How much weight does it take to feel/see a difference?

Options
Question to those of you that have lost-how long did it take or how many pounds until you could feel and see a difference in your body? I've had this for a year, but only ever did anything on and off until last month when I finally decided to get serious about weight loss. I've lost 9lbs thus far and I've been both monitoring my diet and exercising, but I'm not feeling any leaner at all. In fact, I feel heavier and more disgusted by my body now than I have in the past. Thoughts? Suggestions? Maybe I need to do more strength exercises and tone as well? I'm just really not sure, so any advice from someone with more information on this would be appreciated :]

Feel free to also add me and help me critique what I'm eating and the exercises I'm doing. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong. I just want to feel GOOD about the weight coming off, not worse.

Replies

• wendymaci
    wendymaci Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Take progress pics. I've only lost 15 lbs and I couldn't see any difference even though my clothes were a little bit loose. I took more pics and compared and saw my waist getting smaller, my back fat disappearing and my muffin top shrinking. It was awesome to see, because looking in the mirror every day I didn't see any changes. It was really motivating!
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Take progress pics. I've only lost 15 lbs and I couldn't see any difference even though my clothes were a little bit loose. I took more pics and compared and saw my waist getting smaller, my back fat disappearing and my muffin top shrinking. It was awesome to see, because looking in the mirror every day I didn't see any changes. It was really motivating!

Same here. Take pics and measurements. Cause many times you may not lose what you expected. but if you look at pics you will see a difference. I am challenging myself to not look at the scale fora while because it pisses me off, and it not a reflection of all my hard work.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Took me around 30 to notice anything significant (in my eyes, anyway)
  • thescottishone
    thescottishone Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Same here. Take pics and measurements. Cause many times you may not lose what you expected. but if you look at pics you will see a difference. I am challenging myself to not look at the scale fora while because it pisses me off, and it not a reflection of all my hard work.
    [/quote]

Haha! Know that feeling, definitely p'd off with my scale at the moment. I find measuring helps me a little but also find it frustrating as such a slow process!
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options

How often do you do that?
  • missmacsays
    Options

Yeah, I'm not mad at my scale yet BUT I think I'm becoming a little scale-obsessed, which is also not a good thing lol.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Took me around 30 to notice anything significant (in my eyes, anyway)

I'm worried I'm going to lose motivation before that by not seeing any difference :/
  • missmacsays
    Options

Haha! Know that feeling, definitely p'd off with my scale at the moment. I find measuring helps me a little but also find it frustrating as such a slow process!
    [/quote]

I could do measuring! That seems like a better way then just going by the scale.
  • rockingallovertheworld
    Options
    I think it depends on each individual and how much you have to lose in the beginning. I usually notice with my clothes becoming looser rather than any physical changes but other people seem to notice the physical changes . I have sent you a friend request. Also taking photos is a good idea but I really dislike having my photo taken hense my Mc Donalds profile photo! I am off on holiday soon so maybe will get a decent photo then!:laugh:
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Took me 20 lbs to really see a difference. I have this nice protective layer of seal fat all over my body and it'll probably be another 20 before this belly has any real noticable reduction. I keep reminding myself that it's not just the appearance that I'm going for, I want to be healthier as I get older. Being out of shape in my late 40's and 50's is something that I truelly fear.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I think it depends on each individual and how much you have to lose in the beginning. I usually notice with my clothes becoming looser rather than any physical changes but other people seem to notice the physical changes . I have sent you a friend request. Also taking photos is a good idea but I really dislike having my photo taken hense my Mc Donalds profile photo! I am off on holiday soon so maybe will get a decent photo then!:laugh:

I've felt a small difference in clothing, but mostly feeling bloated and heavy. What a nasty feeling! I hate taking pics of myself too. Well, full body shots that is. I don't mind face pics though haha, just so long as no one sees what's attached to my face. But that's all part of this effor to lose the weight. Add confidence for pics :]
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Took me 20 lbs to really see a difference. I have this nice protective layer of seal fat all over my body and it'll probably be another 20 before this belly has any real noticable reduction. I keep reminding myself that it's not just the appearance that I'm going for, I want to be healthier as I get older. Being out of shape in my late 40's and 50's is something that I truelly fear.

Oh I definitely agree on that. This whole thing started not only because of a significant weight gain in the last year, but also because of the new health problems starting to show up. Who wants to be 25 and already needing blood pressure meds and regular blood work? Not I! (Or my bank account for that matter!!)
  • D3vAnge1
    D3vAnge1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The best thing for you to do is take pics frequently...iow, become as photogenic as possible. Granted I don't, but others have caught me on cam when I wasn't look just so they could reveal to me what I can't seem to see. U'll be amazed, especially as you continue with your journey...Now, that doesn't mean U'll always see a thinner U in the mirror, cuz at least from what I've been experiencing, U're mindset about ur image doesn't always match what U c in the mirror...Still tryna fig that one out, lol.

Seriosly tho, try periodic pics of yourself & go by how your closthe are fitting & record & take your measurements ever couple of months or so. If people who had not taken interest in you before & those who use to suggest low fat/low cal recipes on the sly & the others who never complimented you for any weightloss in the pass begin to say "wow, you look good....R U losing weight?" or "OMG, you've lost so much weight!" Don't shrug it off, consider you're doing a really good job & push yourself a bit harder. I will tell you this much, toning up...weight training, other workouts, & eating well will not only help you to succeed in getting the scale to lean your way, but it will definitely give you a boost of confidence, self esteem and, should I dare say, pump your head up a tad :bigsmile:
  • missmacsays
    Options
    The best thing for you to do is take pics frequently...iow, become as photogenic as possible. Granted I don't, but others have caught me on cam when I wasn't look just so they could reveal to me what I can't seem to see. U'll be amazed, especially as you continue with your journey...Now, that doesn't mean U'll always see a thinner U in the mirror, cuz at least from what I've been experiencing, U're mindset about ur image doesn't always match what U c in the mirror...Still tryna fig that one out, lol.

Seriosly tho, try periodic pics of yourself & go by how your closthe are fitting & record & take your measurements ever couple of months or so. If people who had not taken interest in you before & those who use to suggest low fat/low cal recipes on the sly & the others who never complimented you for any weightloss in the pass begin to say "wow, you look good....R U losing weight?" or "OMG, you've lost so much weight!" Don't shrug it off, consider you're doing a really good job & push yourself a bit harder. I will tell you this much, toning up...weight training, other workouts, & eating well will not only help you to succeed in getting the scale to lean your way, but it will definitely give you a boost of confidence, self esteem and, should I dare say, pump your head up a tad :bigsmile:

Thanks for the good advice :] I'm definitely looking forward to when others start noticing. That's usually the only way I can tell is from positive feedback honestly. But I'm pretty sure I need to beef up my workout or I may just lose pounds and still not be fit. Any suggestions? You look like you're doing AWESOME!!
  • caro1275
    caro1275 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have about 60 to lose in all. At 15lbs lost I could feel it I'm my clothes- and a friend who had not seen me in a while noticed. Then all the sudden at 20lbs, I could physically see a change in the mirror, I felt so much more energetic and everyone around me started noticing and commenting.

Keep at it! It's worth it. I reached a 3 week plateau after only a month of "dieting." It WILL come off :)
  • butterflygurl89
    Options

Exactly the same here. Even though I'm down a pant size I didn't think anything had gotten smaller anywhere. And I was really looking/hoping for anything! But others had been telling me they could see a difference, and my pants aren't gonna lie, so obviously something's happening!
  • Cristofori44
    Options
    I started noticing a difference at 12 pounds lost, but then again I recomped a lot and lost inches so I wasn't just going by the scale.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Hi,

I have about 60 to lose in all. At 15lbs lost I could feel it I'm my clothes- and a friend who had not seen me in a while noticed. Then all the sudden at 20lbs, I could physically see a change in the mirror, I felt so much more energetic and everyone around me started noticing and commenting.

Keep at it! It's worth it. I reached a 3 week plateau after only a month of "dieting." It WILL come off :)

Thanks! Hopefully I have the same luck!!
  • missmacsays
    Options

Exactly the same here. Even though I'm down a pant size I didn't think anything had gotten smaller anywhere. And I was really looking/hoping for anything! But others had been telling me they could see a difference, and my pants aren't gonna lie, so obviously something's happening!

Yeah, maybe it just takes longer for people to be able to see changes in themselves. I think when I can fit in my skinny jeans and they look good, I'll be convinced it's working. lol.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I started noticing a difference at 12 pounds lost, but then again I recomped a lot and lost inches so I wasn't just going by the scale.

Lots of people are mentioning the benefits of measurements. I'm definitely going to try that!