Coeliac friendly healthy takeway a myth?

Options
Hi everyone, I have Coeliacs, I am gluten and dairy free and also have to avoid some fructose such as apples, oranges and onions and I am alergic to Almonds

So in short my meals can become quite bland and I would love some takeway suggestions that are healthy for when I cannot be bothered cooking. I live in melbourne, Australia

oh and I am following a 1200c a day plan

Replies

• taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I don't really do take out as I have reactions to cross contamination. Most take out places aren't really "gluten free" even if they advertise to be. For quick meals I'll do microwave dinners like Amy's or a sandwhich on Udi's bread or something like that.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Spice up boring with a couple mods like adding a different veggie or even a spice like chipotle, tumeric & mint (great on boneless, skinless chicken!). I also do a rice cheese, I'm not sure if you can get it down under, but check into it. Brand name is Daiya, no soy, no dairy - it takes a little getting used to, but it's pretty good once you do. I'll add it to my plain chicken & broccoli or mixed veggie lunch (a little shredded "cheddar") and it gives it a different flavour :happy:

There are only 2 restaurants in the States I'll semi-trust, and even then it's only once every 4 months or so when Hubz & I can actually get away on a quick "date", but I'll be honest when I say I don't really enjoy it due to the sodium content, I do it more for him than anything.

@taramaureen - Amy's is NOT GF, either. Read their label, while they do follow strict guidelines, their facility also processes wheat & soy. Glutino is safe, UDI's used to do both gluten & non gluten so their facility at one point was not "clean", RUDI's, while following guidelines like Amy's is also not totally GF. Enjoy Life is a brand I TOTALLY trust - free of the 8 most common allergens and Bakery on Main is decent, too (hi cal, but worth the treats).
    I've e-mailed & spoken with several companies over the years & unless I "know" it's safe I do not try or trust.
  • taramaureen
    Options
    Spice up boring with a couple mods like adding a different veggie or even a spice like chipotle, tumeric & mint (great on boneless, skinless chicken!). I also do a rice cheese, I'm not sure if you can get it down under, but check into it. Brand name is Daiya, no soy, no dairy - it takes a little getting used to, but it's pretty good once you do. I'll add it to my plain chicken & broccoli or mixed veggie lunch (a little shredded "cheddar") and it gives it a different flavour :happy:

There are only 2 restaurants in the States I'll semi-trust, and even then it's only once every 4 months or so when Hubz & I can actually get away on a quick "date", but I'll be honest when I say I don't really enjoy it due to the sodium content, I do it more for him than anything.

@taramaureen - Amy's is NOT GF, either. Read their label, while they do follow strict guidelines, their facility also processes wheat & soy. Glutino is safe, UDI's used to do both gluten & non gluten so their facility at one point was not "clean", RUDI's, while following guidelines like Amy's is also not totally GF. Enjoy Life is a brand I TOTALLY trust - free of the 8 most common allergens and Bakery on Main is decent, too (hi cal, but worth the treats).
    I've e-mailed & spoken with several companies over the years & unless I "know" it's safe I do not try or trust.

Yes, I know they're not completely GF or certified GF, but I've never had a reaction from Amys or Udis. I live in an isolated area so choice is rather limited.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You are very lucky then! I was born with Celiac's but undiagnosed until 12 years ago - the older I get the more sensitive I get & the more cautious I've had to become. It stinks, but it's forcing me to be healthy no matter what so at this point I'm accepting I must be healthy & someone has a plan for me to stick around :smile:
  • taramaureen
    Options
    You are very lucky then! I was born with Celiac's but undiagnosed until 12 years ago - the older I get the more sensitive I get & the more cautious I've had to become. It stinks, but it's forcing me to be healthy no matter what so at this point I'm accepting I must be healthy & someone has a plan for me to stick around :smile:

I've actually noticed this too, lol. IDK if I was born with Celiac or developed it or what, but I was only diagnosed a year and a half ago. Most "gluten friendly" stuff doesn't bother me, and I don't really eat the alternatives often (more if I'm in a pinch). But I do consider myself lucky in the fact that the gluten friendly stuff doesn't bother me. I've noticed more issues with restaurants with cross contamination than anything else. The only restaurant around here I trust is a thai place that uses exclusively rice products in their cooking because the chef reacts to airborn gluten.