Advice for someone with back issues??

Options
And no, I promise this is not a 'I want to sit on the couch but lose weight' post. In 2010 was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, herniated disc, and numerous pinched nerves. I am trying to avoid surgery until I have to (come on, who WANTS to go have back surgery??) And a recent follow up MRI concluded that it has gotten worse (stenosis), but not where I need to run out and get a surgeon tomorrow...yes, I know I am postponing the inevitable, I know....anyway, per the ortopedist- NO IMPACT. Whcih makes it extremely difficult to lose weight! I am walking- moderate pace) on the treadmill, but I need to 'up' that calorie burn eventually. Suggestions? Weights?
Of course my main focus needs to be on my core- and it's my lower back with all the issues...:(

Replies

• tayg30
    Options
    My husband has back problems also which prevents him from doing hard core high intensity workouts. He saw a infrocommercial for the workout Tai-Cheng through Beach Body and he decided to order it because he has seen me do a lot of the beach bodu workouts and get good results from them. I guess the workout is suppose to be catered to those with back and other joint injuries. Well, he ordered it and he did it for the 90 days and he did lose weight and get in good shape with it. So I would say maybe look into that workout. Good luck.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with the same thing in 2007 after years of problems, rare I was told for someone of my age. (Back problems and nerve pain started when I was about 18, possibly because of 2 whiplash incidents when I was 12-14 years old). I had microdiscectomy surgery in 2010 when I was 31. My neurosurgeon said my back looked like that of a 65-year-old :sad:

Until about 1 year post-surgery, the only exercise I did period was walking at a moderate pace. Anything else, including strenuous labor (like mowing the yard, even gardening) left me so stiff and in so much pain after, it became not worth it if I could avoid it at all. I did not have access to a pool but every doctor I saw recommended swimming or water aerobics if I could. I would occasionally do yoga or pilates but did it very slowly and very carefully since aggravating those nerves is so easy to do.

I think because of my age and because for a long time the worst of the pain was localized to my back with only occasional shooting pain down the leg, most doctors did not take me seriously and would prescribe pain meds instead of doing any tests. But something moved in there around Christmas of 07 with the most excruciating imaginable pain down my left leg and by the 4th day, I was in the ER. I wish I'd had the surgery sooner before the nerve damage became permanent (left leg, especially the quad, remains weaker than the right, the muscles cramp very easily, part of my calf is numb) but I do understand why my doctor wanted to exhaust all other options before surgery.

I wish you the best of luck, I know how miserable this type of injury can be.
  • MiaC123
    MiaC123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I will look into it definitely, thank you!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Mia,
    I have all those problems as well. I had spinal cord surgery in 2010 to boot. The best thing I did was buy a stationary bike (with a backrest). It is no-to-low impact and you can watch tv / listen to music (etc) while cycling. Seated light strength training is also very helpful. Yoga and other stretching programs will give you flexibility but be careful not to push too far or too hard (makes the pinched nerves worse).

There are also specific stretches for people with back problems. Check out: http://orthoncforms.com/forms/idler/back_pain_exercises.pdf
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've got scoliosis, and a while back I hurt my back somehow and had to be really careful exercising. Sitting hurt. What worked for me was:

Tai chi (under a competent instructor - it releases tension in your lower back and strengthens the muscles)
    Acupuncture (no joke - I was a total skeptic until all my pain went away)
    Physical therapy (up to a point, and it's better to learn back exercises from people who know how to deal with injuries)

If your doc says exercise is okay, then you should work your lower back and stretch it every day. Not over-work it - I mean really gentle stuff, but constantly progressing. Start with your own body weight and don't use machines - they isolate muscles and you need to work your entire core.
  • MiaC123
    MiaC123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great replies, thank you so much! My ortho also said swimming is the best thing- great. Now I need to buy a house. And a pool. The YMCA is REDICULOUSLY priced! I am going to look into and try each suggestion and see which works best! Thank you!! :flowerforyou: