The Dreaded Shin Splints.. How to prevent them??

Options
I have promised myself that I will not quit trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle as I have in the past. This time around I have tried to pinpoint why I have stopped eating healthy and exercising in the past and I have come to find shin splints to be the reason why I would usually stop exercising.

I have tried C25K many times and by day 3 of week 1 (I do the program every other day as suggested) I usually can't do it because my shin splints are so bad. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to prevent shin splints or on how to get them to go away faster. I would MUCH appreciate it.

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Good shoes.

Go to a running store and get fitted for good, supportive running shoes. It will make all the difference in the world!

p.s.
    If you know you are prone to shin splits, I would also suggest taking an Aleve after your runs and immediately sitting down and elevating and icing your shins. There may be a certain degree of just fighting through it you have to do, but those are all the things I did and, in addition to losing weight, they helped me pretty much lose the shin splits all together *knock wood*
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Learn proper running form.

Land on the balls of your feet with your feet under your center of gravity. Shin splint are most often caused by landing on your heels with your feet in front of your body.