Quitting Pop?

Options
Okay, so obviously it's easier to lose weight if you don't drink your calories, but getting pop when I go out to eat with my family or anything is like a HABIT now. It's ridiuclous. Anyone have suggestions on sugar detoxing?

Dang. This is in the wrong category and it won't let me move it ):

Replies

• NotHopelessButHopeful
    Options
    You can try drinking diet, although quitting soda altogether would be better. I've heard of getting diet coke belly. I have the same problem. I've been drinking juice that I've been watering down. When I really crave cola I drink pepsi max.
  • DOElston
    Options
    I've found that sparkling water is an excellent substitute for soda (pop). I get to enjoy the bubbles that I like but without any of the calories, chemicals or sugar. At home, I'll drink Arrowhead with Lemon or Perrier with Lemon. At a restaurant, a lot of them will carry some kind of sparkling water like Pelligrino, Perrier or some other. It may cost a bit more than soda (pop) but it's worth it. WE are worth it!

Hope that helps a bit. It sure has for me. :D
  • tiffanympm
    Options
    I had to break my soda pop addiction twice this year. Its not easy... Its not half as hard as breaking a sugar addiction... but its pretty rotten. I had maybe 2 cans on average or 1 bottle of soda daily. I just went cold turkey. I couldn't ween off the stuff.

I'm now on this diet dr pepper kick. I wouldn't say I'm hooked... I don't have it every day... but because its less caloric I'm not feeling as necessary to cut it out.

Thoughts on diet soda isn't much better than regular... but straight up here... I can point to several other HORRIBLE things I've done to my body...
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I gave up pop 2 years ago for Lent and haven't drank it since. Diet pop is worse, so don't go that route. Juices have just as much sugar as pop so don't get misled thinking that's a healthy alternative. Juice for breakfast is okay, but not a pop alternative. I drink water with Crystal Light mixes. They have big ones to make quart and the small ones for bottles of water. They are pretty inexpensive and have 0-10 calories typically. I also drink unsweetened iced tea at restaurants with a few packets of Splenda.
  • csharpster
    Options
    I used to be a heavy pop drinker. I don't like the taste of coffee so I needed the caffeine from pop to wake me up. I have been using Mio energy and that has been helping me kick pop. if I need something carbonated, I mix the Mio with club soda. If I do drink any pop I usually go with Pepsi Next. It only has 100 calories per 20 oz and less of the aspartame taste then diet soda.
  • Mendelianparakeets
    Options
    I second the sparkling water suggestion. That's what I drank for a while. That said, I never was much of a pop drinker, but when I'd go out to eat, I'd always be tempted to get a Dr. Pepper, and then drink at least 3 glasses because the refills were free. Now I have no problem ordering ice water with lemon when I go out to eat. Even when I do drink something like Dr. Pepper, it's too sweet and I can only drink it in small quantities anyway.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I used to be completely addicted to sugary drinks. I started weaning off my doing one month with no pop. I had to do it cold turkey. Then I started cutting down on juice. I've gotten to the point now where I can occasionally enjoy a sugary drink. generally when I go out, but don't drink it regularly any more.

Sparkling water is a great suggestion. And I now mix my vodka with club soda and lime.
  • esoto602
    esoto602 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the soda water in carbonated drinks, neutralizes stomach acid. You need stomach acid to digest and absorb the nutrients in the food you eat. If you don't absorb your nutrients properly, your body will always feel like it needs to have food. So, it's best to not to drink carbonated drinks during your meals. I've been doing this and I feel it's helped me. If you do drink them, have them 1 hour before or 1 hour after your meal. If you're interested, I can send you the source of this information. I don't do it often, but when I do feel a need for soda, I put a little Pierre water in a little fruit juice.