Grocery List

Options
Hi, I just started on Monday and the one thing I have a problem with is getting the right foods in at first without breaking the bank. Do any of you have a basic grocery list that you go by to get started that will make a few meals. If you do, I would love it if you would share it with me. Thanks, really want to succeed this time.:smile:

Replies

• katie_3011
    Options
    Here's the trick...

Shop only on the outside aisles of the grocery store (i.e. the produce, the meats, fish, bread, etc.)

PORTION CONTROL!

If you need to buy crackers or munchies, take them out (when you have willpower) and prepackage them into snack portions - a snack should be no more than 200 calories EVER!
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    What I normally do is make a weekly menu for dinners. I look up recipes online or use current ones and make healthy swaps for recipes that aren't already the healthiest. www.eatbetteramerica.com has some GREAT recipes so does Taste of Homes Cooking Light. I write down the ingredients I need for those meals and get those.

For breakfast, I normally eat cold cereal so I make sure to get enough, Special K waffles are yummy too or oatmeal. But because I am also on a budget I don't buy a huge variety of things each week. Then I buy the kids' and hubbies cereals, they don't like my Special K Protein Plus!

Then I figure out lunches. I know my lunches are usually salads, soup or sandwiches with sandwich thins. So I make sure I get enough lettuce for at least 4 lunches a week plus I always eat a small side salad before dinner, that helps fill me up! A couple cans of soup. If a deli meat that I actually like is on sale, I get it..if not I don't. But I plan all this out ahead of time so I know exactly what to get. So aside from dinners my list usually looks like this

Apples
    Bananas
    Oranges
    Grapes
    Special K Protein Plus
    Skim Milk
    Romaine lettuce (usually get the 6 pack for $5 rather than the 3 pack for $3.59)
    Grape Tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Reduced Fat feta cheese (my fav for greek salads)
    Red Onions
    Chicken Breasts (Though I usually buy these in the 64 oz. bags)
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Light Yogurt

These are just the basics that I normally eat for snacks and breakfast and lunches. I also normally buy a few bags of frozen broccoli so if the family is having something I can't really make too good of swaps for I have some veggies and a chicken breast.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to shop unless I already have the meals planned, so I can't help you with a grocery list. I do have a few other sites that have healthy recipes that I'd thought I'd share.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/RecipeIndex
    http://recipes.prevention.com/HomePage.aspx
    http://www.sparkrecipes.com
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I go through the ads. The store I shop at accepts competitor coupons, so usually I only have to stop one place. I go through the ads, clip the coupons, and create my list from those items. I add on the meat that is on sale (I usually stock up on what's on sale, buy extra for the freezer). I add in whatever fruits and veggies that are on sale, whether they are fresh or frozen. There's always some stuff that I get whether it's on sale or not, like salad fixings, side dishes, spices and other odds and ends. I shop for a family of 6 for about $200 every two weeks. I then plan my meals around what we have in the freezer.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually used this tool much, but myrecipes.com lets you send items from your selected recipes to a shopping list you can print or email. The website has recipes from Cooking light and several other mags.
  • augustbells
    Options
    My basics are veggies, fruits, dairy (mainly milk and yogurt), salmon, chicken and beans. You won't believe how many different meals you can make by experimenting with these ingredients! Every couple of days I go out and by a veggie or fruit I've never had before and add that into the mix. Just yesterday I created a cabbage & salmon salad and I absolutely love it.
  • sftbutterflykiss
    sftbutterflykiss Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I do cant break the bank.. so getting started can be fustrating because you dont want to throw away the food you have.. even with it possibly being not good for you.. So this new year.. I started with watching calories with the food I have .. then as I added the weekly things.. like whole wheat bread instead of white.. egg beaters instead of eggs.. ff cheese for lunch sandwiches.. with low fat turkey or ham from deli.. then when i do the big grocery shopping .. I will do the big change... hope this helps.. dont get fustrated... its a ease into it type of thing

lets be friends!
  • kms322
    kms322 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input, that helps quite a bit!:flowerforyou: