So hungry at night

It doesnt' matter how much I eat during the day, I seem to be starving come 8pm. Do you have anything specific you do that prevents you from eating at night? I tend to 'binge' eat lately and I need to stop. From experience, could it be habit, not eating enough at a certain point throughout the day, something else?? Any tips would be great.

Replies

• RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    I am right there with you. I haven't found the magic trick to it, and I went to bed hungry last night because, eh...I did.
    Some things that help are making sure you are hydrated and also giving yourself a little snack of healthy fats and carbs and protein. Like cheese and crackers with an apple or something. It's gotta be someting I would look forward to eating, bc otherwise I will want to binge too. I wish I could say that it gets easier, but I haven't found the trick either....these things seem to help a tad though.
  • I have a half cup of cottage cheese about an hour before I go to bed. I also drink tons of water. It seems to be the only way to keep myself from emptying the fridge at night. Something high in protein, like cheese, nuts and meat (though cheese takes longer to digest), will keep your metabolism up and make you feel full longer. Hope this helps!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    As everyone says, staying hydrated helps. I also try to focus on a protein heavy diet.

One "trick" I learned for me is that if I have cravings early in the day, I will give into them early. I will generally err on the side of stuffing myself by lunch time because I've found if I hold off feeling hungry at all by 2 or 3, I'm usually fine the rest of the day. I always have a morning snack and I probably eat most of my calories before 1pm. I don't know why it works for me, but keeping full from the time I get up tends to help me get through the evening.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    I always save calories in order to have a snack in the evening. typically it's apple with peanut butter.
  • peachhunting
    peachhunting Posts: 59 Member
    I just go to bed...there's been a few nights where I hit the hay at 9h00.
  • I know that I'm always hungry at night so I just save calories for then. I have popcorn almost every night, and I still ended up losing more than my original goal and am actually supposed to gain weight back now. I don't think there is any reason to go to bed hungry.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    I just eat way more of my calories at night because I am hungriest then too. It doesn't matter what timeyou eat
  • I am also hungry at night I have all my snacks when i am watching TV so I try to sit down later to view not easy when the soaps are all on early I have recently bought a mini exercise bike and sit happily peddling away and don't feel guilty
  • this is exactly the time that I feel that urge to just cram everything into my mouth and mindlessly nom nom nom. What I've done lately is eat as lightly as possible so that in the evening if I want to have something heavier later in the day I can do it. I always have difficulty sleeping, so if I am hungry there is absolutely NO WAY I can go to sleep, so I have to do this.

Lately what I find does the job and satisfies my craving for something salty--I get shirataki noodles and a cream of chicken Lipton cup-a-soup (even two pouches if I want, as they are only 50 calories each!) I rinse off my shirataki noodles (40 calories, or 0 calories if you are using Miracle Noodles) and dump them into my cup-a-soup. Huge portion of very satisfying tasty soup that I can sip of/slurp the noodles while watching TV.

The only bad side effect of this snack is that if I have two pouches of the cup-a-soup, I usually gotta get up to pee around 4 am!

I also agree with the apple/peanut butter snack, but I have a hard time not overdoing it on the peanut butter so I use that one a little less.
  • forgot to mention--one other go-to snack for me at bedtime is two or three rice cakes with either a little bit of Skippy with honey peanut butter, or a slice of cheese melted on top. I consider this and the other snack I mentioned a little bit like junk food, though, so I try to make the rest of my day the healthiest food possible rather than relying on pre-made, non-fresh foods exclusively.