is this a good lunch??

Options
1light flat out sandwich wrap
4 egg whites
handful spinach (wilted)
2 slices turkey bacon
I just rolled it all up in the wrap.

I'm trying to learn how to eat better and if anyone has any feedback that would be great. Thank you.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Well other than the fact I think turkey bacon is beyond gross it seems like a good lunch to me. You've got some protein, some veggies, seems like it would be tasty...
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound too bad to me. But do the cals on MFP and see how it stacks up in your day.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I agree the turkey bacon is just gross and also so processed... but aside from that yes, it seems oK.
  • ac2662
    ac2662 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Calorie wise it was 245 calories. So the turkey bacon isn't really that good of a choice? That's my problem, I'm having such a hard time changing how I eat.
  • sammyjo0402
    sammyjo0402 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yes. That sounds like a perfect meal. I love to use flatout tortilla's (multigrain w/flax are one of my faves) for a good source of carbs, protein and low to nothing fat. The egg whites are excellent for protein and have no carbs or fat. The turkey bacon is a wonderful lean mean also excellent for protein and lower in fat... and spinach is good for you!
    If you like it you might add a slice of tomato just to make it even more tasty and filling and a slice of low fat cheese or a little parmesan cheese! You could also substitute the bacon with some low fat or fat free beans (black, kidney, refried) and you have what I feel to be a super delicious lunch.
    I also like to add just a little salsa or hot sauce because it's low in calories..thus low in everything else.. and just adds a super boost to the taste (:
  • pwrsander
    Options
    I think it's a fabulous lunch.
  • sammyjo0402
    sammyjo0402 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    245 calories is not bad at all. One thing most people don't understand is that your calories aren't the biggest issue. It's where your calories are coming from. Protein, carbs and fats are the main contributions to what your calories total out to. There are 4 cal. per gram of carbs, 4 cal. per gram of protein and 9 cal. per gram of fat.
    So for a meal with 20 carbs, 4 g. of fat and say... 5 g. of protein.. you're going to be around the range of 56 calories plus the few that are from other minute sources.
    Pay attention to what kind of carbs and fats you're eating.... eat whole grains..multigrains are different.... poly- and mono- unsaturated fats... avoid trans and saturated... and really you're set..
    Don't be scared by a "high" calorie amount without first seeing why it's high.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Add more spinach, toss on some salsa fresca and hot sauce a slice of pepper jack cheese and your in heaven! I do this for breakfast on a regular basis.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    This is MY opinion, based on my info and experience only:

No, I don't think it's a good lunch.

I don't know what the wrap is but since it's "light" I wouldn't eat it. If it's grain I won't eat it either. What's wrong with including the egg yolks with the egg whites? They are healthy, in fact, the healthiest part of the egg. Spinach is awesome. Turkey bacon? Well, I'm no innocent for avoiding all processed meat products, but turkey bacon isn't "healthier" than bacon from pork. It's processed and salty. The lack of fat is probably a negative, at least for me.

You can look at my diary and see what I had for lunch. It was a huge, crazy salad and unfortunately I only ate half of it since it was so filling (full of fat, protein and veggies). So to up my calories, I'll be eating the rest tonight. :wink:
  • ac2662
    ac2662 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So informative!! Thank you. I was strictly watching the calories not paying any attention to where they come from as you have mentioned. I'm still learning and greatly appreciate everyone's input.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    It looks good to me except that I would be hungry in an hour. I would "fatten" up the wrap with some black beans and/or cheese, and substitute real baked chicken for the turkey bacon. That and a side of fruit (cantaloupe or strawberries or Clementine) would stick with me for 3-4 hours.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion for quick, easy, healthy, lo cal & lo sodium:

Grilled or baked boneless skinless chicken breast (I cook a bunch on the weekend with a little spice & pack them in 2.5-3oz weights in ziplock snack bags n the freezer to grab & go): add 1 -2 svgs favorite frozen veggies (personal choice is Birds Eye Baby Beans & carrots) & a handful/svg of almonds (if you have/need a sweet tooth fix, get Blue Diamond Dark Chocolate Almonds - guilty healthy treats!). If you are OK w/dairy, add an 1/8 - 1/4 cup of mozzarella shredded cheese - around 300-350 cals.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Sounds ok to me...except Id use real bacon...it just tastes better...and budget those calories in. Go heavy on the spinach...sounds pretty testy.
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It certainly won't hurt to switch the turkey bacon out for real bacon as long as you aren't eating bacon every day at every meal. I would add some fresh bell peppers and tomato and a little sprinkle of 2% cheese.