vanity sizing

Options

Replies

• KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    it's an interesting story. Will have to process my thoughts and come back on it.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    My favorite is going to Old Navy (they are the worse at this) and you pick up a size, say a L, in a shirt and then pick up the same shirt in a size L that is either 2-3 inches smaller or bigger. If it is the same size of the same shirt, you should be able to hold them up and they match size exactly.

Also, something that may play in to the pants size... I wear my pants low, as do many people now. Back in the 1950's they wore their pants much higher, usually closer to the actually waist. My waist is much smaller than my hips. Hmmmm.... I bet if I wore my pants closer to my natural waist I'd probably be a smaller size. But I don't like waistbands above my belly button. :P
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Heard the NPR story this morning, too. What really makes me mad is that even within a brand that you've worn for a long time you just can't trust their sizing. Not even from their body measurement suggestions on a sizing chart. What do I care if my pants say size 2 if it took three purchases to get it right since I thought I was a 6? How flattering is that 2 when you had to add size 000 to your clothing line? Ridiculous. Where it gets silly is in historical references when people say things like "Marilyn Monroe was a size 10!". Not a 2012 size 10, morons. She had a 22 inch waist.

OMG the Marilyn Monroe thing cracks me up. Just look at a damn picture and you can see that she was not a modern day size 10. http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/04/marilyn-monroe-was-not-even-close-to-a-size-12-16/ I found that article interesting.

Anyways, yeah, I hate how inconsistent it is even from the company's size charts, as well. For instance, at my heaviest, my waist was 31.5" and my hips were 41.5". According to the size charts from Express, I should have been a 12 in their pants. However, when I went in and bought a couple pairs of pants and a skirt, they were all size 8. So stupid! What if I had purchased online?

I hate how it varies from brand to brand, too. I legitimately own bottoms in everything from a 0 to an 8, and they all fit. Whaaaaatever.

:laugh: I was going to mention the Marilyn thing too, but I thought, nope not stirring that pot today. :laugh: Every time I hear that, I giggle.

And brand-to-brand different sizing is expected to me. I just absolutely can not stand it when ONE brand is so inconsistent it makes me want to scream. The Express thing sounds very similar to Old Navy. I currently own a bunch of Old Navy clothes (capris, shorts, and pants) and they range from size 8-12 and I believe I have one skort that is actually a 6 and they ALL fit, talk about inconsistent!

Designers and department stores have made it were you HAVE to try clothes on before you buy them. And buying online is a HUGE gamble.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Eh...some brands do it, others don't. Do I believe that my Rock Republic jeans in a 29 truly represent a size 8? Uh, NO. And my loft pants run half a size big.

But, about 17 years ago when I was in college and weighed about the same as I do now, I was wearing the exact same sizes. So it hasn't changed THAT much.
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    Great article! Completely common sense, but it still taught me something new. Best start eating more slowly and consciously!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    yep, I knew this back in the '70's when I was sewing clothes. The design pattern sizes had changed measurements/sizes from the '60's. And of course the sizes vary wildly from maker/designer.
    But then too, we walked or rode our bikes everywhere, the library, the ymca, church, downtown, school, ect. Only took the car or taxi for major shopping trips, to the lake, ect. Today we tend to take transportation (car, taxi, bus, tram) everywhere. Exercise seems to be an after thought for most americans, and it has been taken out of a lot of schools too. Fast food is cheap and easy.
    The average american IS fatter than what we were in the '50's, but then too, average american doesn't like to be called fat~
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    i feel like im in WALLe...
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I do wish all the sized would be the same at every restaurant, but I don't think that the government should make food decisions for you. New York is heading in a very very bad direction as far as our personal liberties are concerned. However, I don't think the clothing sizes should lie....
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    I do wish all the sized would be the same at every restaurant, but I don't think that the government should make food decisions for you. New York is heading in a very very bad direction as far as our personal liberties are concerned. However, I don't think the clothing sizes should lie....

and this is the quandry.. do we continue to be lied to?
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    just for fun I measured hubbys waist where his pants sit, he is 41 inches.. however he wears a 36 inch waist pant... that is a crazy difference, I asked him " how big isyour waist? " he said" well a 36 obviously" that is when I clued him in to his 41" size and his jaw dropped, then I explained apparently vanity sizes are not just womens! He is not too happy lol
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Listening now. Thanks for sharing.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options

and this is the quandry.. do we continue to be lied to?

These are not the droids you're looking for...
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I am a guy, but I suspect that some bra manufacturers are making vanity cup sizes so a B cup can think she is a D cup.
    Do any women agree or am I crazy?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I am a guy, but I suspect that some bra manufacturers are making vanity cup sizes so a B cup can think she is a D cup.

You're crazy :-) Cup size is relative to the band size. So, a B cup with a 38" band, is the same as a D cup with a 36" band. The cup size is the number of inches bigger than the band size. 1" per cup size. The band sizes are pretty much exact to the measurements.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options

You're crazy :-) Cup size is relative to the band size. So, a B cup with a 38" band, is the same as a D cup with a 36" band. The cup size is the number of inches bigger than the band size. 1" per cup size. The band sizes are pretty much exact to the measurements.

This is how it's supposed to work, but as any women can tell you, try on the same size bra in different brands and, just like pants, they're gonna fit differently! Example: when I measured a solid 34C, at Victoria's Secret I had to buy a 34D. I laughed and called my sisters, cuz smallish boobs run in our family and the thought of any of us being an actual D is preposterous. Now I measure a 32C supposedly, but the bras I recently bought at Target are 34Cs and tightish in the band, no matter what the tag or the measuring tapes say!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the article, but here's a fun fact: I shop at Old Navy a lot because I'm cheap. So last year I bought some size 6 jeans there. Those jeans are now a little baggy on me. But I have another pair of size 6 jeans that I bought there 4 years ago -- same cut, same rise, same everything -- that I can barely get buttoned. In 4 years, their clothing sizes have changed that drastically at the SAME STORE. That blows my mind.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

This is how it's supposed to work, but as any women can tell you, try on the same size bra in different brands and, just like pants, they're gonna fit differently! Example: when I measured a solid 34C, at Victoria's Secret I had to buy a 34D. I laughed and called my sisters, cuz smallish boobs run in our family and the thought of any of us being an actual D is preposterous. Now I measure a 32C supposedly, but the bras I recently bought at Target are 34Cs and tightish in the band, no matter what the tag or the measuring tapes say!

I can't find bras at Victoria's Secret that fit me. I wear, generally, a 36 or 38 B. 36B is a little tight around at Victoria's so I try on a 38B and suddenly the cup changes sizes and becomes more like a C. I don't care if I'm a B or a C, I just want a bra that fits! Luckily I have found one brand that has been consistant in sizing over the years, both band and cup wise.
  • amylovescupcakes
    amylovescupcakes Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    That's why I buy UK sizes...so I'm closer to not lying to myself. :(
  • ncprasad
    ncprasad Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I listened to the same program on NPR this morning. Doesn't surprise me one bit since I went to UM and know the professor who was cited in that segment as well as the research on portion/dress sizes.

It's amazing how sophisticated the marketing folks have become in manipulating people into consuming/purchasing more.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    In 1979 I weighed 125 lbs and wore a size 14
    In 2010 I weighed 180 lbs and wore a size 14

Ahh! the magic of vanity sizing...

Currently bouncing around between 140-145 an wearing a size 6.
    Last time I was a size 6 (6X actually) I was 6 years old.