Doctor results and 1 year in (pics)

Options
lrazzo
lrazzo Posts: 15 Member
This is my first post on the boards but I thought I'd share a victory and a success story as well as some photos. Last year in September I went for an annual doctors visit and got the very scary news that my blood sugar was borderline pre-diabetic, that my cholesterol was high at around 223 and that my blood pressure wasn't great. I was around 292 pounds at that point. I didn't realize how awful I felt or how badly I had been treating myself. It's so easy to just get used to the body you're in.

I was so mad at myself for so many reasons that all of you I am sure are familiar with yourselves. We've all been there and I don't need to say those things again. I have been heavy all my life, have so many bad feelings and memories associated with it and have struggled with weight even as a college athlete. When I was upset about these results and talking to a friend she said to me "You have always your whole life done your best work when backed up against a wall. This is no different. Take the passion you put into your career and your independence and channel it, for once, into your health." It was right around that moment that I resolved myself and took my first walk. I struggled just to walk 20 minutes and a half mile a year ago.

So that brings me to today. I just got my results back from the doctor. This year, I've run (RUN!) six 5Ks (albeit very slowly), learned to love exercising, lost 65 pounds, visiting a trainer regularly and pushed myself as hard I could... and that's all been wonderful and I feel triumphant but it was really these doctor results that I was focused on. Health, not weight.

So my doctor called and the results are in: My cholesterol is a healthy 187, my sugar is back in completely normal range and my blood pressure is totally normal. I have been able to in a year turn it all around and I could not be happier about those results. I've gone from a size 22/24 to a 16. I can borrow my friends cloths. I feel antsy when I don't work out. I choose me.

I have a long way to go. Another 50 pounds at least if not more, but I keep reminding myself this is a marathon, not a race. And if it takes me another year then so be it. I'd like to run a 10k this year. I'd like to get under 200 pounds, but most of all I'd like to continue to be healthy.

before.jpg
after.jpg

Replies

• ChunkiChica
    Options
    Hmm...not seeing the pics...

FANTASTIC job! You've worked hard, and it shows in your health. Congratulations on your achievements, and keep up the great work!
  • lrazzo
    Options
    Trying to upload pics now but code isn't working?
    hmmmm. Will keep trying.
  • mrsoz22
    mrsoz22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options

before.jpg
    after.jpg

Way to go!
  • lrazzo
    Options
    Thanks for the assist! Now my pics are working! :)
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You look AMAZING! Congrats on your new found health and all the hard work that you put in!
  • smalleyez06
    smalleyez06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Fabulous job!! It is amazing what we can do when we put our minds to it. It was a doctors appointment that got me started on this journey as well. Some how I have never had any issues with blood pressure, sugar or cholesterol but I still know the weight I started at was not healthy. I am glad you had a great appointment and have been able to achieve so much.
  • Yummamamma
    Yummamamma Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    huge accomplishment! way to go!! you look great ;)
  • lrazzo
    Options
    Thanks! Funny thing is I don't even have any "official" before pics because I have never in my life believed this was an achievable goal. It's been a revelation to be able to make these changes over a year and stick with it. I feel like I'm past the halfway point and I know this is going to get harder as I go but there's something about having gotten this far that now I believe I can do it.

Thanks for the kudos. Maybe in a year I'll post again with my goal pictures? I hope so. But either way, I am so glad to be healthy. So glad to have proven myself wrong.
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome achievement and thanks for sharing your success!
  • Pummelig
    Options
    You look great!
    Keep up the good work... I just started but I´ll post picutres once I reach my first goal.
  • Megatoine
    Megatoine Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I too have been driving my pre-diabetic number back!! It can be done. Good for you.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Great Job so far, keep on track.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! What great health results and you look pretty good too!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Great job getting healthy! Thank you for sharing.
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    whay to go girl. Keep up the hard work. You are so worth it. Hugs:drinker:
  • Vicara7
    Options
    Phenomenal pictures! Congrats to you. I appreciate your sharing...gives me inspiration.
  • vxh2010
    Options
    You are a great inspiration, thanks for sharing your story. :)
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have so much respect for you girl. Good for you! NEVER give up.
  • wajihabutt
    Options
    wow..!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!