat, tear, and pain in the end. I couldn't imagine going back to the "old" me and I won't! We all sooooooo got this!!!!!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    What I didn't anticpate...it's a total mindf*uck and people are just plain nicer to you when you aren't fat.

YES! I tried to explain this to people when I lost weight the first time, and people said it was in my head, but it is NOT. People started being nicer to me, talking to me more, holding doors for me, etc.

That's sad; however there could be other factors at work here.

You werent happy with your weight so you went on a diet and achieved your goal! It makes sense then that you are proud of yourself, more confident, happier, maybe more attractive, more approachable

It makes total sense that people are more likely to open doors for smiling, attractive, confident women than they are for shy, sad, women who don't want to be noticed and don't want to be approached

I'll hold a door open for anyone, male or female; however, someone following 20 or 30 yards away - yeah I think I'd wait for the women with a big beaming smile and a spring in her step. You werent happy with how you looked so do you think that was you?
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I bashed my ankle against a chair leg yesterday. OOOOWWWWW. Bloody bones! Also, my knees press together quite painfully when I lie down in bed - I put a fleecy blanket between them (I'm so sexy).
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am soooo glad I found this post - I was starting to think I was imagining things, like my shoes being looser. The one I've noticed most is I have cheekbones again!!! I smile a whole lot more. The extra energy is amazing. The being cold all the time SUCKS!!!! I work on a construction site and I keep driving the guys nuts turning the heat up in the office. Looking forward to some of the other things people have mentioned. Keep up the good work everyone!!!!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    The one I've noticed most is I have cheekbones again!!! I smile a whole lot more. The extra energy is amazing.

Exactly my point about people being nicer to you when you lost weight. A few mentioned that they had noticed this.

Could it be though, that like ravengirl - you're smiling more, which meakes you more approachable and receptive to attention?
  • khrystar
    Options
    To keep your ring on you might could try a ring adjuster. I have a friend with really tiny fingers and she has to use it to keep her engagement ring on. http://www.amazon.com/Ring-Snuggies-Original-Adjusters-Assorted/dp/B0014DGXU8
  • camy_chick
    camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    i didn't read through all the posts but so far for me it's just the clothes thing....even though i did discover that when i was down about 1/5th of the weight, i was able to sit indian style agian.

:::::::FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO KEEP LOSING YOUR RINGS:::::::
    go to like wal-mart, maybe jcp or target have them too, but i know wal-mart - RING SIZERS - it's a little piece of plastic(you can usually get multi-packs with different sizes). you just put it on your ring, and it adjusts the size for you.........and best of all THEY ARE CLEAR! i used those back when i first got my original engagement ring.....WORKED WONDERS!!
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I had to start playing soccer so chicks would stop hitting on me.

How does playing soccer make chicks not hit on you? If anything, I would think they would hit on you more because now you are an athlete/jock...

The presumption of sexual orientation of soccer players in America...