What's the best workout for burning calories???

Options
So I'm pretty new here and I have a question about workouts. I currently walk, do crunches, push-ups, play soccer with my kids, and do basic aerobics from time to time. My question is what is up with all the P90X and Insanity workouts? I know what P90X is and I just watched a video on Insanity, but are these workouts actually for people with a lot to lose or is it better to stick with what I'm doing and then closer to my goal try one of these? The reason I'm asking is because the before pics of all these people show them as thin just not ripped. Please don't think I'm stupid, just new to this stuff. Thanks!!!

Replies

• mackenziegblair
    Options
    Hey, I just started MFP at the end of July and had no clue what I was doing :) If I understand correctly, P90X is more muscle building workouts, while Insanity is cardio based. They are both made by beachbody. Since I had not been doing any physical activity whatsoever (I've had 3 kids in the last 3 years) I knew that I wouldn't be strong enough for either. I purchased Slim in ^ (another beachbody video) and started with it. It was pretty hard for me even at the beginning level since I had not been doing anything, but I pushed through and I got results. I'm 9 weeks in now and down 27 pounds. I'm counting calories, doing slim in 6 a few times a week, and walking a few times a week!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Youtube has a get fit in 90 channel. It has 90 days of free workouts.. Those types of workouts if done properly will burn 500-600 an hour.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I say any exercise that YOU are comfortable doing...gets your heart rate up and makes you sweat..that's a good one. For me that's walking at least 5 days a week at 3.8mph for 60 minutes..and zumba for 45 minutes at least 1 time a week.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    It's a fitness cliche, but the best workout is undoubtedly the one that a person enjoys and looks forward to doing each day. That's almost entirely dependent on a person's fitness level. In the beginning, that may be walking at 3 mph. As a person gets nearer to his or her body recomposition goals, it might be powerlifting and 400 meter sprints.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Weightlifting for me. Not as much calories on the front end, but it makes your body burn more on the rear end.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It's a fitness cliche, but the best workout is undoubtedly the one that a person enjoys and looks forward to doing each day. That's almost entirely dependent on a person's fitness level. In the beginning, that may be walking at 3 mph. As a person gets nearer to his or her body recomposition goals, it might be powerlifting and 400 meter sprints.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

If you're looking for "starter" fitness DVD's, I have several I can recommend that you can start with that will help you build up your strength & stamina. I still fall back on these & just do some modifications to make them harder for me now, but they're still fun. I also have a habit of "naming" my own workouts I do at the gym to make them more fun & something I really look forward to & a few of my friends have adopted my affectionate terms for certain equipment (like Sir Smith for the Smith Machine, Mr.Arc-T for the arc trainer/elliptical). If you're enjoying what you're doing & feel better at the end than the beginning you're already doing something right. I'm thouroghly addicted to exercise now - moves I hated I love because I know how they work & WHAT they work & I've seen the results.

Enjoy first and the fit will follow :flowerforyou:
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just started MFP at the end of July and had no clue what I was doing :) If I understand correctly, P90X is more muscle building workouts, while Insanity is cardio based. They are both made by beachbody. Since I had not been doing any physical activity whatsoever (I've had 3 kids in the last 3 years) I knew that I wouldn't be strong enough for either. I purchased Slim in ^ (another beachbody video) and started with it. It was pretty hard for me even at the beginning level since I had not been doing anything, but I pushed through and I got results. I'm 9 weeks in now and down 27 pounds. I'm counting calories, doing slim in 6 a few times a week, and walking a few times a week!

Wow! Those are great results! Thanks!
  • MissCarter79
    Options
    Youtube has a get fit in 90 channel. It has 90 days of free workouts.. Those types of workouts if done properly will burn 500-600 an hour.

I had no idea about Youtube having anything like this! Thanks!
  • Ewaldt
    Ewaldt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Realistically you should be doing a mix of cardio and strength training, so that you are losing fat, but building muscles to help tone your shape when you get to the weight goal you have in mind. Swimming, Running, Erging, and other full body exercises are great because they get your heart rate up, and when that happens, your body is burning a LOT of calories! But you don't want to be doing that everyday, so that is when all of the stuff that you are already doing would be great, along with whatever else you can think of. The key is to have variety, but make sure that there are vigorous things included. And make SURE that you are eating enough/the right food to keep your body sustained throughout this process because otherwise it will shut down, and you will be wittling away your muscles instead and sending your body into starvation mode, which simply stores more fat.
  • MissCarter79
    Options
    Thank you all very much! I keep seeing all this stuff on P90X and all those things but they are expensive and I don't honestly think I can do it right now. I was feeling like I was missing something or left out! lol! Thanks again!!!
  • mackenziegblair
    Options
    Also, if you aren't wanting to purchase a DVD set because of the costs, youtube has Jillian Michaels 30 day shred on there. I haven't done it but have heard great things about it. You will have to read up on her program and see whats recommended. I think that it is 3 levels, and you do each level for 10 days (30 days total) . Do a search on youtube for Jillian Michaels 30 day shred level 1 and watch it to see what you think. (sorry about the typos, typing with one hand)
  • MonicaFlachman
    Options
    Insanity and Turbo Fire are both awesome calorie burners!!!!
  • HMToomey
    Options
    The one you love. Honestly, it's that simple! Love it and you will do it more! I burn 500 calories with a weighted hula hoop in an hour per HRM and between 550 - 700 in a one hour session of Zumba per HRM depending on how hard I push. BUT I LOVE THOSE THINGS so I do them daily and can't wait to work out which makes them the best *for me*!

Find what you love! :heart:
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    In my opinion swimming Is the best workout!. You use a large amount of muscles and if you do it right there is never a period in your stroke that you aren't moving!
  • nicholettebell
    Options

Perfect.
  • SheilaEvans
    Options
    I am doing curves and curves circuit zumba. Counting my calories and down 18 lbs in 2 months.
  • chowdahead1
    chowdahead1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the P90X program for 7 weeks today. I can tell you this. It is one hell of a work out. My goal is to lose 40pounds. But want to get at least 50 pounds off. I have currently lost 22 pounds and 10.5 inches from head to toe doing the P90X. I will not lie, it is a ***** of a workout. It will kick your a**. While working out you are swearing at Tony Horton. But at the end of it.....you are telling yourself ...good job...you made it through another day...and you feel good about yourself...well...once the pain goes away anyway....lol...I have not tried the Insanity workout personally...but with P90X you have two options....8-10 reps (heavy weights ) builds muscle...and 12-15 reps (lighter weights) is lean. Depending on which workout I am doing depends on if I want more muscle or go leaner...good luck
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    Honestly, I think it's personal preference. For example, I like workouts that involve lots of cardio and tons of movement. It has helped me a ton with my goals. However, I did start first with just walking slowly for long periods of time like 60 min. Then I got into more cardio workouts. I've tried both Insanity and P90x...P90 was more muscle building for me and Insanity was just too insane for me. So, if you see results with what you're doing then stay with it. However, if you think you need something more challenging then try an upgrade in your routine. Hope this helps you out.
  • jodi41086
    Options
    I love the stair master for quick burning
  • ThePTrain
    Options
    I have been working on my life changing journey for three months now and I have found the WII active 2 has helped a lot. Also I changed my eating habits completely. I have dropped 32 lbs and have a lot more energy to do other activities also. I have found the key is to be Determined and not give up.