Will this actually be a lifestyle change or just a diet

Options
Hello All

Having just hit the wall before the end of 2009 I realized it's time to be serious about getting healthy or I would face the same fate as my dad did when he died at 55. I pride myself on being the strong one for my friends and family and always portray the rock solid responsible professional to my coworkers. However, I have never been able to control my eating impulses that I learned as a kid from my parents. i also do not particularly care to exercise. I have always been able to diet and lose weight relatively fast but it always comes back plus some the moment I quit. Unfortunately I do not have the support structure from my family or the type of job that lends itself to being healthy.

I stand now as a 37 year old who has finally owned up to my shortcomings and am ready to try and become healthy. I took the first step by actually going to the doctor and getting my mild hypertension diagnosed and have contacted a support group through my company that can help me with support on my lifestyle changes. This would be a huge step had I not done the same thing 2 years ago and quit after 3-4 months.

This is week one and I am off to a great start with 3 days of controlled eating and exercise in the books. Hopefully MFP along with the support of this board will help me to get a healthier me.

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Sounds like you're taking some great steps towards a healthier you and a true lifestyle change. This site is a wonderful tool for helping you make the changes you are seeking and is full of lots of supportive, helpful people. Good luck with your journey!
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Start with small goals. If last time you quit after 3-4 months, just make it your goal to go to the support group every time it meets for the next 6 months. Regardless of your week or eating or workout, just go to the group. You can do the same thing with your food - just make it a goal to log your food every day, no mater what you're eating, even if you go way over. Even on those bad days, having a record of what you ate can help you diagnose what went wrong and plan for success the next time around. You can't control every situation in life, but you can control your reaction to those situations.

Good luck!

-Alison