Does your body know?

Options
Does your body really know if you ate a protein bar VS a "normal" meal? Or does your body grab the nutrients from whatever you eat, use what it can, store any extra energy, and then get rid of the waste?

Think about it.

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Depends on the definition of "your body" for me...

as usually the bacteria in my GI tract tell me when a protein bar hits it...
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My question would be more "what other ingredients, sodium, etc" are in the bar vs the real food, and how processed is the bar? This will change so much from brand to brand.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I mean your body's systems. So yeah, the digestive system is included. :smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    My question would be more "what other ingredients, sodium, etc" are in the bar vs the real food, and how processed is the bar? This will change so much from brand to brand.

Valid question, but what if I said the same "other ingredients" are in the real food too? Say that you sprinkled sugar, salt, or whatever to the food that had the same amount of protein, carbs, and fat. Does your body know the difference?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Valid question, but what if I said the same "other ingredients" are in the real food too? Say that you sprinkled sugar, salt, or whatever to the food that had the same amount of protein, carbs, and fat. Does your body know the difference?

well the ingredients are always going to vary.
    a lot of protein bars have soy protein (garbage) in them. so in that case, yes, your body would be better suited with real food.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Yes, this is true. They vary VERY widely. But I am just thinking that your body doesn't know if it's spinach or kale or if its Reese's cups. I am thinking that the body works based off of the chemical breakdowns. Anyway, that was my point. Just something to think about. My guess is that the answer to questiong 2 in the OP is "Yes!" (But of course, I'm willing to accept being wrong. I just don't see how the body systems could operate any other way.)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Your body knows what it can use and what it can't, and it is broken down accordingly. A lot of stuff your body needs, but not too much (i.e. sodium).

The interesting thing is the "getting rid of the waste". Your liver plays a big part in that. The liver also plays a part in metabolism and fat storage. The priority for it is getting rid of the toxins and when it is busy doing that, other functions are put on hold or are not at full function.

So when you say "real food" are you talking about "clean foods" or "processed stuff that passes for food"?
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are calling a normal meal... for me, yes, it knows the difference. For you....... I'm guessing if you are asking this question, it probably doesn't.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Your body knows what it can use and what it can't, and it is broken down accordingly. A lot of stuff your body needs, but not too much (i.e. sodium).

The interesting thing is the "getting rid of the waste". Your liver plays a big part in that. The liver also plays a part in metabolism and fat storage. The priority for it is getting rid of the toxins and when it is busy doing that, other functions are put on hold or are not at full function.

So when you say "real food" are you talking about "clean foods" or "processed stuff that passes for food"?

I am referring to "clean foods." Your liver comment is a very good point. Too much waste is not good.
  • stevehomoki
    Options
    A protein bar is good if your trying to meet your calorie/protein goal and currently on the move and cannot stop to make a meal or do not have your protein tub with you. Besides that, it's a waste of money. Almost all "convenient" items are highly overpriced.
    I think every person should eat at a budget for one or two weeks. No more than $3 a day worth. Then you can truely see the value of the dollar and how far it can go. Also see how expensive your habits once was and what you could have purchased using the same money.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    a lot of protein bars have soy protein (garbage) in them.

Care to cite any sources? All the research I did suggests that soy protein is excellent. (not bar specific)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Care to cite any sources? All the research I did suggests that soy protein is excellent. (not bar specific)

My only source is my palate. I don't care for soy, other than soy sauce on Chinese food. My go-to source of plant-based protein is hemp seeds. It kicks soy's *kitten* when it comes to protein and EFAs.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    A protein bar is good if your trying to meet your calorie/protein goal and currently on the move and cannot stop to make a meal or do not have your protein tub with you. Besides that, it's a waste of money. Almost all "convenient" items are highly overpriced.
    I think every person should eat at a budget for one or two weeks. No more than $3 a day worth. Then you can truely see the value of the dollar and how far it can go. Also see how expensive your habits once was and what you could have purchased using the same money.

That's an interesting challenge. We actually had to do this recently for financial reasons. It really sucks. It's a lot of work to plan out a day of nutrition that way, but yes, it can be done.

I don't eat protein bars often. (That was an example I took based off of comments on another thread.) I have yet to find any hemp-based protein, so they are only in emergencies. I do enjoy making things from scratch when I have time. Sometimes I cook in batches on the weekends. In fact, I'm about to make about 4 pounds of meatballs soon with a mixture of veal (on sale!), pork sausage and ground beef.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

All I need to know is that one of the USA's leading produced foods is soy beans and I know that any "research" done is going to be screwed up... kinda like a few other popular "foods" out there...

That and soy enhances and increases estrogen production... nuff said
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Yes, this is true. They vary VERY widely. But I am just thinking that your body doesn't know if it's spinach or kale or if its Reese's cups. I am thinking that the body works based off of the chemical breakdowns. Anyway, that was my point. Just something to think about. My guess is that the answer to questiong 2 in the OP is "Yes!" (But of course, I'm willing to accept being wrong. I just don't see how the body systems could operate any other way.)

It sounds like an excuse to keep eating junk food instead of focusing on nutrient dense food to me.

SMH
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    My body definitely knows when I eat real food or not. I don't eat protein bars, I haven't seen any that have enough fat, low enough carb or have acceptable ingredients. (People saying soy is healthy need to revisit their research and explore some new sources, including what powers control the food industry.)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    For all those that think your body "knows" what you eat, you have very active imaginations. You body breaks down and processes what you feed it. If that is nutrient dense food then, over time, you will give your body what it needs to thrive and it will. If not, and your are constantly taxing your liver and other systems with poor nutrition, your body will not thrive due to the toxins and stress you are putting on it. Things that an individual may have a high sensitivity to, like gluten or sugar or nitrites, could certainly cause a more immediate reaction.

But to answer the original question, no you body does not know the difference if you eat a protein bar vs. a well prepared meal in the short term. It just processes what you give it. Long term? That a whole different story.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options

^^ true dat
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    For all those that think your body "knows" what you eat, you have very active imaginations. You body breaks down and processes what you feed it. If that is nutrient dense food then, over time, you will give your body what it needs to thrive and it will. If not, and your are constantly taxing your liver and other systems with poor nutrition, your body will not thrive due to the toxins and stress you are putting on it. Things that an individual may have a high sensitivity to, like gluten or sugar or nitrites, could certainly cause a more immediate reaction.

But to answer the original question, no you body does not know the difference if you eat a protein bar vs. a well prepared meal in the short term. It just processes what you give it. Long term? That a whole different story.
    This ^^^
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    in short...your body ( aside from raising bloodsugar levels, storing calories, causing gas/bloating , etc ) doesnt give a hoot what you just ate...cant tell if it was a peanut butter cup or a bunch of spinach. Its just gonna withdraw the nutrients and use them as it needs.