How often do you adjust your calories?

If you're tracking for weight loss, at how much weight loss do you recalculate to see your new caloric intake?

I've lost 8 lbs so far, so should I keep eating the same calories?

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    If you are questionning it... change it.
  • I would keep it the same as long as you are still making progress
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I recalculate every 5 pounds. It does't hurt. It doesn't change much. I find small adjustments easier to deal with than big ones.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    MFP automatically adjusted my calories to 50 cals lower once I lost 10 lbs, I am also tracking for weight loss.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Definitely MFP will do it for you if you don't adjust every now and then. I platueaed a little while ago, so I adjusted my own (upwards) and that has really helped. But as long as you are losing and everything is all right, I would just leave it alone.
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Depends on how you feel too ... I was feeling very tired and hungry a lot for some time. After looking at my other friends' daily goals and their progress, I decided to up mine. Feeling a lot better. Paying attention to your body is very important.
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    I adjust mine every time that I lose weight. It usually only goes down by 10-20 calories. I'd rather do it this way than have it sneak up on me and lose 100 calories all at once.
  • Depends on how you feel too ... I was feeling very tired and hungry a lot for some time. After looking at my other friends' daily goals and their progress, I decided to up mine. Feeling a lot better. Paying attention to your body is very important.
    absolutely. Great comment.
  • MFP automatically adjusted my calories to 50 cals lower once I lost 10 lbs, I am also tracking for weight loss.
    thanks, ill stick it out a few more pounds and see
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    I have increased my calories versus when I first started.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    MFP prompts you to update your goal every 10 lbs, as the less you weight the less cals you need to lose the same amount per week. But on top of that you should also adjust your weekly weight loss goal periodically, as the less you have to lose the smaller your caloric deficit should be.

Here is a guide for setting weekly weight loss goals.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    If you're tracking for weight loss, at how much weight loss do you recalculate to see your new caloric intake?

I've lost 8 lbs so far, so should I keep eating the same calories?

For every 5-10lbs you should recalculate your numbers, even though it may be a small difference in numbers it all adds up.
    This goes for gains as well.

Congrats on the 8lbs lost so far!!! :happy:
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    How do you actually go about recalculating? I thought MFP did it for you?
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    I have increased my calories versus when I first started.

Me too, by 800 calories! ;)
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    I've only changed once, from 1340 to 1650. Only because the calorie amount was too low for me, so I set it up to a number that I feel confortable with. You should do the same if the calories the site says you're suppose to ingest aren't enough for you.
  • jeddy3mcc
    jeddy3mcc Posts: 177 Member
    When I lose weight I change it here and on my HRM. That way u are working within the program
  • calell83
    calell83 Posts: 43 Member
    MFP has asked me to redo my goals after 10 pounds if I haven't . I usually do it every 5 or so though.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    I just figured out how to do it myself. Think I'll be doing it fairly regularly from now on.
  • skyeliz525
    skyeliz525 Posts: 54 Member
    MFP prompts you to update your goal every 10 lbs, as the less you weight the less cals you need to lose the same amount per week. But on top of that you should also adjust your weekly weight loss goal periodically, as the less you have to lose the smaller your caloric deficit should be.

Here is a guide for setting weekly weight loss goals.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

THAT ^^^ is a great guide - Thanks! I had been wondering about realistic goals based on overall loss wanted.