The Drive-thru Diet. By: Taco Bell

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    That's it,,, Byrd for president! She agrees with me, so I know she must be right. Hehehe,,, :laugh:

Hehe...I have been known to eat a fresco chicken burrito from time to time. I even ate a couple chalupas in the past..mmmm, fried bread...:love:
  • amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I grab a bag of tacos about once every other week, dinner for the gang, cheap-easy & good, and with the nutritional info they put out I know exactly what's in that bag.

3 regular crunchy high octane tacos is a little over 500 calories, kind'a high in sodium, decent protein/carb/fat balance. The 3 tacos along with a salad and a big mess o' watermelon or cantaloupe for dessert and I've had a great filling dinner and well within my calorie budget.

It's just food people,,, you don't want to eat it, don't %$&in' eat it. I eat it and I'm doing fine.

Exactly.

They aren't lacing it with arsenic.

It's a flour tortilla (just like the kind you buy in a store) with pressed chicken (this is still chicken, it's just pressed together like a chicken burger) with some bland tomatoes and cilantro thrown on top. Yes it's high in sodium for flavor and preservation. Guess what we preserved meats in 100's of years ago? Salt. These are lower-calorie options for people that eat fast food regularly.

If this is REALLY THAT UPSETTING, don't read it. And be thankful you can afford to worry about something that doesn't affect you in any way. :noway:

Thank you! I first heard of this on the radio this morning and got a good laugh out of it. I believe in moderation. If I want a taco, I'm gonna eat a stinkin taco. It's not gonna kill me, and it's gonna taste pretty darn good. It's all about making smarter choices. Yes, there are idiots out there that will take this advertisement seriously and really think they can eat Taco Bell every day and lose weight, but is it Taco Bell's fault that they are idiots? I mean, come on...lighten up!!
  • sdgreen17
    sdgreen17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The Fresco menu is nothing new, they actually started this back in the '90's when I worked there as a teenager. Now they have just simply jumped on the "Jared" bandwagon and attached a skinny spokesperson to it. The entire thing is laughable to me from a dieting standpoint; but I also work in marketing, and see the marketing genius in it. They don't make money off of dieting people NOT eating their food, and the segment of the population that is making resolutions to diet after the new year is exactly the type of people that they are going after. Subway's revenue always jumps up after the first of the year due to new year's resolutions, then declines around March. Taco Bell is just trying to capitalize on that first quarter revenue potential. It's all about $$$$$.

That being said, I can appreciate healthier choices for more variety. Not that I would ever eat there. I've seen what goes on in there........
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    From the perspective of simply eating better, taco bell items have (I would think) fewer ingredients than most other fast food and a decent portion of those are whole foods, lettuce, tomato, meat. Yes there are additives, but unless you are cooking from scratch with fresh foods, there are always additives, preservative, sodium. I don't generally eat fast food but I do pick it up for the hubby when he gets a craving and it seems to me that there isn't a ton of cheese on even the regular tacos. Surely less than a slice of cheese or two on a burger? I can't believe I'm making the arguement that Taco Bell has a nutritional leg to stand on, but in the fast food world, it seems to me that they do.

I don't like the idea of this being called a "diet" because there are so many teens, worrying about their weight, with cars and money and no parental direction or advice but that really is an issue in and of itself and this commercial is just one thing among MANY that could be misunderstood. So while I don't like it, they didn't exactly ask me either, lol, so they are free to advertise as they choose.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options

Hehe...I have been known to eat a fresco chicken burrito from time to time. I even ate a couple chalupas in the past..mmmm, fried bread...:love:

ahhh chalupas's.....
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I honestly thought this thread would be appreciated somewhat. Sorry for posting my opinion. Geez!

I could care less who eats tacos and who doesn't. The point is...

We are at a point in this nation where health and nutrition are finally being linked. I've seen so many people on this site agree that whole foods are the way to go. Duh? Processed foods are obviously not whole.

So here comes a big business to oppose that force of health and vitality that we have worked so hard to achieve. And like they want, they are defended because its a "smarter" choice than a big mac. According to General Mills Fruit Loops are "Smarter" than Pop Tarts, so are you going to feed your kids Fruit Loops everyday?

Its not about it being a lower calorie, smarter choice. Its about them making money using tactics that I don't find fair. Playing with the emotions of an obese nation. Sorry, I find it appaling. Most people have access to the media definition of health, but the real definition is not always portrayed. Dieting does not make you healthy, proper nutrition does.

I guess if all you want to do is lose weight without getting healthy, you might find this an unneccessary topic. However, myself and many others are focused on health. You can be fat and healthy, you can be skinny and unhealthy. Its not about weight!

Again, there seems to be some agreement that diet is synonymous with health. Its not.

I choose to speak out against things that I feel are going to hurt someone. That is why I have chosen a life as a Social Worker, Advocate, and Volunteer. I do not agree with anyone taking advantage of anyone else for thier own capitol gain.

I didn't post this because I'm against tacos.

I'm a single-mom and a full-time student and running a business from home and I volunteer 5-10 hours a week and I am running a small-group ministry for holistic health and beauty practitioners. I also get crunched for time and money. I even eat fast food, gasp. But I would never recommend sacrificing nutrition for convience. We all have to do it from time to time, but its because its what we have to do. I just don't agree with making a mockery of the health and fitness movement by making it acceptable to eat fast food on a regular basis, which is what this campaign is saying.

A while back I posted about the "Smart Choices" Campaign from one of those cereal companies. There was quite a bit of agreement to this point back then. That a food manufacturer should not try to pass of processsed/convienece foods as healthy options.

There is always going to be 2 steps forward and 1 step back. That second force will always try to hinder the progress made. But that doesn't mean you stop fighting that second force because if you do, it will win! You need to take another 2 steps forward.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

I don't like the idea of this being called a "diet" because there are so many teens, worrying about their weight, with cars and money and no parental direction or advice but that really is an issue in and of itself and this commercial is just one thing among MANY that could be misunderstood. So while I don't like it, they didn't exactly ask me either, lol, so they are free to advertise as they choose.

YES! This is exactly what worries me. Most people don't read health and fitness mags regularly or belong to MFP to educate themselves. They think eating at Taco Bell is normal and they buy the crap that the TV says.

And they do ask us. And when we go and buy the product, they have our answer. Make more.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    A 'diet' is just whatever food you take in. We are all on a diet. Diet actually DOESN'T mean a special way of eating to lose fat and become healthier. That's what WE assign. So this Taco Bell diet is just food that includes Taco Bell.
  • Belle84
    Belle84 Posts: 36
    Options
    Only one thing to say...OH MY GOD! lol
  • sphinctress
    sphinctress Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Songbyrdsweet,

Love your pic!
    : )
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Diet has also come to mean a way of restricting food intake to lose weight. Its been like that for decades. Majority of the people would assume diet would lead to weight loss.

The marketers know that. They used it to thier advantage. Like someone else said, its genius from a marketing perspective.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    ...it's the time of the season where the marketers are cashing in on people's low self esteem and "resolutions"... setting them up to fail, so they can once again produce the same boring mindless marketing next year, same time.

Cullen - you know who you are and you aren't dumb enough to fall for that kind of marketing. whatever man. people will make their own choices and learn from them.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Songbyrdsweet,

Love your pic!
    : )

Thank you! :)

As far as restricting food intake to lose weight-- if you go from eating things off the regular menu 5 times a week to eating things off the fresco menu 5 times a week, your caloric intake WILL be reduced. That's the point. I think it's pretentious to say that these people are uneducated. I'm extremely educated in this field, and I will choose from the fresco menu rather than the regular menu if I decide to eat a Taco Bell.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I know YOU"RE educated. But I know many who aren't. Those are the people I'm supporting. Eat your tacos, eat 20 at a time, I don't care.

Its not pretentious to say that people are uneducated. Its true. I see it everyday. I live in the fattest city in the country. In a state with the highest unemployment rates. People around me are uneducated, poor, and fat. I see it everyday. I work with it. I strive to help THOSE people. There aren't even any grocery chains in the city. Eating fast food is often an only option. Eating Fresco may reduce the calories, but that doesn't reduce the diabetes, heart disease, etc. Who cares if you die skinny?

Thanks Mojo. :bigsmile:
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    I know YOU"RE educated. But I know many who aren't. Those are the people I'm supporting. Eat your tacos, eat 20 at a time, I don't care.

Its not pretentious to say that people are uneducated. Its true. I see it everyday. I live in the fattest city in the country. In a state with the highest unemployment rates. People around me are uneducated, poor, and fat. I see it everyday. I work with it. I strive to help THOSE people. There aren't even any grocery chains in the city. Eating fast food is often an only option. Eating Fresco may reduce the calories, but that doesn't reduce the diabetes, heart disease, etc. Who cares if you die skinny?

Thanks Mojo. :bigsmile:

I grew up in Monroe, but my family is originally from Detroit. I get where you are coming from, I don't think a lot of people do. Detroit is not the norm. Michigan is not the norm. People really don't understand the concept of being on food stamps and literally having to buy food from a liquor or party store becuase there isn't a single grocery store in the city. That's just too much to really wrap one's head around unless you have been there, either living it or seeing it for yourself.

I work through the Food Stamp Nutrition Education Program, though my primary job is breastfeeding. I get what you are saying but here is where I disgree:

Those teens I was refering to, still need to educate themselves, if their parents fail to do so. Having some kind of govt control (since that is the new way to fix EVERYTHING) or public outcry against big corporations that sell us unhealthy foods is not the answer.

The answer lies within us, to make smart choices, let our dollars speak for us and to volunteer and befriend those who need and WANT help. Sharing information and support is the answer. What people do with that information and support is up to them.

If you really want to support those who need education please do, but posting here and getting upset when you don't get the response you think you should isn't helping a soul. I don't mean to sound hash but some people don't want help, advice or education.

I can sit in the DHS lobby with awesome displays and handouts on how to stretch food stamp dollars and how to get kids to eat veggies all day, and I have. If a family isn't ready to change, they aren't going to. We can't stomp our feet and demand that unhealthy foods be taxed or labeled with warnings and the bottom line is we all have the choices to eat better or not.

The problems in Detroit are problems the city needs to deal with. The lack of healthy food choices is something being dealt with at a grass roots level. I've toured some of the community gardens that are helping feed the community and the soup kitchens but as long food shipments require armed guards, no grocery chain is going to move in there. Like it or not, the people of Detroit have made the bed they are lying in. The poeple have voted in corrupt leadership term after term. The crime rates aren't from outsiders coming in and commiting crimes. Again, sorry if this sounds harsh but a massive amount of state tax dollars get thrown into Wayne County and it's just become a bottomless pit and an unfair burden to the rest of the state.

As far as it being a diet, we all have a diet, it's what we consume, song is right. My only point is that I personally don't like the commercials saying that because it's already an attractive pit stop for teens and some will get the wrong idea but again, it's TB's absolute right to call it a diet. Will some people assoicate that with healthy eating? Sure, just like some people think light cigarettes are better for you.
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    So here comes a big business to oppose that force of health and vitality that we have worked so hard to achieve.

That is their job!! Taco Bell came out with a healthier menu in order to compete with the other fast food chains. It is Taco Bell's job to market themselves in a way that appeals to their consumer. It is not Taco Bell's job to worry about who they're making fat or who in America is unhealthy. They choose to use this commercial to market their product just as every other company does. It was a smart business move. They are not out to negatively affect your health.

You're right. There are uneducated people who make think that eating of the new taco bell menu will make them healthy and yes Taco Bell is taking advantage of that. TB is doing nothing out of the ordinary though. Is KFC all of a sudden healthy now just because they have grilled chicken? Is Wendy's healthy just because they use fresh and not frozen patties? Is subway healthy just because Jarrod or whatever is name is, lost x amount of weight by eating there? No, these places aren't healthy but they've been advocating health for years. No need to harp on TB just because they jumped on the bandwagon. It's their job to do that.
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    So here comes a big business to oppose that force of health and vitality that we have worked so hard to achieve.

That is their job!! Taco Bell came out with a healthier menu in order to compete with the other fast food chains. It is Taco Bell's job to market themselves in a way that appeals to their consumer. It is not Taco Bell's job to worry about who they're making fat or who in America is unhealthy. They choose to use this commercial to market their product just as every other company does. It was a smart business move. They are not out to negatively affect your health.

You're right. There are uneducated people who make think that eating of the new taco bell menu will make them healthy and yes Taco Bell is taking advantage of that. TB is doing nothing out of the ordinary though. Is KFC all of a sudden healthy now just because they have grilled chicken? Is Wendy's healthy just because they use fresh and not frozen patties? Is subway healthy just because Jarrod or whatever is name is, lost x amount of weight by eating there? No, these places aren't healthy but they've been advocating health for years. No need to harp on TB just because they jumped on the bandwagon. It's their job to do that.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    A 'diet' is just whatever food you take in. We are all on a diet. Diet actually DOESN'T mean a special way of eating to lose fat and become healthier. That's what WE assign. So this Taco Bell diet is just food that includes Taco Bell.
    Finally someone said it!!!
    Merriam-Webster defines diet as: (among other things) a : food and drink regularly provided or consumed b : habitual nourishment.
    The word "diet" does not necessarily mean someone is trying to lose weight. I've known people on a high-calorie "diet" to gain weight.
    There's nothing wrong with the food off the fresco menu at Taco Bell. You have to be able to make healthy choices wherever you decide to go. You could do much worse.
    And Taco Bell is not heavily promoting it as a weight loss program, in fact they have a disclaimer that says something to that effect on their commercials.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Those teens I was refering to, still need to educate themselves, if their parents fail to do so. Having some kind of govt control (since that is the new way to fix EVERYTHING) or public outcry against big corporations that sell us unhealthy foods is not the answer.

Public outcry was enough to stop the smart choice campaign by General Mills. The American heart Association and Diabetic Association backed off because of the public response, thus closing down the campaign. I was proud to have been a part of that.

The answer lies within us, to make smart choices, let our dollars speak for us and to volunteer and befriend those who need and WANT help. Sharing information and support is the answer. What people do with that information and support is up to them.

If you really want to support those who need education please do, but posting here and getting upset when you don't get the response you think you should isn't helping a soul. I don't mean to sound hash but some people don't want help, advice or education.

This is what I thought I was doing. Sharing information. Never meant for this thread to take this route. Sorry if I sounded like I was getting upset. I was only debating. And I didn't use all caps or a ton of !!!! or call anyone any names. I don't think I attacked anyone, but if I came across that way, I am sorry.

Not everybody wants the info. So they don't need to open the thread. Or they don't need to comment. And they especially don't need to take any advise given. These are just words on a screen, had we had this conversation face to face, it would have been more pleasant, IMHO. I was simply looking for some likeminded people to discuss this. Clearly, I was wrong to come here.

Anyways, this thread is off topic now. I'll keep my activism out of MFP. I've seen other similar topics on MFP and thought this was a good one. Sorry to anyone who may have felt offended or attacked.

:flowerforyou: Have a nice weekend
    Holly
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    I grab a bag of tacos about once every other week, dinner for the gang, cheap-easy & good, and with the nutritional info they put out I know exactly what's in that bag.

3 regular crunchy high octane tacos is a little over 500 calories, kind'a high in sodium, decent protein/carb/fat balance. The 3 tacos along with a salad and a big mess o' watermelon or cantaloupe for dessert and I've had a great filling dinner and well within my calorie budget.

It's just food people,,, you don't want to eat it, don't %$&in' eat it. I eat it and I'm doing fine.

LOVE THIS!! Casper, I could not agree with you more! Well said. Meet me at the drive thru!