Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Milk alternative please

pannellkat
pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I eat a lot of raisin bran cereal and for example I would eat maybe 1.5 cups of cereal and 3/4 cup of 2% milk. The milk is killing me - calorie wise and I cannot give up my yummy cereal. What other alternatives do I have besides 1% or skim because those...just simply do not taste good to me. Need something low in calories and fat that I can eat with cereal.
FYI - I only have milk with cereal...I do not drink milk as a beverage...I just don't like it that much so I would need suggestions for a "cereal milk" so to say.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Almond milk!! Very yummy. I like to use the plain unsweetened kind, but there are sweetened and flavored kinds as well. They come in boxes and are not refrigerated in the grocery stores, usually near rice milk and the non-refrigerated soy milk.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    I prefer skim milk over all others so I'm not the best person to really be answering this I can however offer this:

NO vanilla soy milk, it is high in sugar and you'd be better off to stick with 2% or even whole milk in the long run. You can try almond milk etc.

Quite honestly, do you finish the milk in the bowl or do you have some left over at the end of the cereal? If you always have some left maybe measure it to see how much you are actually consuming.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Thank you. I have heard of almond milk. I will try that.

And I do have milk left over in my bowl actually and I am very meticulous about not counting what is left over.
  • You could also try Rice milk. I want to try almond milk but I am having a hard time finding it.
  • LucyFordxo
    LucyFordxo Posts: 62 Member
    YES! Almond Milk is amazing
  • I am lactose in tolerant and I can't have anything but soy, almond or rice milk, I hate soy so I go with Rice milk it's 101 calories for 100ml which the amount I have with my cereal and I love it. The reason I drink Rice milk instead of any others is becuase I went from being able to have normal milk to being lactose intolerant again and rice milk was the only think that tasted great to me. I still love it and I can put all the milk in my cabnet till I want some and I can buy two kinds of sizes for rice milk 1/2 gallons or quarts.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    I use almond breeze for my cereal, I love it and it's only 60 calories a cup! The kind I have been buying is refrigerated although I know they sell shelf stable as well, and since I am the only one in my family who uses it it lasts me a while.

:smile: I only drink milk in my cereal too:smile:
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    I eat a lot of raisin bran cereal and for example I would eat maybe 1.5 cups of cereal and 3/4 cup of 2% milk. The milk is killing me - calorie wise and I cannot give up my yummy cereal. What other alternatives do I have besides 1% or skim because those...just simply do not taste good to me. Need something low in calories and fat that I can eat with cereal.
    FYI - I only have milk with cereal...I do not drink milk as a beverage...I just don't like it that much so I would need suggestions for a "cereal milk" so to say.

Thank you in advance!

Hood Calorie Countdown...45 cals per serving..0grams fat, 3grams sugar, 8grams protein, 3grams of carbs..each 8-ounce serving contains 70% fewer calories, 75% less sugar and 75% fewer carbohydrates than whole milk. I think it tastes great also.

Do a google search for (Hood Milk)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member

Thank you in advance!

Hood Calorie Countdown...45 cals per serving..0grams fat, 3grams sugar, 8grams protein, 3grams of carbs..each 8-ounce serving contains 70% fewer calories, 75% less sugar and 75% fewer carbohydrates than whole milk. I think it tastes great also.

Do a google search for (Hood Milk)

Yummm...their chocolate milk is amazing too. I second this suggestion.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Yummm...their chocolate milk is amazing too. I second this suggestion.

I love the chocolate!:love:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I've tried soy milk, rice milk, and almond milk. By far, almond milk is my favorite, and it tastes GREAT on cereal! The consistency is similar to skim milk, and the taste is very mild.

I get mine in the dairy section with the other cold stuff. It's blue diamond almond breeze brand. 1 quart lasts me about a month.

Over The Moon Chocolate milk is AMAZING. that's calorie countdown, too, isn't it?
This discussion has been closed.