Cardio: Short Burst vs Long Burst???

Options
Does anybody know if it more beneficial to do three (3) 20 minutes burst of different cardio or one long stretch of cardio on the same machine??? I've noticed that some people hop from machine to machine to work out on, and didn't know if they know something I don't. I thought it was better to stay on one machine and keep your heart rate up on it, vs get it going, get off, and start again.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The best would be the one that you stick with that you enjoy the most. The more you enjoy it the more likely you are to continue with it.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'll start by saying I don't claim to be an expert on fitness. I think there are too many people that think they "know it all".

Now with that out of the way....

Depends what your goals are. If you're just trying to lose weight (fat), then I think anything is better than nothing, and which machine you go on for how long matters little -- as long as you're exercising. This is especially true if you're just starting out.

As you get more fit and lose some fat, you'll need to turn up the wick some to get the same results (my experience), and as you get closer to goal weight, you really have to invest the effort (push hard) to get there. It takes dedication, determination, and effort.
  • mbkessler
    mbkessler Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I hop from machine to machine. I also love spinning, which constantly changes pace and position. The theory is that, from a cardio perspective, you get more of a "heart workout" by having your heart rate drop for a moment and go back up again. I'm not sure what the impact is on actual weight loss - and I'm not sure if the "hill workout" that goes up and down in intensity on most ellipticals and other machines has the same effect.
  • RunningDirty
    Options
    Does anybody know if it more beneficial to do three (3) 20 minutes burst of different cardio or one long stretch of cardio on the same machine??? I've noticed that some people hop from machine to machine to work out on, and didn't know if they know something I don't. I thought it was better to stay on one machine and keep your heart rate up on it, vs get it going, get off, and start again.

I hop from machine to machine because I can't stand staying on one machine for that long. I'd rather be outside doing cardio, but if I'm stuck with machines, I'll change it up so I complete the time I committed to for cardio. That may explain why some people are hopping around?! :wink:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I do both. Some days I just do walk/run intervals on the treadmill for thirty minutes, some days I switch it up. For me it's mostly about keeping myself from getting bored. If I stay on the same machine for too long, it begins to feel monotonous. Also, different machines work different muscles.
  • tendumom
    tendumom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good question

I stumbled across the Tabata method of interval training this morning... the concept that a short high intensity workout is more beneficial than a longer moderate intensity workout.. which makes me think the answer to your question might be 3 bursts of 20 minutes.

That said, an hour on the same machine is near torture for me. I can do an hour long class, but I would never push myself hard enough on a machine for an hour and I get bored! I actually prefer 15 minute sessions to keep myself focused and interested when I am working by myself.

Do look up the Tabata method of interval training. I am still reading about it (as I mentioned, just came across it this morning) but I think I may incorporate it on the days when I have trouble getting to the gym.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I do this because I am training for a race in May called Spartan Race. It helps my body to get in the mode of run and than you have an obstacle. Sometimes I will run for 800m (as fast as I can), calisthenics (burpees, push ups, pull ups, jump lunges etc) and than 400m. I usually do 4 rounds of this. I have also noticed that it helps with my long distance as well.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    The best would be the one that you stick with that you enjoy the most. The more you enjoy it the more likely you are to continue with it.

I agreed with Erikb I stick to one cardio machine. I run and i do variations of speed intervals on it or I'll do one long run with a walk break in between for about 5 minutes. works well for me. but your best bet is do what works best for you.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'll start by saying I don't claim to be an expert on fitness. I think there are too many people that think they "know it all".

Now with that out of the way....

Depends what your goals are. If you're just trying to lose weight (fat), then I think anything is better than nothing, and which machine you go on for how long matters little -- as long as you're exercising. This is especially true if you're just starting out.

As you get more fit and lose some fat, you'll need to turn up the wick some to get the same results (my experience), and as you get closer to goal weight, you really have to invest the effort (push hard) to get there. It takes dedication, determination, and effort.

^^This! Definitely!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I agree. It depends on what your goals are. I don't personally do any cardio activity without having a goal, I'd rather read a book.

Low-intensity cardio done over a longer time will increase your ability to run longer distances, or for a longer time. Arguably, it burns slightly more calories over time than high-intensity cardio.

Mixing bursts high-intensity cardio with low-intensity periods (interval training) will enhance performance in both speed and endurance.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Whatever you can tolerate that burns the most calories in the least amount of time
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    In my view, the optimal training method is the one that a person enjoys doing the most because it's likely to produce the best physiological and endocrinological response. Of course, it's the method a person is likely to do more often as well.

If a person is well conditioned, that may mean doing challenging high intensity interval training for 15 minutes. If a person is not well conditioned, that may mean walking at 2.5 to 3.0 mph for 60 minutes.

Desirable body recomposition and improved cardiovascular conditioning are dependent on finding an exercise routine suited to a person's current fitness level.
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Tabata interval training is intense and can have great results. Honestly though as everyone has said what you do has to keep you interested. I've found myself shifting from cardio weights 6 days a week to 3 days of heavier weights and 3 days of running.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The theory is that, from a cardio perspective, you get more of a "heart workout" by having your heart rate drop for a moment and go back up again.
    There is no inherent fitness value in having your heart rate drop. The only reason to let it drop is when doing high intensity reps. The value there is not in letting it drop but in recovering enough between reps that you can do a higher volume of high intensity.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The theory is that, from a cardio perspective, you get more of a "heart workout" by having your heart rate drop for a moment and go back up again.

Sorry but I don't think this is true. If you're doing any kind of interval training, you shouldn't let your heart rate drop substantially in between intervals. Having your heart rate suddenly drop is actually more of a bad thing than good. That's why people spend some time cooling down from a high intensity exercise rather than just collapsing.
  • mbkessler
    mbkessler Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Sorry but I don't think this is true. If you're doing any kind of interval training, you shouldn't let your heart rate drop substantially in between intervals. Having your heart rate suddenly drop is actually more of a bad thing than good. That's why people spend some time cooling down from a high intensity exercise rather than just collapsing.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean substantial drop. If you're moving from workout machine to machine, you're varying your intensity, which is good for your workout and cardiovascular health. For example:

"Even within the target heart rate zone, variation is important. "Rather than just a single heart rate goal, it is beneficial to have multiple zones," says Erica Tuttolomondo, athletic director at Rush-Copley Healthplex, a fitness center Aurora, Ill. "Training in three different zones helps you exercise smarter, not harder. It can help you lose weight, increase metabolism, increase speed, and avoid overtraining."

A good workout, for example, would incorporate light (60 to 70 percent), moderate (70 to 80 percent) and hard (80 to 90 percent) zones." http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/target-heart-rates.aspx