Trying new things But Still Not Enough?

Options
Today I ate 800-something calories & exercised it off. My net calorie intake is 13 calories right now. I don't want to eat anything else but I know I should. Will eating more today ruin my diet? I had 12 pizza rolls, a 25% less sugar granola bar, two bottles of water, & a pb&j today - I think I'm doing well. I've been trying to work more fiber into my diet, less sodium, and less transgrams of fat.
Hmm...should I eat more? Did I eat horrible stuff today?

Replies

• dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Are you serious? (Hard to tell sometimes)

Once more for the record. You need to take in around 1200 calories, minimum, although there are individual differences. That's NET. You need to get some veggies and fruits, whole grains, and lean protein into your diet.

Do some reading on this site. Do alot of reading on this site. What you're describing today, if continued over time, is an eating disorder.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Where's the fruit and veges and lean protein? Your body is not going to thank you for feeding it food like that. Yes, you should eat more but make it unprocessed food.
  • xxMyWeighxx
    Options
    I am being very serious. I have learned to love exercising and so I ate a granola bar this morning, exercised for 30 minutes, then ate a pb&J, then exercised for another hour. I think I'm addicted to my elliptical trainer.
    I know I need to eat at least 1200 calories, so I guess I really do know that I should eat more. I'm just afraid to. Also, I wanted to know if I ate some unhealthy stuff today.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is time to get some therapy, rather than asking questions to which I think you already know the answer.
    There is nothing anyone here can do for you if you are entrenched in an eating disorder.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Yes you need to eat more, and yes you ate unhealthily today.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Hun it sounds to me like you have some issues you need to work through because you shouldn't be scared to eat. You really need to incorporate less processed food and eat more fruit, veges, lean protein - this is what your body needs to keep healthy, it's not all just about calories.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest eating something... some nuts, yogurt, fruit, veggies... Not only are you low on calories, but it sounds like you are probably very low on protein as well as various vitamins and minerals.
  • xxMyWeighxx
    Options
    Maybe it is time to get some therapy, rather than asking questions to which I think you already know the answer.
    There is nothing anyone here can do for you if you are entrenched in an eating disorder.

I don't think it's an eating disorder though. I don't absolutely refuse to eat more. I just don't want to. I will. I just don't want to. You're right that I guess I knew the answer already to "should I eat more". I wasn't 100% certain though. I wasn't sure if I had ate unhealthily at all though (thanks to those who answered that for me).
    I could do my research, but I thought I could come here and just ask. Sorry. I'll just...google it next time or something.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    that's awful. you should be netting 1200+ ....netting 13 calories is essentially starvation.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I am being very serious. I have learned to love exercising and so I ate a granola bar this morning, exercised for 30 minutes, then ate a pb&J, then exercised for another hour. I think I'm addicted to my elliptical trainer.
    I know I need to eat at least 1200 calories, so I guess I really do know that I should eat more. I'm just afraid to. Also, I wanted to know if I ate some unhealthy stuff today.

Sounds like the beginnings of an eating disorder. 1200 is the very minimum you should eat. You're at 13 for the day??? And the calories you did eat were junk (excluding the peanut butter). And you're 'addicted' to the elliptical? Way to totally trash your body and metabolism by excessive exercise and no food or nutrients. What do you think you should do??? Eat or go make an appointment with a doctor.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    that's awful. you should be netting 1200+ ....netting 13 calories is essentially starvation.

There was no netting 13 calories...the 13 calories were burned while posting this topic.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Sounds like the beginnings of an eating disorder. 1200 is the very minimum you should eat. You're at 13 for the day??? And the calories you did eat were junk (excluding the peanut butter). And you're 'addicted' to the elliptical? Way to totally trash your body and metabolism by excessive exercise and no food or nutrients. What do you think you should do??? Eat or go make an appointment with a doctor.

seriously. 1.5 hours elliptical --burning what...500-700 calories? you should be eating 1700-1900 calories with that kind of activity.
  • bellstalker
    bellstalker Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged by asking questions here...but 'Google' as well. I would suggest some fruit - perhaps a salad with low fat dressing with some cheese cubes in it. Did you make the pizza rolls or were they bought? Processed foods aren't all that healthy as a rule.
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options

There was no netting 13 calories...the 13 calories were burned while posting this topic.

^^^ LOL:laugh:
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    Don't be discouraged by asking questions here...but 'Google' as well. I would suggest some fruit - perhaps a salad with low fat dressing with some cheese cubes in it. Did you make the pizza rolls or were they bought? Processed foods aren't all that healthy as a rule.

Fruit? Salad w/ low fat dressing? I would suggest I frigging beef sandwich with bacon on it!!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Today I ate 800-something calories & exercised it off. My net calorie intake is 13 calories right now. I don't want to eat anything else but I know I should. Will eating more today ruin my diet? I had 12 pizza rolls, a 25% less sugar granola bar, two bottles of water, & a pb&j today - I think I'm doing well. I've been trying to work more fiber into my diet, less sodium, and less transgrams of fat.
    Hmm...should I eat more? Did I eat horrible stuff today?

You're words tell me you have issues with eating; that doesn't mean you're at "eating disorder" yet. However to know you "should" eat more calories and yet "not want to" tells me...you are heading that direction. Don't go there. The calories did not make you gain weight. Lets put it into perspective. 3500 calories = 1 lb. That means to gain 1 lb you have to eat 3500 calories MORE than what you burn. In order to have gained 10 pounds a person had to have (over some number of days or months) eaten 35,000 (3500 * 10) calories more than their body burned (or used).

The American Heart Association (and lots of other studies) show that the very minimum a person (adult) should eat in a given day (without exercise) is 1200 calories. This is to nourish your body and organs...you do want your organs to work, right? I figure you did; I know I like mine to function well. However, if you are getting a lot of exercise you are going to have to add more fuel....that means food.

Now, the other issue as to whether you ate junk...you know the answer before you asked (I think); but let's just again look at it. A well balanced day should be the color of a rainbow (bold, primary colors); your colors are brown, beige and dull ...this has no life in it. You want food with life. So, a well balance diet should contain Whole fresh fruits & vegetables (get a good portion of them raw, not all cooked and lifeless), whole grains, lean proteins, nuts, low fat dairy (or non dairy products like almond milk, coconut milk yogurt). This will ensure you are properly fueling your body. You want to get a wide variety of foods, not the same things every day because food have different macro nutrients, so you want to get them all...by eating diverse foods, you'll get all that you need and be healthier.