hidden calories in drinks

Options
Hidden Calories in Drinks:
It is important that you stay hydrated during the day and getting your daily servings of fruits and vegetables is important. One way you can stay hydrated in a healthy way is by drinking fruit and vegetable juices. Sports drinks are also helpful as they help replace fluids and electrolytes lost during a fitness exercise routine. However, in your efforts to do any or all of these things, you may not realize that you are taking in hidden calories, which can lead to weight gain or even can sabotage your attempts to maintain a healthy weight.

Replies

• AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I always eat my fruit and veggies and drink water. I will not drink my calories.... water water water. I'd rather eat them! om nom nom :)
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I refuse to drink my calories. It is such a waste.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I always eat my fruit and veggies and drink water. I will not drink my calories.... water water water. I'd rather eat them! om nom nom :)

This^^^ You can get electrolyte replacements by eating fruits and veggies. You can blend those up and make awesome smoothies that actually nourish your body instead of adding chemicals to it. Gatorade and vitamin waters can't be as good for you as real food can. Juicing veggies is the best, if you want "watery" liquid.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I think they're aren't all that hidden. If it tastes sweet and you know it isn't diet, it's probably full of calories.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I don't see how drinks have "hidden calories" I mean, every drink I've had has calories listed. I rarely drink calories, but I do. And when I do, I count them in with my daily calorie goal. It's pretty simple, just like adding food, except this instance it's liquid food.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    They're only hidden if you don't read the label.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    They're not hidden, they're out there in plain site. Water is better for you (unless your a professional athlete).

If I drink a fruit or veg drink it better have alcohol in it to make it worthwhile!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    They're not hidden, they're out there in plain site. Water is better for you (unless your a professional athlete).

If I drink a fruit or veg drink it better have alcohol in it to make it worthwhile!

yep ^^^

but i usuallly drink wine if I ever drink my calories hehehe , other than that coffee with skim milk(30 cal) or water.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I think 'hidden' simply refers to the fact that so many are ignorant of how many calories there can be in soda, juice, etc.

Also, while I love me some G2 during an MMA workout, the whole 'electrolytes' things is garbage. You know what they are? Salt. That's it lol.
  • SpiritRockBernie
    Options
    I think they're hidden for most of the population, but not informed and aware awesome people here on MFP
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever try watering down your orange juice? Its not bad and saves calories. We don't always have good oranges so getting a small glass each day, 4 oz, is enough to get Vit C. So adding 3 to 4 oz of water gives you more to drink and its still good.
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Ditto (unless it's alcohol)
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever try watering down your orange juice? Its not bad and saves calories. We don't always have good oranges so getting a small glass each day, 4 oz, is enough to get Vit C. So adding 3 to 4 oz of water gives you more to drink and its still good.

I love that they sell it watered down for you and still charge the same price. Tropicana 50 = the most genius marketing plan (cause people are stupid) ***I know it's more than just watered down Tropicana but still...
  • lr8812
    lr8812 Posts: 111
    Options
    yea, i hardly ever drink my calories. once in a while i like to... but yea. maybe an orange juice once every week or two