The Straight Poop

Options

Replies

• citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem, except occasionally and briefly when I eat too much cheese and not enough fiber, but I love beans, brown rice and oatmeal so it is pretty rare.
    My guess is you aren't getting enough fiber so if you really hate whole grains: add fresh fruits and vegetables--add more veggies than fruits.
    You could also try dates, prunes, raisins, etc...
    Also--that Jamie Lee Curtis yogurt might help--though all yogurt and probiotics could also be beneficial.

I did have constipation after back surgery last year and this is what I learned:
    A little prune juice goes a long way and is pretty tasty. I had always assumed it would be disgusting.
    MiraLax is the laxative doctors prescribed and I recall it being gentle and it mixed easily into any beverage.
    Good luck!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    As an ex laxative abuser(used to be anorexic), I remain pretty regular just eating about Ib of vegetables a day and a few pieces of fruit, with some milled flax stirred into greek yoghurt/quark.

I also take a probiotic with added fibre.

And if I really get bunged up, prunes work for me just fine. Best eaten close to bedtime, around 50g. And a hot drink on getting up.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Coffee. Lots of vegetables. Water.

And. Exercise. Nothing better for getting the insides moving then getting moving! At least that's what I've found.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I had these issues before I started eating better. Now I'm pretty regular. Maybe your not getting enough water. If you like air popcorn there is fiber in that and not much calories. Sorry you are having this problem :/
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    There are lots of yummy foods that contain fiber.

Off the top of my head: raspberries, pears, apples, strawberries, whole wheat spaghetti, Raisin Bran and other high-fiber cereals, Fiber One bars (love the choc chip granola), oatmeal, red beans, black beans, split peas, lentils, artichokes, peas, broccoli

I've also had luck with blueberries, grapes, and prunes when I need a "natural" laxative. Raisin Bran works well because it has fiber AND grapes (raisins).
  • loriaqui
    loriaqui Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I won't mention 'plants'. However, I do that a supplement that has something to that effect...smack. Got it...:bigsmile:

On a side note...I noticed that since I wasn't eating all that junk...my body had no waste to dispose of...so I can go without for a few days...feel absolutely fine.

Edit: I will add that the days I do go in a row...tend to be the next day(s) after a meal of carbs. Don't know if that is the reason or not...just noticed it tends to happen that way.
  • mss_anthropy
    mss_anthropy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    30 day cleanse? tooooo damn long to be constipated if you ask me...... what works for me.....

fiber one cereal (the original stuff that looks like rabbit pellets lol)
    Naked Juice - Blue Machine
    castor oil pills (if you're desperate to poop, pills cus i hate the taste)

honestly the first 2 move me pretty quick especially if you do them together...
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    Ok I know you drink water... already... But this really seems to help many people I know... 5-6 glasses of water before you brush your teeth yes it sounds gross...but I know many people who do it...and almost immediately it's "plop de plop" ;)... can't hurt to try i guess...

just make sure you brush and floss the previous night ;)
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    Didn't read all the replies. I go to my health food store and get something called "Smooth Move" it is a tea and is kinda licorice flavored. It wasn't or isn't harsh. They have a chocolate flavored one but I heard that is awful.
  • bowseramanda
    bowseramanda Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like the Kellogg's Fiber Plus Antioxidants bars.. they are only 120-140 calories each and contain 9 grams of fiber each (35% daily value). Have you tried that?
    I have. they are delicious but also known as fart bars.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    DRINK A CUP OF PRUNE JUICE 3 TIMES A DAY FOR 3 DAYS, THEN WE'LL TALK.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    DRINK A CUP OF PRUNE JUICE 3 TIMES A DAY FOR 3 DAYS, THEN WE'LL TALK.

Lord that will do it for sure......I tried and had to hold my nose I just don't like the way it tastes!
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Changing my diet has actually helped ...

But you could try a fibre supplement.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Have tried numerous recommended fixes to include all types of fiber but found the best to be either Milk Thistle for liver and gallbladder function or good ole Magnesium Citrate tablets (acts much like Milk of Mag but no "Diarrhea").

YEP, I'VE HEARD OF THEMAGNESIUM CURE TOO. AlSO HEARD TAKING IT ONE HOUR BEFORE BED TIME HELPS YOU SLEEP.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    pureed prunes or figs, prune juice and pineapple juice. Learned that after a surgery and not being allowed to leave the hospital til, ahem, things happened.
    Also senna is a pretty mild one, mom had to use it when she went through chemo, but regular laxatives would have been way too hard on her system. (I think 'smooth move' is a senna tea, I saw someone else suggested it)
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    A bowl of Cheerios or Raisin Bran will do it every time for me. You can try prunes they work pretty well also. Try to stay away from the meds if you can as they can cause laxative dependence.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Vitamin stores have a gentle laxative :) Colon cleanse but MAKE sure to ask the difference in each one cause some will be you run!!! lol
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, I was actually more constipated when I used to eat wheat products.

Since changing to a wheat and grain free diet with loads of vegetables and increasing my good fat intake (olive oil, coconut oil, avocadoes, nuts, etc) it has improved immensely.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Miralax? My daughter had to take it when she got bound up pretty bad. Seemed pretty gentle & tasteless - mix with anything.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    start chomping on straw.

JK.

I suggest, Metamucil, fiber pills, Flaxseed, fibrous veggies, fiber powder, Spinach.

Not all at once though.