Healthy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

Options
chellec23
chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
I made this the other night and we are still eating on it. Tastes great and it's pretty healthy!! This filled my slow cooker, so it makes a lot......

You will need:
2 1/2 C Brown and wild rice blend (OR 1 C brown rice, 1/2 C wild rice)
5 boxes low-sodium chicken broth
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 bag frozen green beans
1 bag frozen peas & carrots
1/3 to 1/2 bag frozen corn
Seasonings to taste
3 quart sauce pan
Slow cooker
small baking dish

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Put a little olive oil in a small baking dish (I used 8x8 glass). Season chicken (i used Ragin' Cajun seasoning and garlic powder) and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cut into small bits.
Meanwhile, bring to a boil 2 containers of low-sodium chicken broth. Add the wild rice mixture and cook for 30 minutes.
Put all veggies, cut up chicken, partially cooked rice mixture and broth it was cooked in into the slow cooker. Add one of the remaining containers of broth. Stir well, cover, and cook on high for 3-4 hours. Half an hour before serving, add the last container of chicken broth, stir well, and taste...adjust seasonings accordingly.
Yields approximately 12 2-cup servings

Note: It thickened up so much that on the second day I had to add another container of stock!

Nutrition info:
Total calories: 2875
Total Carbs: 413
Total Fat: 31
Total Cholesterol: 398
Total Protein: 212
Total Sodium: 9801

PER 2-CUP SERVING:
Calories -240
Carbs - 34
Fat - 3
Cholesterol - 33
Protein - 18
Sodium - 817

Replies

• 2boypeas
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    WHERE was this recipe when I busted out my crock pot this morning?!

Well, tagged for next week's crock pot nom nom :)

Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You're quite welcome!

I know the sodium is kinda high but that's because I used the Ragin' Cajun seasoning and that has salt. It's my newest go-to seasoning though.

When ever I concoct a healthy recipe that turns out I'll post it for you all :)