HRM Users - Question For You

Hey guys,

My heart rate monitor came in the mail yesterday and I absolutely LOVED using it! I got the Polar FT7. I've been doing the P90X/Insanity Hybrid so there isn't really an option for logging that in MFP. Before I got my HRM, I could only really guess at how many calories I was been burning. Apparently my predictions have been pretty damn close, but now I'm excited that I can be even more accurate.

My questions to you all is this.....do you stop your HRM the second after you complete your work out? Or do you wait a few minutes for your heart rate to get back down to normal, then stop it and record your calorie burn?

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I'm not sure if there's a "right" thing to do here, but personally I turn it off right after the workout is over, but this includes any cool down that's part of the DVD or whatever I'm doing. But as soon as the DVD ends, I turn it off. Any "afterburn" is a bonus :)

Edited to more pointedly answer your question: I don't wait for my HR to come back down to resting.
  • tuck1jl
    tuck1jl Posts: 55 Member
    I usually turn mine off after I'm done with my cooldown. As soon as I'm done with my last stretch, right before I get in the shower. :)
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    It's only a few calories. I dont think it's such a big deal.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    It's only a few calories. I dont think it's such a big deal.

Yeah you're probably right.

Thanks everyone :)
  • mgreenham
    mgreenham Posts: 40 Member
    I too don't think it's a big deal either way. But from what I can tell, it looks like your workout is actually over 2 min AFTER you stop working out. This is your hearts "Recovery phase"
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    I usually just turn it off after I am done with the cool down. Mainly because that is when I remember to turn it off and because I like to see how fast my HR goes back down to normal levels (it shows your fitness level and how quickly you can recover).
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    I too don't think it's a big deal either way. But from what I can tell, it looks like your workout is actually over 2 min AFTER you stop working out. This is your hearts "Recovery phase"

^^ same. I usually turn it off a couple minutes after I'm done... I let my heart rate come down a little but not all the way back down to a normal rate.

So happy for you btw! It's funny how addicting and amazing it is to get to learn so much about your body :)
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    I agree that there really is not a right /wrong answer here.. it's personal preference.

But I always include a small walk that will bring my heart rate back down into the low 100s before I press stop. My trainer always told me DO NOT STAND STILL after your finished working out, because you want your heart rate to gradually go down.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    It sort of depends on what I'm doing. If I am running on the treadmill, I stop it right away when I finish my workout. If I run on the track outside, I stop it when I get back home...it's about a 3block walk back home.

DVD's, usually my heart rate has slowed by the time the DVD is over so usually right away. Bike ride, usually right away..

So really, I guess I do both depending on the exercise and circumstances
  • right after I am done the cooldown part of the dvd's... I am doing the insanity/asylum hybrid... My hr pretty much goes back to normal by the time I am finished with the cool down...
  • I turn my off when I am completely done working out.
  • I stop it when I remember. :laugh:
    If I go to the gym, usually when I get back to my car.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Your HRM is just an estimate, and that extra couple of minutes is only going to account for 20 or so cals, so it doesn't much matter which way you go. IMO, just be consistent.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    I have the ft7 as well.. I turn it off after the cool down with insanity or if I am walking or running when I stop.. Some people go by when the heart rate drops, I just stop it when I am finished.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Hey guys,

My heart rate monitor came in the mail yesterday and I absolutely LOVED using it! I got the Polar FT7. I've been doing the P90X/Insanity Hybrid so there isn't really an option for logging that in MFP. Before I got my HRM, I could only really guess at how many calories I was been burning. Apparently my predictions have been pretty damn close, but now I'm excited that I can be even more accurate.

My questions to you all is this.....do you stop your HRM the second after you complete your work out? Or do you wait a few minutes for your heart rate to get back down to normal, then stop it and record your calorie burn?

Assuming a HRM is 100% accurate (which they are not) you should turn them off right after. The reason is HR=/= calorie burn. HR is used to estimate the intensity of your exercise. So if you keep it on but are not exercising your HRM thinks you are working at a certain % of intensity, when you are really not working out at all.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I think I will just turn it off when the DVD ends since the DVDs do include a cool down period :)
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    From what I've read, the important thing to do is be consistent. You can better see your improvement if you turn it off consistently. So, choose your poison: Right after the DVD finishes, when you get back to normal, or some random number (100 beats per minute or below Zone 1 are two good choices.)

Good luck!
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    I use 100 BPM as the cut off. It's usually about 5 min post workout.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    My personal 'rule' is that I turn it off after stretching and cool down. I aim for 90 bpm, which is 1.5x my resting heart rate (60 bpm).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    I use 100 BPM as the cut off. It's usually about 5 min post workout.

Why 100 BPM, read my earlier post, you will not be really burning anymore cals than if it were 60 bpm, your hrm assumes your HR at level x means you are giving x intensity, but if you are just sitting or standing there than the HRM will over estimate.