How do you know if you are overtraining?

Options
About 6 weeks ago I started my 'get fit' campaign and I'm wondering where the line is to optimal training and over doing it? When I exercise I become semi obsessed and want to train all the time. I love working out and find it addictive! I feel guilty when I have rest days even though I know you need them. I haven't lost much weight at all given I'm exercising about 5 times a week doing RPM, running and boot camps. I eat very healthy but I tend to have 'blow outs' on weekends if we go out to the pub or to parties - I wouldn't say they are super bad but as I'm not losing weight I know it's my diet, right?! I have 10 weddings between now and may as well as engagement parties, 30ths and hens nights so think maybe I need to up my exercise to combat this? I want to start running in the mornings before work say 3 times a week on top of what I'm doing. It don't want to get injured or burn out... I was thinking of running about 3.5kms. Does this sound like too much? I'm 28, 169cms and weight 70kg. Hoping to lose 5-10kg.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You'll feel it. Trust me.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

:laugh: So true.

I've wondered if a way of combating those party days isn't just by doing exercise (as they say, you can't out-train a bad diet) but also by eating very little eg 2-300 calories before you start your party (drink zero calorie fluids eg water and green tea, though) or in fact, eat no calories ie fast and do some kind of training that day eg lifting heavy so the body is ready for food later. I've done the former and have notice no impact on my goals but not tried the latter. Perhaps someone who does IF regularly can comment?
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options

This man knows where its at.
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Some symptoms ( ive had more or less them all )

Persistent muscle soreness
    Persistent fatigue
    Elevated resting heart rate
    Reduced heart rate variability
    Increased susceptibility to infections
    Increased incidence of injuries
    Irritability
    Depression
    Mental breakdown
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i'm not saying you cant have the odd 'blow out' but bare in mind that you cant out-train a bad diet. so you may not get the results you really want or think you should be getting if theres a lot of bad food/alcohol in the picture
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Once your body is addicted to the physical and emotional "high" from exercise, and you crave the "move," -- you'll know when it's too much. You're body (mind) will tell you, in the form of that "feeling" that maybe it's time to take an extra rest day. Muscle fatigue is not hard to mis-diagnose. And, by REST DAY, I mean you can just lay low and walk with a friend, socialize while exercising or do something fun. instead of hitting the gym and your regular routine. Planning for regular rest days will combat the body's and mind's urge to clue you in that it's too much. If you plan right, and include regular rest and "fun" days, you can go for months without hearing that little voice.
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    Chances are, you're not. Very, very few people actually over train.
  • gxdragon
    gxdragon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been there.

Insomnia, you're totally exhausted but cannot sleep. When you're at the gym you feel as if you're not training enough. No matter how much you train if you give yourself five minutes to rest you feel like you can and should do more. Your performance actually starts to decline even though you may feel strong.