Healthy substitutes for your food cravings

Options
(Ahem, this is my first topic here)

Im interested in what food/recipe you substitute for any craving you have for a really unhealthy kind of food.. Anything that takes the edge off and keeps you satisfied, with no regrets...

I have one....when i crave icecream and chocolate....i beat some yogurt with sweetener and pour it into ice cube trays, stick some toothpicks in and let it freeze.

Then, i melt some Baker's unsweetened chocolate squares with very little sugar, just enough for that dark chocolate taste and when the yogurt "icecubes" are frozen, i pop them out and dip them in the melted chocolate and re freeze them in baggies.

i usually eat 4 or 5 when i go crazy for some icecream.:blushing: This may sound like a dumb idea to some...but it really works for me!

soooo....tell me your foodie secrets!!:glasses:

Replies

• Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I love all types of fast food so the first thing I changed was eating out all the time. It saves money too. I just took my favorite fast food meals and made them into awesome home made versions.

Tacos - I switched to turkey ground meat because you can't even taste the difference with the taco seasoning. I also cut out cheese and sour cream and replaced with salsa but just cutting back helps.

Fajitas - can't go wrong with chicken breasts, peppers, onions and salsa

Burgers - lean beef and piled high with lettuce tomatoes and pickles gives you a filling meal and a great source of protein. Cut back on high calorie condiments like mayo.

Chicken wings - switching out deep fried for baked and skinless can save a lot of calories and still give you that buffalo goodness you're looking for on game day.

Snacks - Trade regular chips for their baked counter parts, tortilla chips, pretzals or popcorn.

I always have canned fruit and cottage cheese on hand for a sweet and savory snack.

Basically, substitute your usually high calorie counterparts for leaner cuts of meat, a better way of cooking and less high calorie condiments and you'll still be able to eat your favorite meals.
  • dobsessed
    Options
    I make sausage rolls using chicken mince, lots of vegies (carrot, zuchinni) to bulk it up, and use oatbran instead of breadcrumbs. I then wrap them using Mountain Bread Rye Wraps instead of puff pastry...it's yummy and it helps with my sausage roll cravings.
  • red051683
    red051683 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used to be a chocolate nut (slowly converting)... I also love frozen treats.

So.. my first major treat that I keep in the freezer and warm up a few when I am needing a 'fix', is my Avocado brownies *pm for recipe* ... They are to die for and seriously healthy as can be!

I also enjoy my protein peanut butter cups, or you could do almond butter cups- I use my protein powder in these and freeze them.

Over the summer I spoiled family & friends with my home-made coconut butter (chocolate) covered frozen watermelon- it was a hit!
  • aubreyjolley
    Options
    I love this topic! So I'm a little different in that I usually enjoy and crave savory/salty food rather than the sweet. A few go to foods that I really enjoy when I'm in the mood to snack but don't want to go overboard on calories are
    pickles! (0-5 cal usually but so good especially if they're crunchy)
    chips and salsa (so chips aren't always the best but when coupled with just a garden fresh type salsa which is basically just a vegetable serving and very low calorie its not bad and always tasty)
    sweet mini peppers (I'm lucky in that I like raw veggies, probably more than fruit really, and I love these and can eat them without any dip they're so good)
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do low carb, so when I really get a craving for a bread, I make an easy Muffin in a Minute. It's AMAZING and satisfies my carb cravings for that day :) Only 3 net carbs.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    when using sugar, add a dash of salt. You will need less sugar this way

when using cream, you could get away with cream

for savory dishes, use lemon juice. You will need less salt and would be able to appreciate more flavors of the actual food rather than having it masked by salt
  • mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Check out my recipes on my blog!! A GREAT HEALTHY SUBSTITUTES!! http://fitandtoneforlife.blogspot.com
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    A spoon of nutella, which I'm partaking in tonight, or peanut butter or a few semi sweet chocolate chips! << Sweet tooth!
  • meeshers
    meeshers Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    it may sound a little weird, but when i'm in the mood for chocolate, i take a non fat greek yogurt, add unsweetened cocoa powder to desired level of chocolatey goodness, and add two little packets of sweetener. it's kind of like a tart chocolate pudding but the protein from the yogurt keeps me satisfied. i saw the recipe online and didn't think it could possibly be good, but i was pleasantly surprised!
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love my ice cream so I needed something for the cravings. The I remembered an old dessert my mom used to make for us kids, Kraft Minute Tapioca! I make a pot with half the sugar, use skim milk and 2 egg whites instead of the whole egg. Then I put it in the fidge to get chilled. Low calories, low fat, very satisfying. My kids love it too, especially when I put a drop of food colouring in their bowls.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone!!
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 3rd week and in the past have had a real sweet tooth. Coke, cookies, any kind of chocolate!
    QT (favorite gas station) has great unsweetened teas so I usually get one in the morning and sometimes I will buy one chocolate mint that is right by the cash register. (43 calories) Although lately, have not even craved that.
    My cravings have drastically changed. Today I was craving veges.....and was excited about eating steamed squash, spinach and brussel sprouts.
    It's amazing! Before I started this, I had so much sugar everyday! I can't even imagine the calories/sugar that I had on a daily basis. Before Mfp, I would start the morning off with a coke and crave sugar the rest of the day. Now I have unsweetened tea and eat healthy (lots of vegetables / eggs).
    I've had trainers tell me that once you stop eating what you are craving, you'll stop craving it. I had a hard time believing it, but found out how true it is!
  • jaimeteague
    jaimeteague Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love savoury things. Recently to try and counter my need for chips I started baking green beans! Mix a bag of fresh green beans in a bowl with a teaspoon of oil and some salt. Bake in the oven for about 8 minutes. Really nice with sparagus tips too!
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I like cinnamon toast on gluten free bread with butter, organic sugar and cinnamon...yum! Also, I take yogurt and organic GF peanut butter and dip my apples in it...filling and yummy
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    (Ahem, this is my first topic here)

Im interested in what food/recipe you substitute for any craving you have for a really unhealthy kind of food.. Anything that takes the edge off and keeps you satisfied, with no regrets...

I have one....when i crave icecream and chocolate....i beat some yogurt with sweetener and pour it into ice cube trays, stick some toothpicks in and let it freeze.

Then, i melt some Baker's unsweetened chocolate squares with very little sugar, just enough for that dark chocolate taste and when the yogurt "icecubes" are frozen, i pop them out and dip them in the melted chocolate and re freeze them in baggies.

i usually eat 4 or 5 when i go crazy for some icecream.:blushing: This may sound like a dumb idea to some...but it really works for me!

soooo....tell me your foodie secrets!!:glasses:

check out skinny ms. slow cooker on facebook she has fantastic recipes