Do You Follow The Scales? Or Go By Inches Or Your Clothes?

Options
2»

Replies

• OwenEvan
    OwenEvan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can purchase cheap calipers on Amazon to measure body fat, this % has brought a little peace to my mind over all the scale watching.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I go by all.

Scale cos I am anal that way...I NEED to know the number but I can deal with what it says. The number is good for me to see...it is more of a guideline to see if there is a general trend...I know it fluctuates and is drastically different at times because of food and water intake during the day, so I am good at not letting it get to me.I find that it is really interesting to see the trending changes that occur with me for instance when it is near my TOM, or two days after a splurge on a piece or two of pizza or seafood like clams/shrimp/oysters etc on a Friday (even if in my calories for the day) will show me a gain on Sunday..

Clothes cos that is the easiest way for me to tell if I am losing inches cos I can't measure myself right.

The calipers are great but I only do them when my trainer measures me cos again, I can't get them situated in the right spots.
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    I posted this on several threads that were related this same topic. I measure inches every few weeks but pounds daily.

Ok I started taking measurements on 8/14/2012 through 9/20/2012 for 5 weeks.

here are my stats:
    height :5'2 (62 inches tall)

I used this site http://www.linear-software.com/online.html scrolled all the way to the bottom of page for female and used tape measure method.

Ok on 8/14/2012
    weight@233.6
    body fat @50.63
    lbs/kgs of body fat @118.27
    lean body weight 115.33

Ok today 9/20/2012
    weight@224
    body fat @47.65
    lbs/kgs of body fat @106.75
    lean body weight 117.25

this tape method measured height ,neck,waist and hips plus age and weight.

i inputed the info asked for each of the days and thats what i showed me.

lost 9.6 lbs in 5 weeks plus lost 2.98% body fat in 5 weeks :-)
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    so to answer this question ? I go by all.
  • SpiritRockBernie
    Options
    a scale since i don't own a tape measure! Maybe I should purchase one.
  • cheekylemur
    Options
    I'm heavy enough that I should lose weight, no matter how much I would work out, so I do use the scale.

I weigh daily, but I log that outside MFP on a Hacker's Diet app that gives me a calculated weight so I don't have to worry about normal day-to-day variations and can see whether my weight is following the trend I want. A few years ago that was really successful for me until I got lazy and stopped.

I just took baseline measurements this week to see how I like that metric, but I've never used them before.
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I check the scale like a madman..... well... madwoman....
    But now I'm thinking about keeping track of inches more often .... never considered it before.... but once you think about it, pounds just seem like a relatively meaningless number. You might drop 5 lbs and not even notice it.... lose an inch or some centimeters, and it's definitely more noticeable.