How does MyFitnessPal help you loose weight?

Options
Hi! To all of you who have lossed weight witht the help of MyFritnessPal,

I want to know how this website has helped you to loose weigh because I know it lets you put in food you've eaten and all but how exactly does it help you loose weight?

Like I only want to loose a bit of weight but I dont know how to loose weight! Please help.

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    First, it's lose not loose.

The site helps you lose weight by putting you at a calorie deficit. It calculates that for you. So, just eat, when you hit your calories for the day, stop eating. Eventually you'll learn how to stay within that easily. When youre finished, change your preferences to "maintenance" and your calories will increase, so you can eat more. It's very easy.
  • martintanz
    Options
    For many folks, weight gain happens in the shadows. Weight gain are the mystery calories. That second, or third helping at the all you can eat buffet. The cinammon role, or sweet coffee drink you mindless consume at the mall. The pizza, wings, chips and beer you mindless shovel in while watching a ball game.

MFP sets a bar and forces you to account for what you eat. Sure you can cheat, but at least you are aware that you are cheating. In addition to forcing you to cut back or eliminate some high calorie foods, in some cases, it will force you to cut back when you dindulge in, say, fast food. If you have a 1,500 calorie limit, you might choose a 350 calorie single burger and a side salad, rather than an 800 or 1,000 calorie gut buster, along with large fries and a coke, which would put you over for the entire day.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    You can't lose weight without cutting calories. MFP makes it easier to track your calories. It is the only thing that works for me. I can't keep within my calorie limits unless I know what my caloric limit is and how many calories I've had today. I'm done losing weight and I'm on maintenance. One other time I lost weight and when I stopped tracking my calories, I gained much of it back. When I went back to tracking my calories, I lost it again and more.
  • Sojaided34
    Options
    It's accountability. If you eat nothing but junk and see it, it may make you change your eating habits. Also shows you how many calories you can eat in a day so you don't go over. Exercise and eating right are the only way to lose weight. Add me if you want.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I find that it helps immensely when people correct my grammar or spelling when English is maybe not my first language.

I like MFP because it allows me to track, what I track is up to me.
  • CrueChix
    Options
    It also helps me that I have friends on here that keep me accountable. Make sure you are honest on your logs, and let others see your food intake. For me, accountability is key.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It tells you exactly how many calories to eat to lose your goal amount of weight. Eat what it tells you and on average you should lose that much/week. It worked for my cut phase (o.5lb/week loss setting) and now I am doing a bulk 0.5lb/week gain goal, and MFP tells me how much to eat to achieve those results.
  • dietanderson
    Options
    I've lost weight and my spelling has improved too!
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    By raising your awareness of how many calories your consuming vs how many calories your expending. I love this site and it has helped me immensely toward reaching my goal.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Do you have a USB port? You need to hook yourself up to your computer and then download your weight loss onto your body. It's pretty painless once you get used to it.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Do you have a USB port? You need to hook yourself up to your computer and then download your weight loss onto your body. It's pretty painless once you get used to it.

well done
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Made me aware that I was eating way too much, and the quality of food I was eating was not making me healthier.

The awareness is the first step. From there, the changes you need to make will present themselves.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    It helps by not only tracking things for you and helping you set that bar, but it also makes you accountable! THAT is what I like about it and how it has helped me.

When I am made accountable, it helps to keep me on track! I have made some AWESOME friends and by motivating them to do their best, it pushes me to do MY best!!!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    For me it's about seeing what I was actually putting in my body before versus now. When you see those numbers and relate it back to how you were eating and how you are now it makes you want to make healthier choices.

For example, the average American puts in well over 350 carbs, which is so ridiculously high, when we really only need 150-200 grams for energy. For me this was a huge change.
  • sssygirl
    sssygirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    For me..I was portion heavy..it made me really see HOW MUCH I was eating. Also I think in the busyness of life we are blinded..oh its a salad..or only 1 brownie..but we don't realize that a brownie everyday or on top of the pasta and the chips adds up.

It made me take a long hard look at what i was eating..because I had been working out for over a year and a half and nothing was coming off.

Sure I have stumbled along the way (like ALL this summer :0) but it makes it much easier to get back up and try again.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I don't have loose weight, nor do I want my weight to become loose.
  • punkinkat
    punkinkat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    As weird as this will sound, I think MFP is working for me because it appeals to my naturally geeky, gamer frame of mind. If you stay within your calorie levels, log in every day, and exercise... You win!!!! It's as simple as that.

I've tried watching what I eat before, without much success. MFP just made it "click" and I'm not entirely sure why -- other than the fact that I really, really, really like winning. :D
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It is simply a tool for you. It can not "MAKE" you lose weight. There is still some work on your part. Unless you are willing to put in the time, the site will not help you. For the ones who put in the time and the asperations, it is a very beneficial tool. Can't hurt to give it a try? I love this site! >:O)
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I look stuff up BEFORE I eat it. No more surprises.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.