Does this sound like enough exercise?

Options
I do HIIT on the elliptical for 20 minutes (resistance at a 6-7 out of 10, but I go for speed), followed by 10-15 minutes of kickboxing work on the heavy bag, 6x a week. I strength train 3x a week on alternate days, and rest on Sunday.

Strength training is done with an emphasis on building my upper body strength (but with squats and weighted lunges).

Upper Body:
Front Raises (2 sets of 12, currently using a 20lb. dumbbell)
Side Raises (2 sets of 10, using a 10 lb. dumbbell)
Bicep Curls (2 sets of 12, using 20 lbs per arm)
Triceps Extension (2 sets of 10, 15 lbs. per arm)
Push Ups (2 sets of 10)
Pull Ups (currently able to do 8)

Lower Body:
Squats (80 lb. barbell), 2 sets of 10
Lunges (30 lb weight), 2 sets of 10
Weighted Calf Raises (20 lbs), 2 sets of 15
Sumo Squats (20 lb. dumbbell), 2 sets of 10

Sorry the post is so long but I really want to find out if I am doing enough....or if I need to make changes.

Thanks for all your help,

--GTO

Replies

• GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT on the elliptical for 20 minutes (resistance at a 6-7 out of 10, but I go for speed), followed by 10-15 minutes of kickboxing work on the heavy bag, 6x a week. I strength train 3x a week on alternate days, and rest on Sunday.

Strength training is done with an emphasis on building my upper body strength (but with squats and weighted lunges).

Upper Body:
    Push Ups (2 sets of 10)

Lower Body:

Sorry the post is so long but I really want to find out if I am doing enough....or if I need to make changes.

--GTO
  • christahollis
    Options
    If you're doing exactly this same thing all the time. You do need to make some changes. Eventually, your body becomes very eficient at the activities you engage in regularly, making them less effective as time goes on.
    So change up your workout, it'll be more interesting, and you'll likely see a better whole body response.
  • maridale
    maridale Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That sounds like alot to me! My main focus used to me on weight training but I've switched to cardio primarily. I still do light weight training or similar 2-3 times a week and I try to walk or jog some everyday.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I have made changes as far as increasing the weight/reps that I do, and incorporating the kickboxing moves into my cardio routine.
  • Chickiebabe151
    Options

Upper Body:
    Push Ups (2 sets of 10)

Lower Body:

--GTO

I would switch to 3 sets of 15 instead. The results will better meet your goals. Do abs everyday.Those are the only muscles that don't need rest. I just hired a personal trainer. I just had her for 4 sessions to make sure I have form down and to point me in the right direction. I have always worked out but after having her, I couldnt belive how wrong I was doing everything. If you can, I would reccomend finding a person to kind of show your the ropes that will help you meet your specific goals. It cost a little bit of money, but if it saves you from wasting your time, you meet your goals faster, and you prevent injusry, then it's really worth it. Good luck.
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    Exercise is exercise at least your doing something!!! so any is enough!!!!!!!!!
  • amycgarner
    Options
    Your body adapts to any program after a few weeks. You need to try different exercises to stimulate those muscles.