losing motivation again

Options
how am i gaining weight!? so discouraging :(

Replies

• BamaGirl777
    Options
    Can't really tell you. Can't view your food diary. Are you eating all of your food and drinking your water? Going over calories? I wish I could be of more help.:smile:
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    it would help if you opened your diary so we could see what you have been eating...are you drinking enough water? are you eating back your exercise calories? are you measuring? because you can gain weight but lose inches.
  • miltongurl05
    miltongurl05 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    how am i gaining weight!? so discouraging :(

A lot of factors could cause you to gain weight. What are you eating? What exercise/activities are you doing (if any)? Medications can also affect weight. We would need a lot more information in order to target what is causing you to gain weight.
  • cbrunger
    cbrunger Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I opened up my diary. I don't track my water on here, but I do drink it throughout the day. I'm doing the Shred and I was told to mark it as General Circuit Training
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options
    Maybe try eating a couple snacks in there and cutting your meal cals back just a little. How much weight have you gained and when did it start? Water can cause quite a bit of scale frustration!
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    It almost looks like you arent eating enough of the right foods. I am not an expert so I may not be 100% correct but, maybe split up your meals to smaller meals in the day and eat all your calories. The eating your exercise calories is still debateable but, maybe try that for a couple weeks.

I have noticed that the more processed foods or heavy carbs I eat, the harder it is for me to lose weight.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I found that eating whole foods, cutting out processed foods, salt, sugar, oil, saturated fats, and adding in lots of raw veggies and fruits worked great for me. You may be interested in Eat To Live www.drfuhrman.com You can eat more food, get lots of nutrition, and feel better!
  • Southern_Belle89
    Options
    Also try tracking sodium & carbs! Sodium can make you hold onto water weight which can be super frustrating.
  • MustangSally62
    Options
    I'm feeling discouraged too so you're not alone. Only lost 4 lbs since 9/11. I am drinking more than the requested amount of water but am sure my exercise is not what it should be. Have Strep right now & feel bummed.
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    Looking at your diary shows a high percentage of carbs, and a low percentage of protein. Personally, for me, when I add even small amounts of carbs into my diet, my weightloss stalls. I eat low carb all the time. Protein first, then veggies, then fruits, and then, carbs - unless I am out and starving - then, I grab what I can quick.

Also, exercise calories on MFP are notoriously high - I have a fit bit, and noticed that its actually about 1/3 of the calories burned.

Try changing up your diet - fresh foods and lean meats... ditch the breads. See what happens - for me, it changed my life, and yes, it is something that will take some getting used to, but will be worth it in the end - I dont plan on adding carbs back into my diet even once I level out - they make me feel tired and weak.

Good luck.
  • miltongurl05
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of foods with high sodium when glancing through your diary. Even though your calories are within your goal, the sodium content in foods makes your body retain water. Fast food items, frozen meals, condiments, cheeses, lunch meats, etc. have a high sodium content. Water retention makes the number on the scale higher than what it really is.

Also, even if the scale goes up in some cases, you are losing inches. You need to measure and weigh yourself. Relying on the scale to give you all of the facts will end up frustrating you. Our weight can fluctuate in a day by up to 8 pounds. It's not fat, it's water retention. Depending on how much weight you want to lose and the amount of calories you burn on a daily basis with exercise, you may need to adjust your calorie intake. Don't lose hope. We are all struggling, but we are here to help one another.
  • Rose9Bugg
    Rose9Bugg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I notice that you have been eating at McDonald's and that WILL significantly increase your weight gain...trust me I know. I was eating two sausage McMuffins and drinking a large coffee with 3 creams and 3 sugars about 4 times a week, and when i started tracking it, I was using nearly 700 calories just for breakfast alone!
  • Rose9Bugg
    Rose9Bugg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I notice that you have been eating at McDonald's and that WILL significantly increase your weight gain...trust me I know. I was eating two sausage McMuffins and drinking a large coffee with 3 creams and 3 sugars about 4 times a week, and when i started tracking it, I was using nearly 700 calories just for breakfast alone!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I would eliminate the alcohol, as it is notorious for stalling weight loss. I'd also add more vegetables like the nice salad you had, and cut back on the soup/stew and casserole. I have a feeling there may be more calories than you think in those meals.

Also, make sure you are measuring your foods properly. There are times when you're eating two cups of pasta in a meal: that's a lot of pasta!
  • miltongurl05
    Options
    I would eliminate the alcohol, as it is notorious for stalling weight loss.

I just noticed that on her diary and was about to comment before I saw your post. Yes, alcohol definitely stalls weight loss. Rather than have it several times a week at dinner time, I would lower that to once a week (one glass) or eliminate it completely.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I did a quick scan back about a week - didn't pay too much attention to your actual food choices, just how you were doing with calories. Most days you were under but there were a few where you were over so that probably evened out in the long run. Here are a few suggestions:

1) eat back at least half of your exercise calories. Don't force yourself but it's easy enough to have a handful of nuts or a Tbsp of peanut butter or a piece of fruit to make up at least some of the difference. If you don't eat enough to fuel your body, it will store what it think it needs (ie fat for energy)

2) not sure why you're tracking cholesterol but if it's because your cholesterol tests were high, you should know that dietary cholesterol has nothing to do with your blood lipid levels. Instead be more careful of your saturated and trans fat intake and make sure you're getting plenty of fiber (whole grains, green leafy veg). I would suggest adding sodium to your food tracker instead. As others have said, a few high sodium days and you'll likely go up or stay the same on the scale.

3) It's easy to say you're getting enough water but if you're not conscious of it, believe me, you can have days where you hardly drink any. It's ok not to track but do make sure, in some way, that you're getting at least 8 cups per day - more on the days you work out and have high sodium intake.

4) when you start working out, your muscles retain water as part of the natural healing process. If you're new to the shred, this is likely what the problem is. Keep working out and your body will get used to it. The same thing will happen any time you change up your workouts, especially if they involve any form of resistance/strength training. Pretty much any time you're sore, you're retaining water. It's pretty much the same reaction as when you twist your ankle and it swells only not as visible as it's spread out.

5) also, as a female, you should know that time of the month (TOM) can also be a water retention factor. Some women can gain as much as 5 pounds that week.

6) The scale is not the only way to measure success. Take measurements - when the scale doesn't move, sometimes your tape measure will. Be conscious of all NSVs (non scale victories) like someone complimenting you, being able to lift more weight than before, improving your balance, being able to walk up the stairs without feeling like you're going to die, etc. Celebrate these successes!

And finally, go to your profile page and fill in those three sections on the left. You will never stick to something if you don't have a clear reason in your mind as to why you're doing it. Whenever you start losing motivation again, refer to the "why I'm doing this" (I think that's what it's called) part and re-read, if not re-write it. There's nothing wrong with going back to square one. You can also utilize the blog feature here on MFP as kind of a journal - sometimes it helps to write things down and be able to go back and re-read them from time to time. Just DON'T GIVE UP!
  • miltongurl05
    Options
    @MinnieInMaine - Great advice! Definitely on point! :smile:
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Try something new! If you are restricting your calories, try adding a few hundred and eating smaller meals. Also, make sure you are drinking adequate water, but that's always a good thing.
    Try changing up your exercise and doing something different with it. Maybe increase the amount of days and change the kinds of exercise to include strength training(if you aren't already).
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Don't get upset at the results you're not getting from the work you're not doing.
  • cbrunger
    cbrunger Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thank you so much MinnieInMaine for the information it was specific and helpful!