egg whites vs egg yolks

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Actually large cafeterias use cartons of egg whites -- separating yolk from white is something a lot of restaurants etc. won't do.

Seriously? Separating the white from the yolk takes an extra 3 seconds per egg. If you have trouble separating egg whites, you shouldn't be in the food industry.

How many times have you personally asked for an egg white omelet and been turned down because they "won't do that"?
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    . So i got a normal omelet with spinach feta and tomato. I didn't enjoy it as much because i love egg whites and the whole time i was eating it i just knew how fattening it was.

Also, how many calories do you think this was? I don't know what to log for MFP.

facepalm.jpg

^^ This.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Actually large cafeterias use cartons of egg whites -- separating yolk from white is something a lot of restaurants etc. won't do.

Seriously? Separating the white from the yolk takes an extra 3 seconds per egg. If you have trouble separating egg whites, you shouldn't be in the food industry.

How many times have you personally asked for an egg white omelet and been turned down because they "won't do that"?

It's actually an increased risk of salmonella if you are using the shells to separate the yolk from the white -- it's a health department thing, lots of places won't do it for that reason.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy. Not the egg whites, the whole eggs with spinach and feta. Yum..
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It's actually an increased risk of salmonella if you are using the shells to separate the yolk from the white -- it's a health department thing, lots of places won't do it for that reason.

Can you name any?

I call BS. Salmonella exists inside the egg. It still gets cooked. So does chicken. Do these places not cook chicken either?
  • donnamdmiller
    Options
    She's said a couple of times shes at college. The don't use "WHOLE" eggs. They have already pasteurized eggs in a carton. They don't actually measure them out when they pour them. So 3 or 4 could very well be as accurate as she can get.

That being said I truly believe that the the whole egg is better for you than just the egg whites. The yolk is actually where all the nutrients are. The protein alone makes up for anything you can perceive as bade. As for the fat cut back on something at lunch if you are really worried. But I don't think you really need to worry. Its one meal out of the whole day.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Can you name any?

I call BS. Salmonella exists inside the egg. It still gets cooked. So does chicken. Do these places not cook chicken either?

I'm not trying to argue with you, I worked in a restaurant for 5 years, they did not separate eggs for the very reason I gave you. It's more that you're tossing yolks away or leaving them lay around and they get used.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Now I want eggs.
    :-/
  • loopingcaterpillar
    Options
    Look up "entire chocolate cake" and then log it as that

i can not stop laughing. is laughing burning calories? i need to get out more.....
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    I eat eggs every day (I have chickens). The fat in the egg is in the yolk. A whole egg has 90 calories. The problem isn't the yolk. The problem is the 3 or 4 eggs and the feta cheese.

Do you know how much salt and fat feta cheese has?

Learn to log. Click on food. Put in the food you ate. Click add. It will tell you the nutritional content.

It's an education.

Yep...this right here ^^^^ ((((clapping))))
  • careyannal
    Options

Have you ever worked in a restaurant? Especially a busy one at breakfast time? They do NOT have the time to sit there cracking eggs much less seperating the yolks. The eggs are all cracked before hand, scrambled before hand, etc. They're not going to throw away hundreds of yolks per day so they use the egg white from a carton.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Can you name any?

Also, here you go: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/egg_products_and_food_safety/index.asp under
    "Why Are Egg Products Useful?".
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    OK this may sound stupid, how can they be out of egg whites, but not regular eggs? Have they heard of egg white seperation? LOL Just made me laugh today, sorry!

Yes, I see that now.... I hadnt seen page 2. :O)
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg...it isnt gonna hurt you.....the yolk is so nutrient dense you'd be crazy to pass it up. Eggs are not as bad as once thought.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    OK this may sound stupid, how can they be out of egg whites, but not regular eggs? Have they heard of egg white seperation? LOL Just made me laugh today, sorry!

it was actually mentioned already--several times.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    It's probably not that many more calories. 3-4 yolks are around maybe 200 if that. I personally love egg yolks, so I wouldn't have a problem. Other thing to consider though is that part of those calories are protein, so it's not all bad.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks aren't really that bad for you, I just avoid them because they taste disgusting. Even thinking about them is... :sick:

With the egg white/salmonella thing... you can get salmonella contamination from the egg shell. I was always told to wash eggs before cracking them and the eggs are usually fine if fully cooked.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

it was actually mentioned already--several times.

Thank you.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with eggs again? Oh yea YOLKS ARE EVIL........I heard they actually have weapons of mass destruction, but won't let the U.N. in. Stupid Jerky Yolks...
  • venushunter
    Options
    I love eggs and I never separate them , there's so much goodness in the yolk - it's a source of iron as well as protein.

There's so many worse things you could eat, if you're managing to avoid junk food and processed fats and sugar etc, and egg yolks are the worst thing you've had - you're doing great!!