Spinning

Options
I Googled spinning, and I'm not sure how it's different from a stationary bike. And why are there classes for it? How is it different from a stationary bike, if at all?

I am just curious because I had never heard of it and I'm thinking of the "Sit and Spin" toy I used to play on as a kid. :tongue:

Replies

• martintanz
    Options
    Never heard of spinning? It has been popular for about 20 years.

http://www.cardiozonepr.com/spinninghistory.html
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The weighted wheel more closely approximates how a bike would react under hard riding conditions. Also the seat and handlebar position is more accommodating to an aggressive riding style similar to what you would do while using a road bike on a course with different grade hills.

By contrast, the regular stationary bike is more comfortable and lends itself to tv watching and kindle reading. But you can manipulate the intensity on either machine to suit your needs.
  • redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Spinning classes are intense nothing like the regular stationary bike, you work with alot of different resistance and different ways of riding the bike. I personally love it because it is a major burner for me, I like a challenge and everytime I do a spinning class it is a challenge for me, it is intense, but you will love it.

Nadia
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others. A spinning bike has no mechanics other than a tension wheel that you can turn to mimic hills, flat roads, etc. Since it has that tension, it's easier to stand on too. Since no programs are built in, the instructor leads you through the class in a certain way with of course the music blaring. I love spinning. It's a great workout and I feel really accomplished after a class as long as I followed along properly.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Spinning classes are intense nothing like the regular stationary bike, you work with alot of different resistance and different ways of riding the bike. I personally love it because it is a major burner for me, I like a challenge and everytime I do a spinning class it is a challenge for me, it is intense, but you will love it.

Nadia

This. It's just a 100 times better workout. It's also motivation because the whole time your working with others, to the music and being motivated by a "coach"/instructor. Definately intense.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Never heard of spinning? It has been popular for about 20 years.

http://www.cardiozonepr.com/spinninghistory.html

I have been pretty sedentary for 20 years. Until July, I hadn't deliberately exercised since 1991. :blushing:
  • Rokwell
    Rokwell Posts: 143
    Options
    I do it twice a week and it is awesome.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. It sounds interesting. At least now I will know what people are talking about! :flowerforyou:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My gym has just started doing it, and i've done 3 classes so far.

Yeah, the bike is more like a proper bike with gears. You follow the instructor and do things like put it into very low (or is it high?lol) gear and pretend you're going uphill, and then pretend you're off-road and stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down etc, then you do sprints, go as fast as you can for 30 seconds, slow down, do it again etc. It's like really intense interval training I guess.

I really enjoy it, it's definitely a good workout.