The Scale Lies!

Options
I typically weigh in on Wednesday, once per week. Yesterday I thought, why not weigh today as well... As of yesterday I had gained 2 lbs over one week. As of today, down 4 lbs from yesterday. Obviously I didn't really lose 4 lbs, the scale just fluctuates!!!! If you weigh in once a week, don't take it too seriously, let it ruin your progress or your day!!

Replies

• brittrose33
    Options
    I agree. I can fluctuate over 5 pounds in a day. Before joining MFP I lost 10 pounds with moderate exercise and diet, but finally stepped it up a notch and ended up gaining 2 pounds in 10 days, but also lost an inch and a half everywhere. I try to focus on how I look and how clothes fit me now, as well as measurements. Everyone keeps telling me I lost weight, and it makes me giggle since I've actually gained weight. I'm apparently easily amused. :wink:
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    could also be the scale or it could be water weight. i've seen that a few times when weighing myself. like if i eat chinese food i can guarantee everytime the next day i get on that scale, it would show i gained 2-3 lbs. but if i weigh again the following day, i would have lost 3-4 lbs. i always thought it's because i gained 2-3 lbs of water weight from the chinese food and then also minus the 1-2 lbs just from normal burned calories. chinese food is high in sodium so everytime i eat it, i dont even bother weighing myself the following day because i already know its going to show i gained weight when that's not actually the case. so i dont think its necessarily because the scale lies, i think its because the scale measures everything and can't differentiate between fat and water weight gain. and i'm not sure on this, but i've heard there are more sophisticated scales out there that can do that and give a more accurate weight measurement.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I always think it's way better to think in terms of overall weight loss over time rather than weight lost per week, e.g. losing 4 lbs in one week then nothing for the next 2 is still over 1 lb per week. And if you stick with it the weight will always start moving down again.

But I do also think it's much better to focus on how you look and feel in your clothes as it's always a better gauge than the scales.
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh, that water weight can be a b**** sometimes.