Ohhh, My aching knees!!

Options
About two months ago I did my first ever Zumba class! Boy, did I enjoy it! Probably too much because since then my left knee has been killing me! Just below the outside of my kneecap. My neighbor said it could be my miniscus (sp?), or I'm thinking water on my knee. Bike riding helps tremendously, walking is a killer. Any ideas? Guess I should go to the dr!!!

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Guess I should go to the dr!!!
    Exactly my recommendation :)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Zumba is very stressful on the knees. It can be done with modifications that do not stress knees as much.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yes, see a dr and put ice on it. If its just swelling ice and an anti-inflammatory rub will help.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hot watter bottle too. Aspercreme is good too
  • ellyloo
    Options
    That's MY worry.. there's a lot of switching directions in Zumba, and I KNOW I have problems sometimes at work when I twist wrong ...
  • Taymay75
    Taymay75 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I just had surgery last week due to a meniscus tear. I read that this injury most commonly occurs when the knee joint is bent and the knee is then twisted. That's exactly how it happened with me. I was exercising doing a dance move.

You should definitely go see a doctor...probably an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in knee injuries.
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    About two months ago I did my first ever Zumba class! Boy, did I enjoy it! Probably too much because since then my left knee has been killing me! Just below the outside of my kneecap. My neighbor said it could be my miniscus (sp?), or I'm thinking water on my knee. Bike riding helps tremendously, walking is a killer. Any ideas? Guess I should go to the dr!!!

my knees ache also but on the outside and it's always when I'm doing my classes.... I also happen to sweat from the knees call it odd or what you will... but I find having knee support on and I ice my knees daily helps
  • danimal5867
    Options
    It sounds like an IT band issue to me.