How do you count calories for restaurant food?

Options
On the rare occasion I eat out, I still want to be honest with myself and count those calories the best I can. But what if the restaurant doesn't post nutritional info, and you just have no idea? How do you all handle it? For me it's always just a guessing game.

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You can go to the restaurant's website (or check the food database on MFP) before you get there. That way you have a plan and can just order, eat, and relax.

ETA: (I didn't read carefully before posting my response) If it isn't online, then substitute a national chain selection.
  • Jess6385
    Jess6385 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid restaurants that don't provide nutritional information at all costs, but hey, life happens and sometimes I crave those off the wall restaurants!

Sometimes I try to piece the ingrediants together... like tacos... shell, meat, cheese.

It's really hard to be accurate - Shoot, I find it hard to be accurate even when they do post the nutritional information - They don't measure everything!

I typically just increase my exercise for the day, or accpet it as one of those days that happens from time to time. Just get back on it with your next meal! Do your best and make healthy choices and you'll be fine! :)

Hope this helps!
  • maggamooo
    Options
    I use the database and find soemthing similar if the info is not available. I do this quite a bit because local resteraunts generally are not listed. And I look up things before I order and try to make wise choices or at least know how bad im doing. If i have the calores and want it, I will go for it.

Hope this helps.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Most major restaurant (and MANY local restaurants) I've found have all been in the MFP database anyways.

If they aren't, I will substitute a similar dish from a similar restaurant that is in the database.

If that doesn't work, I just enter each ingredient (at least the ones that add fat and calories) in as best I can.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    First, I ask the restaurant for their nutritional information. If they don't have that, I ask if I can have the recipe. If that is also not available, then I look up the recipe at http://www.copykat.com/.

If all that fails, then I try my best to eyeball my portions, then add 20% to my guestimate. If it is something simple like pizza or burgers, I will use one from a big chain or one that is already in the database. (french fries are french fries are french fries).

I try really hard to enter accurate information including all the macros I can find. BJ's Brewhouse has limited nutrition data, for instance, they include trans fats and saturated fats but don't include total fat in their information. I can kind of guess what it may be based on the calorie count, so I went into MFP's database and updated that information and made it public for other's to use in the future.

Some people may not want to go to these lengths for nutritional data, and I enjoy trying to figure it out. I find calculating nutrients relaxing, kind of like doing crossword or Sudoku.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I had this issue today actually and was sooooo frustrated! Could not find the nutritional info anywhere online and it wasn't listed at the restaurant. I don't feel great about having to estimate but sometimes that's all you can do, and it's better than deciding to not bother logging it at all. Just do your best :)

Also, usually if I'm eating out, I try to find the info BEFORE I go so I can pre-decide what I want. However, today I didn't know where we were going so I couldn't prepare as well as I normally try to.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    If it is just a rare occasion then just eat whatever and enjoy yourself.

Or just guess the macros, it's really not a big deal in the long term.
  • chzheadinkc
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone! You all had some really good ideas! I may not get all the macro, but I at least should be able to get close with the calorie count. Yay!