Does Anyone Else Do This?

Options
I have found that since I have been dieting and exercising I am doing this very odd.... thing.
I will often think "I am hungry" and then go to the kitchen. I will spend a good few minutes wondering around the kitchen, opening cupboards, drawers, the fridge, the freezer and having a look inside.

I will stare for a while, maybe pick up a few things and then end up thinking... no.. and going back and sitting down.
I will also offer to do any cooking for my family and longingly prepare all the tasty ingrediants but then end up putting a diet meal of my own on to it for myself.
I do this maybe once or twice a day. It's very odd behaviour.... it seems to help the hunger pangs though for some reason...
Very odd behaviour indeed....:indifferent:

Replies

• JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing with searching for food before deciding I don't need it. :indifferent: IDK why. Hubs always says "Just come back in here, we both know you're not going to eat anything" :tongue:
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    not odd at all, I do that ALLLL the time. Its a laerned behavior, before i was eating healthy I ate when I was bored, so whenever I'm bored now I get up to get something to eat but then my new healthier mentality kicks in and I realize as I'm staring at the fridge that I'm not really hungry. :wink:
  • Amberly10
    Amberly10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    LOL I do the same thing!! I also do it with shopping. I will walk around the grocery store or even sometimes a department store and put things in my cart. By the time I make it to the register though I have put 95% of it back. I do this mostly if I have not made a list of what I need lol.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I do it sometimes too- then I realize the 250 calories that are in that ice cream or cookies aren't worth the time I'd have to spend on the elliptical to burn them off!
  • sleepl8s
    Options
    I have to agree with Nikki cuz I used to be the same. When I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do with myself, I'd go to the kitchen to see if there was anything I wanted. Even now, when my husband and I are sitting at home bored on a Saturday and we're trying to figure out what to do, going OUT to eat will pop into my head even though I might not be hungry. Now, because I"ve been working so hard to stay fit.......I'll try and do anything BUT linger in my kitchen or go out to eat....but the thoughts still pop into my head.
  • mayhem1969
    mayhem1969 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do it too. Now that I am more calorie conscious, I am far more concerned with the caloric cost of the food I consume. So, like you, I am less likely to simply go to the kitchen and grab the first thing that strikes my fancy, like chips or cookies. I know that the costs of such calories aren't worth it giving my weight loss goals. I find it simpler to just go sit down, then deal with the caloric cost of making poor food choices.