MUSHROOM CRAVINGS PLEASE HELP

Options
Hey I am at the very end of my calories... I have no mushrooms but I would give anything to have a few (like 2 dozen) baby portabellas roasted or steamed... Does anyone have any suggestions for "like" food? Or a suggestion for a food that is low calorie but could help fight this craving.

I. Want. MUSHROOMS lol

Replies

• HypnoticHaylee
    Options
    I honestly cant think of any other food that could mimick mushrooms im sorry! They are just so unique tasting..

The only thing that comes to mind a bit texture wise is cooked eggplant
  • spangey13
    Options
    Maybe a mushroom soup - just the packet stuff that you mix with water? I don't even know how many calories they are because i usually make all my own soup.
    Sometimes I grill a large mushroom and put stuff on it - like maybe you could have it with cottage cheese and tomato, salt and pepper unter the grill?
    and go for a walk to the shop to get the ingredients?
    Sorry if it isn't at all helpful?
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    What a unique craving! I've never thought of mushrooms as a nosh food. Nowhere similar to mushrooms, but I go to pickles for my calorie free nosh.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Maybe just eat some steamed veggies?
  • toomanycurves
    toomanycurves Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Tofu sauteed in brown sauce.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    YUM! Mushrooms are wonderful tasting, nutritious, and low calorie. I 2nd the idea of walking to the store to get some mushrooms!

The only substitute I can think of is chocolate, but that doesn't fit the similarity requirements in ANY way.
  • hannahamay
    hannahamay Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms really aren't that high in calories if you don't eat a lot. Maybe you should saute a little bit with garlic and onion. That's the way I eat mine! :)
  • ghostpixie
    ghostpixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms really aren't that high in calories if you don't eat a lot. Maybe you should saute a little bit with garlic and onion. That's the way I eat mine! :)
    This! This is the best way to eat mushrooms, imo :D
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I get the same for spinach! and carrots.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the input!! I would totally have taken a walk to the store but the Hubby has the van and my kiddos are sleeping lol.... The steamed veggies were in the freezer so I nommed some delicious broccoli. I might have eaten too much but I figure that it is much better that I "pig out" on broccoli than dig into 5 or 6 fudge bars... yep..
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are actually known more for being the only veggie to have a "meaty" taste to them... so either a bit of meat (like chicken, for example), or maybe a hard-boiled egg. I use crimini mushrooms (the smaller version of portabellas) in my egg white omelets, to replace the meaty flavour of the yolk but with fewer calories, so I suspect it would work in reverse. One large, cooked egg isn't going to set you back too many calories, though.

Other than that, I don't think you're going to find anything to satisfy a mushroom craving... except for mushrooms.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are relatively high in water, riboflavin and copper. If it's a nutrition-based craving, other foods high in copper are summer squash, eggplant, asparagus, tomatoes, potatoes, swiss chard, spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens, kale, molasses, sesame seeds, cashews, sunflower seeds, soybeans, green beans, garbanzo beans and navy beans. For riboflavin, try dark, leafy greens, squash, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, tomatoes, asparagus and green beans are all optimum sources. Minimal fruits contain the vitamin, with the exception of strawberries, plums and raspberries which represent good sources of riboflavin.

Sources:
    Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/202604-what-foods-are-high-in-riboflavin/#ixzz27XinyrIF
    Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/29377-foods-high-folic-acid-zinc/#ixzz27XiYQlDz

So, tomatoes or spinach might be good, they cover both nutrients and have more water than many other foods.

If it's just a habit-based craving or texture... hmmm... not sure, Somehow egg whites come to mind or tofu, but I'm not sure why. :smile:
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are relatively high in water, riboflavin and copper. If it's a nutrition-based craving, other foods high in copper are summer squash, eggplant, asparagus, tomatoes, potatoes, swiss chard, spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens, kale, molasses, sesame seeds, cashews, sunflower seeds, soybeans, green beans, garbanzo beans and navy beans. For riboflavin, try dark, leafy greens, squash, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, tomatoes, asparagus and green beans are all optimum sources. Minimal fruits contain the vitamin, with the exception of strawberries, plums and raspberries which represent good sources of riboflavin.

Sources:
    Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/202604-what-foods-are-high-in-riboflavin/#ixzz27XinyrIF
    Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/29377-foods-high-folic-acid-zinc/#ixzz27XiYQlDz

So, tomatoes or spinach might be good, they cover both nutrients and have more water than many other foods.

If it's just a habit-based craving or texture... hmmm... not sure, Somehow egg whites come to mind or tofu, but I'm not sure why. :smile:

Now THAT was both interesting and helpful! Thank you for sharing that :)
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Thanks to LinaBo, I understand one reason egg whites came to mind... also probably the texture and the fact that I like mushrooms, or tofu in a water based stir/sauté.

And chocolate is another food with those nutrients... (so quietlywinning had something there) and a square of dark chocolate isn't bad. :smile:

Edited to clarify and give credit to quietlywinning.